U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,534,806 times
I have relatives in various city governments around the area. From what they have said Collin Creek will be shuttered in a few years. It has already started looking like Valley View and w/ VV closing those shoppers will move on over to CC since it does cater to them. The operation moving into the old Mervyn's location is NOT suitable to attract a more middle to upper middle mall shopper. They are going to have problems w/ teens loitering BIG TIME!!! While it is not a "bar" it is an entertainment complex. That is NOT going to bring the average mall shopper out to spend money. Yes, Firewheel has made a HUGE dent in Collin Creek. As soon as Firewheel opened many tenants closed their CC operations and moved to Firewheel.

While in the very beginning I was one of the VERY unhappy people about the whole open air mall concept it has turned out to be a pretty nice thing. I like that if I need to visit only 1 store I can do so w/o having to go thru the entire mall. I NEVER park on the main drags as motorists do NOT even watch for people backing out and they are supposed to. I've figured out all of the best places to park on the exterior to go straight to a mall store I need to. So far it is doing well and new stores are coming. Dick's Sporting Goods recently opened. We have some great restaurants. If you like the brazilian steak places then try the one over here as it is 1/2 the price and just as good.

I've only been in Willow Bend a few times and each time it was DEAD!!! Some of the tenants were NOT tenants you would see in a middle class mall much less a higher end mall. I think they tried to hard to compete w/ Northpark and The Galleria.

I won't touch Stonebriar unless it is the ONLY PLACE left and it is something I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED! That place is just NUTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 PM

100 posts, read 269,013 times
As a Dallas newbie (4th week now), I'm really bummed about Dillard's closing at VV...and the demise of the mall as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm a JCPenney fan and drove out to VV last week. The JCPenney seemed nice, but didn't get outside of it.

If VV Dillard's closes, what's the nearest middle-class mall? Where in Dallas will I go for my Dillard's and JCP fix? Seriously, this isn't a rhetorical question. After that Dillard's is gone, where is the next-closest one in N Dallas?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,219,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2fly View Post
As a Dallas newbie (4th week now), I'm really bummed about Dillard's closing at VV...and the demise of the mall as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm a JCPenney fan and drove out to VV last week. The JCPenney seemed nice, but didn't get outside of it.

If VV Dillard's closes, what's the nearest middle-class mall? Where in Dallas will I go for my Dillard's and JCP fix? Seriously, this isn't a rhetorical question. After that Dillard's is gone, where is the next-closest one in N Dallas?
There is a very nice Dillard's (Macy's too) at Northpark. Don't know where the nearest JCP would be.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 PM

15,992 posts, read 25,832,668 times
Frasier: The other day I was asked out by a... this twenty-two year old girl that I met in a mall.

Niles: That is alarming.

Frasier: Well, I turned her down.

Niles: No no, you were in a mall. Did anyone see you?

[1.20]Fortysomething

Old 07-03-2008, 04:20 PM

2,395 posts, read 5,653,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
There is a very nice Dillard's (Macy's too) at Northpark. Don't know where the nearest JCP would be.
There is going to be a JCPenny's in what use to be the Timbercreek Apartments that are being redeveloped at Northwest Highway and Skillman, across the street from Home Depot. I don't know when it's planning to be opened, but I'm happy to have a JCP this close to my home.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 PM

869 posts, read 1,933,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
Speaking of Mervyns, were they bought out by Kohl's or something? Those two stores seem way too similiar not to be related in someway?
Nope...Mervyns was a part of Target Corporation...they were sold to a group headed up by Cerebrus, the same people that bought part of Albertsons...

Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM

1,538 posts, read 4,716,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
It doesn't sound from this story that what is going into the Mervyn's space is a bar.

Plano's Collin Creek Mall getting redo | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/120507dnbuscollincreek.68a3a702.html - broken link)

Edited to add: Apparently it's already open, definately not a bar.

Amazing Jake's Food & Fun - A family entertainment center and pizza buffet with go karts, bowling, arcade games, kiddie rides and more!

Speaking of Mervyns, were they bought out by Kohl's or something? Those two stores seem way too similiar not to be related in someway?
At some point there was a sports bar that was going to go in there. I'm no T-totaler, but I don't think bars belong in malls. Glad something else went in.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 PM

449 posts, read 1,135,699 times
I don't think it was Firewheel that killed Collin Creek. Once Stonebriar opened, it made absolutely no sense for people in Central and West Plano (high disposable income spenders), to go there.

Almost every good store in Collin Creek has been duplicated in Stonebriar.

I see two long-term options for Collin Creek: turn it into an outlet mall, or raze it and turn it into an outdoor mall type attraction.

Willow Bend isn't as dead as it used to be. A lot of the high end stores moved, and they made an effort to get more "normal" retailers. I like it, mainly b/c it doesn't get nearly the traffic that Stonebriar gets. That place is a zoo.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,829,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
I don't think it was Firewheel that killed Collin Creek. Once Stonebriar opened, it made absolutely no sense for people in Central and West Plano (high disposable income spenders), to go there.
I, for one, would pick CC over Stonebriar any day, just to avoid the shear madness and insane traffic in that area, and I am in Central Plano.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,717,194 times
Why is the area around Stonebriar so bad? Is it because there is only one way off the Tollway to 121 to get there? Isn't 121 going to be turned into a freeway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas