Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

177 posts, read 855,146 times

Advertisements

House 1 : 5 BR, 4.5 Baths
Upstairs -2nd master, jack and jill, 1 more bedroom, media, game room
Downstairs - Master, study, formal living, dining, family, kitchen
House is 600 yds from highway, 100 yds from retail, inner lot within community
4100 sqft, small backyd, 100x50 lot, inventory home, many more upgrades (lighting, flooring, bath, cabinets), bigger garage

House 2 : 4 BR, 3.5 Baths
Upstairs - jack and jill, media, game room
Downstairs - Master, 2nd bedroom, formal living, dining, family, kitchen
House is 100 yds from powerlines, inner lot within community,
3700 sqft, larger backyd, 100x60 lot, new construction, grand homes (!).

House 2 is $10k cheaper than the House 1

Last edited by jacob; 06-30-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM

6,715 posts, read 13,934,824 times
I would select house 2 in a heartbeat. I would rather be near the powerlines instead of the highway.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,575,403 times
I wouldn't select either - too big for me; I'd really hate those $500 electric bills in the summer (even with new construction).

That aside, how far away are they from work?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM

37 posts, read 106,667 times
It really depends on your personal needs. Do you need a second master? Would you prefer your master on the first or second floor? I would also check with a realtor about which one would be a harder resale in the future. There are a lot of people who absolutley will not buy a home if it is any where near a power line.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM

177 posts, read 855,146 times
Thats really my question. Which one is a harder resale ?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
Which direction to they face?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,210,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
House 1 : 5 BR, 4.5 Baths
Upstairs -2nd master, jack and jill, 1 more bedroom, media, game room
Downstairs - Master, study, formal living, dining, family, kitchen
House is 600 yds from highway, 100 yds from retail, inner lot within community
4100 sqft, small backyd, 100x50 lot, inventory home, many more upgrades (lighting, flooring, bath, cabinets), bigger garage

House 2 : 4 BR, 3.5 Baths
Upstairs - jack and jill, media, game room
Downstairs - Master, 2nd bedroom, formal living, dining, family, kitchen
House is 100 yds from powerlines, inner lot within community,
3700 sqft, larger backyd, 100x60 lot, new construction, grand homes (!).

House 2 is $10k cheaper than the House 1
Homes with a second bedroom AND a full bath downstairs are the best sellers. Many people have their elderly parents move in with them or visit and can't handle stairs. Is the condition equal?

Naima

Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,475,739 times
i choose #2. big backyard (to put in a pool) and less house to clean! (;

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 333,039 times
Hmmm...

When I read your two descriptions my immediate thought was that you were trying to gage the various negatives... highway & retail or power lines. If that's the case, I'd have to ask how much noise is there from the highway and/or retail and how visible the power lines are? After all, it's the noise & traffic from cars and the unsightliness of power lines that most are concerned about. (Fewer buyers are actually concerned about electromagnetic hazards.) So expressing these negatives in terms of yards is problematic... because 600yds might be quite well away from highway noise, and 100yds might be far enough so that retail or power lines can't be seen, depending on the positioning, treelines, etc. On the other hand, retail close by can be considered a positive by many buyers. I showed a home this weekend that backed up to a WalMart neighborhood center. I talked to one of the neighbors and she just LOVED the fact that she could walk to do her shopping! No joke.

If these are NOT your main concerns, then I think the answer is pretty simple... the better house is the one you feel most at home in!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
I'm probably 600 yards or less from a highway. Although it IS a tollroad and around the Dallas area that can be a postive. Strange but true (mostly higher end residential and retail around the tollroads in the Dallas area). Then you have some VERY HIGH DOLLAR estates in Dallas that back right up to the Dallas North Tollway. Doesn't hurt their value but if your Tom Hicks you can pay for the HUGE privacy wall to be built on your property line that backs up to it. Only at night out front when it is clear can I hear the traffic. In the backyard w/ all of the trees and fence you hardly hear it. As long as there are not TONS of very powerful lights shining on the highway and it is not a major congested highway at all hours of the day or night....... no big deal.

On the other hand being backed up to retail that has parking lot lights on 24 hours a day can be a PITA! Especially during cricket season. YUCK! The stores, retailers and developers don't turn off the lights on the property for safety reasons. Those lights are brighter than the highway lights. You also have more freight traffic to deal w/ as most freight deliveries are done in the wee hours of the morning. If you back right up to the wall seperating your house from the retail center you could have 18 wheelers sitting there for hours on end running all night long. Not a thing you can do about it either. Then the issue of the smell w/ the dumpsters behind them and the rodents they attract. A plus being backed up to a walmart - YUCK! Not hardly.

Power lines, most people don't want the giant high voltage power lines right outside their backdoor. If they are a bit away and not the first thing you see when you look out the windows and/or walk out the door then no big deal. But there are people that don't want to be within 100 miles of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: