Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM

119 posts, read 291,511 times

Advertisements

Seems rather clear to me what the survey says:

Quote:
In compiling its survey, Salary.com took into account local salaries, the cost of living and unemployment rates relative to the national average. It also considered diversity of industry, the education level of each city's population, proximity to post-secondary institutions, the percentage of residents below the poverty level and median commuting time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,581,635 times
I think the article is silly. To say one has a better chance of getting rich if you live in Plano when compared to Dallas (being at #45 our of 69) seems a bit silly. The DFW area in general has lots of high paying jobs. Living in Plano or Dallas doesn't really make a difference - what matters is how you apply what you have between your ears. A region like DFW has a set of resources and jobs. They aren't exclusive to one city within that region. I believe this is the point several folks are trying to make.

But someone is simply mashing data together to fill up their publications. It's irrelevant that the data is irrelevant. We all read it and increased their attractiveness to advertisers. So the article served their purposes.

Brian

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM

415 posts, read 504,547 times
I saw this yesterday on CNN. They then proceeded to make fun of Plano afterwards (talking about cowboys and mechanical bulls).

Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,581,635 times
Yeah, they don't even know the right reasons to make fun of Plano. What idiots!

(had to say it before Lakewooder did)

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

119 posts, read 291,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I think the article is silly. To say one has a better chance of getting rich if you live in Plano when compared to Dallas (being at #45 our of 69) seems a bit silly.
ranked the best and worst places to build personal wealth and raise a family

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

434 posts, read 1,479,491 times
the good that will come out of the article is that it brings the focus to DFW. It will help in continuing to attract more people, companies and development to the area.

I have had several out of state friends call me about the article just to confirm how good and comfortable it is in DFW. I encouraged them to come down and visit. I told them that we have plenty nice cities spread all over DFW.

Most of the bordering towns have contributed to each others successes. There are a lot of people in the bordering towns around Plano that live where they live b/c of the jobs that are in Plano. There will be some major suffering around town if JCP, Frito Lay, DR Pepper, EDS and the list goes on closes there doors.

So just give Plano a nice pat on the back for the well deserved honors and everyone can try harder next year if this recognition is important to your town.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM

636 posts, read 1,913,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The DFW area in general has lots of high paying jobs... A region like DFW has a set of resources and jobs. They aren't exclusive to one city within that region.
Brian
Uhh, believe it or not, we get that. Of course they aren't exclusive to one city. But some cities are going to have more, and some less. That's the whole point. Lancaster isn't just oozing with wealth, you know?

That's how they chose to break it down. Sorry you're having trouble with that, but all I can do is suggest you get over it. It's really not that hard to understand that they chose to base their comparison city to city.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,093,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Uhh, believe it or not, we get that. Of course they aren't exclusive to one city. But some cities are going to have more, and some less. That's the whole point. Lancaster isn't just oozing with wealth, you know?

That's how they chose to break it down. Sorry you're having trouble with that, but all I can do is suggest you get over it. It's really not that hard to understand that they chose to base their comparison city to city.
A few posts ago you noted how comical it was to see the lengths that some would go to discredit or bash Plano. With that comment about Lancaster, aren't you pretty much doing the same thing? If this report only ranks cities with more than 250,000 people, why use a small city of 36,000 as an example to prove your point? Of course a large city like Plano will have more jobs and resources than Lancaster.

While Lancaster is not "oozing with wealth," there are many middle and upper-middle class people who choose to live here.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,057,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
That's why it wasn't taken "to its lowest level of absurdity". Did you even read the article? The criteria used in the comparison wouldn't be applicable to a region.

Yes, they could have done it by neighborhood, they could have done it by side of the street in the neighborhood. They could have done it by region or state. They chose to do this comparison by city. For God's sake, they can use whatever criteria they wish, as long as the criteria are applied equally among all of the entities being considered.

It has become comical to see the lengths some will go to discredit Plano and other cities, while blindly clinging to their own selfish little views of their towns as the paragon of DFW lifestyle.
They can do what they want, but that doesn't make it statistically meaningful.

The entities (municipalities) are not uniform units of measure, and contain too many random variables to make possible a true apples-to-apples comparison. Plano and Dallas do not have comparable demographics, although you could find a portion of Dallas that may be roughly similar to Plano's demographics.

Try comparing Lakewood to Plano.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM

937 posts, read 2,900,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
Yes, you read it wrong. For starters, it's only for cities with populations over 250,000. So your experience in Carrollton is really irrelevant.

I don't really understand what your confusion is about this article. It's not rocket science.
I said the survey "should" be different. You can nitpick all you want. That is fine. Obviously some disagree with you and some agree. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I am not trying to bash Plano. It is a good place for people raising a family. I just think this sounds ridiculous:

"The best city in which to build vast personal wealth is Plano, according to a recent survey from Salary.com." HAHAHAHA cracks me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas