Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
It's ok that you are miserable in the heat, can't get used to it and never will. We get it. Just accept that not everyone feels the same way as you and there's no need to be a drama queen about it.
Good point. I have troubles too, but I don't use this forum to complain about them to strangers.

I think the complainant somehow believes that his discomfort is our fault, and we need to be punished for inflicting the Dallas July heat on him. I was in a good mood today, bought myself a nifty little digital camera, and now here comes Dan to let me know what a deluded fool I really am.

So if Dan can't be happy, he's not going to let Aceplace be happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Good point. I have troubles too, but I don't use this forum to complain about them to strangers.

I think the complainant somehow believes that his discomfort is our fault, and we need to be punished for inflicting the Dallas July heat on him. I was in a good mood today, bought myself a nifty little digital camera, and now here comes Dan to let me know what a deluded fool I really am.

No, by all means enjoy the camera. Mine is one of my favorite toys . I really don't get these posts by people who can't deal with the heat and because they can't, they accuse those of us who can of trying to pretend this is San Diego (or Cape Town!).

So for the sake of prospective Dallas residents, here's my take on it. I'm from Southern California where to me the weather is perfect. I really don't like snow and cold weather. I cannot deal with it. I'm the biggest wimp in the world when it drops below 30. Many people love it and deal just fine with it. I'm not one of them. It takes me forever to warm up and I can't stand having to spend 15 minutes bundling up and 15 minutes to take off the 20 layers I had to put on.

When it comes to it being really hot though, like it is now, I can hang. Granted I don't love it, but to me it's not a big deal. I went for a jog after work at 7:30pm and it was in the mid-90's. Not pleasant but I drank lots of water and came home to my nice air conditioned apartment and cooled down.

My point is that some people hate the heat and can't adjust. And that's ok. But that's not a universal experience, just as my own aversion to the cold is not universal.

SO take the angry bitter postings with a grain of salt. Many of us survive just fine in the hot weather, and who knows, maybe you will too!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,789 times
Oh! It's a wonderful 98 degrees out on my patio this afternoon. I think I might need to go inside and get a sweater. Shivering!..... Hot Chocolate anybody?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,732 times
Anybody wanna trade places with me. I will take 105 degrees vs. running outta my place due to an unexpected earthquake and not knowing if this is going to be the 8.0! I am so ready to go right now!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I really don't get these posts by people who can't deal with the heat and because they can't, they accuse those of us who can of trying to pretend this is San Diego (or Cape Town!).
Since I'm the one who brought up Cape Town, let me say I wasn't complaining or accusing anyone. I do miss a Mediterranean climate and will be glad when summer ends this year. But, overall, I don't feel North Texas climate is that bad.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Anybody wanna trade places with me. I will take 105 degrees vs. running outta my place due to an unexpected earthquake and not knowing if this is going to be the 8.0! I am so ready to go right now!
They've been saying that for years in California. I can remember hearing those words about CA falling into the ocean when I was a kid and that was decades ago. I saw it on Nightline tonight and they indicated it was a major earthquake. I don't think it qualified as such. I know they're scary and I'm not making light of it and one never knows when another bigger one will be upon the Californians. Hurry up and get out here. When are you planning on changing states? If you're ever in a tornado, you may wish you were back in California.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 62,439 times
4 dead so far from heat.

cbs11tv.com - 4 Heat-Related Deaths Reported in Dallas County (http://cbs11tv.com/local/heat.related.deaths.2.783075.html - broken link)

I guess these people didn't enjoy the heat as much as some of you weirdos.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM

17 posts, read 62,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy weaving little baskets in institutions. I don't take anything they say very seriously either.

You certainly spend a lot of time defending heat. Much more time than I would invest in btching about it. Seems like an odd way to spend your day. Beats being outside I guess.

I wish somehow telling me that millions of people don't mind 100+ degree temperatures day after day after day after day would actually make me and the millions of other sane people who live in DFW be more comfortable. But somehow comparing Dallas summers to Chicago winters only make me wish I had not moved here even more.

In fact, I find it odd that people like Aceplace would even respond to people complaining about heat. I mean how can you defend weather anyway?

AND, If the best way you can defend the crappy Dallas climate is to remind people that other places also have crappy climates then you need to brush up on your persuasion skills. I'm still not convinced that 100+ degree weather is exactly Dallas' best asset. In fact, I think it is one of the worst. That, and it is a bit bland for a city with a metro of its size.

I guess the 3rd largest city in Texas is no paradise after all.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
They've been saying that for years in California. I can remember hearing those words about CA falling into the ocean when I was a kid and that was decades ago. I saw it on Nightline tonight and they indicated it was a major earthquake. I don't think it qualified as such. I know they're scary and I'm not making light of it and one never knows when another bigger one will be upon the Californians. Hurry up and get out here. When are you planning on changing states? If you're ever in a tornado, you may wish you were back in California.

No 5.4 magnitude is not major but when u are in the midst of it and wondering do I stay or do I run it's not fun, lol. I am out of earthquake land Sept 20th . And when was the last time the city of Dallas has had a tornado touch down? Just curious.
Here is my take on it:
Tornado - warning given
Hurricane - warning given
Severe thunderstorm - warning given
Earthquake - yr guess is as good as mine!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallasDan View Post
There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy weaving little baskets in institutions. I don't take anything they say very seriously either.

You certainly spend a lot of time defending heat. Much more time than I would invest in btching about it. Seems like an odd way to spend your day. Beats being outside I guess.

I wish somehow telling me that millions of people don't mind 100+ degree temperatures day after day after day after day would actually make me and the millions of other sane people who live in DFW be more comfortable. But somehow comparing Dallas summers to Chicago winters only make me wish I had not moved here even more.

In fact, I find it odd that people like Aceplace would even respond to people complaining about heat. I mean how can you defend weather anyway?

AND, If the best way you can defend the crappy Dallas climate is to remind people that other places also have crappy climates then you need to brush up on your persuasion skills. I'm still not convinced that 100+ degree weather is exactly Dallas' best asset. In fact, I think it is one of the worst. That, and it is a bit bland for a city with a metro of its size.

I guess the 3rd largest city in Texas is no paradise after all.
Hi Glassbox!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas