Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,355,363 times

Advertisements

I dated a black woman and it was no big deal. No one even looked at us. My dentist is married to a black man. Their Church has a lot of mixed race couples. My gym is mixed race. Our neighborhood is integrated and there are several mixed race couples from all nationalities. This was in West Plano and Frisco.

If you have good grooming and have good manners, no one cares.

OTOH, My wife's best friend is from South Dallas and is a tall, athletic black woman and dresses like it. When we go to the Ballpark, I walk out with my arm around her. Now that gets some looks. It also gets some looks in her neighborhood which is mostly black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM

6,706 posts, read 13,930,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycage View Post
Are there any areas within Dallas that are more welcoming to that blacks or interracials?

The DFW area is so diverse that minorities can fit it just about anywhere. You only start to lose diversity as you move up in wealth for the most part.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The DFW area is so diverse that minorities can fit it just about anywhere. You only start to lose diversity as you move up in wealth for the most part.
Not really. I'd say the Dallas area is actually MORE diverse in all income levels than most other cities that are viewed as "more progressive". I'd say blacks in Dallas have a much MORE "integrated" lifestyle even in middle class, upper middle and upper. While there might be less in those higher groups than in the lower, in the Dallas area they are still welcome everywhere.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM

438 posts, read 1,778,334 times
Interracial relationships are one of the few forms of diversity that Dallas seems to tolerate rather well.

I think it's because we have been marrying our neighbors to the south for a good long while.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Interracial relationships are one of the few forms of diversity that Dallas seems to tolerate rather well.

I think it's because we have been marrying our neighbors to the south for a good long while.
Agree. I'd say there are more interracial couples in the Dallas area than a lot of other places just by personal observations. I guess that is why it is hardly even noticed as it is so common around here.

Doing the Southern Family genealogy is always interesting

Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,623 times
I am white and my husband is Turkish, my neighbor is black his wife is asian. Come down Texas is not bad.....

Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,387 times
From an African American teen girl's perspective, it's bad. There of are, of course alot of stereotypical issues and rednecks here. I live in Lewisville so, idk.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Nobody cares. I'm in one, most of my friends are in them, no problems we've had.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 PM

521 posts, read 1,309,622 times
I think race is not as big an issue in Dallas area. However, that metro area as whole is pretty church-oriented. You can be black or Asian or white or Hispanic but if you can go to some church you can date inter-racially. If you don't believe in a Christian skydaddy, you might not get as lucky with dating someone.

As for many interracial couples, I didn't see very many in my years of living there. I imagine more of them are present now in Dallas area than ever, mostly because they are moving there from someplace else, especially California, and not because the locals are particularly into interracial dating.

As for class differences...heck, south of Trinity, it's a whole 'nother world out there and the difference is quite stark compared to all the booming areas north of downtown. And Highland Park and University Park are pretty dang lilly white, and very church-clinged and conservative. Same with some other neighborhoods too, such as Preston Hollow, where G.W.Bush now resides. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to accept that it is there.

Basically, in Dallas, if you are rich or can flaunt wealth or pretend to be doing alright, and are at least nominally christian, you should be fine.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 PM

42 posts, read 131,891 times
Wait a minute?! Are you saying Dallas is a real churchy town? Say it ain't so?! I live in Memphis and I'm thinking of relocating to Dallas. That's one of the things I'm desperately trying to get away from. Religious people scare me! Please tell me churches don't run a metro area as large as Dallas? That would totally ruin my plans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas