Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM

93 posts, read 397,116 times

Advertisements

Craigslist is also a good place to check for house rentals. Just search by neighborhood or street name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM

176 posts, read 541,939 times
I will continue to check out Craigslist and will look around when I come out tomorrow.
Lakewooder- it was almost a beautiful moment. I went to the site you suggested and found the perfect house on Fairview but it was rented last week. Oh well. The search continues.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 AM

102 posts, read 395,720 times
We live on the east side of the lake in an area called Lochwood. It's off NW Highway, between Lake Highlands Rd and Jupiter Rd. Like you, we like Lakewood a LOT but it was hard to find a house (and for us, a 2-car garage and 2 baths) at a price we could afford. I'll admit, the homes around here aren't as lovely as Lakewood, but in general, the ones to closest to Lake Highlands Rd are nice. We have no kiddos, so I can't speak to the school decision.

I would agree, it gets rougher east. I would really avoid east of Ferguson, or (this sounds so cliche) east of the RR tracks that run between Garland Rd and Ferguson.

It is so hard to search online. And I just hated putting off a decision until we got here! In addition to that good site Lakewooder suggested, have you tried these sites?
hotpads.com - Great filtering features. I see a few possibilities - off Mockingbird, Lake Circle, and Country Club. The Mockingbird one would get your kiddo into Lakewood Elementary, but it's a very busy road, so that may deter you.
findyourlease.com
gtfrealty.com

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Hey, you mentioned Ferguson and I thought I'd pass this spot along to y'all. Over on Ferguson is a LONG TIME Dallas hamburger joint, The Dairyette. Hamburgers, shakes, root beer, etc all in a drive-in setting but some seating inside. Next Wednesday, July 16 they are doing a car show. We plan on being there for that. Come on out and meet a lot of folks and let me know if you come and I'll setup to meet ya

Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM

93 posts, read 397,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Over on Ferguson is a LONG TIME Dallas hamburger joint, The Dairyette.
Very tasty burgers! Just went there for the first time a few weeks ago.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
When I was a kid, my pediatrician was Dr. Madden Jenkins and his office was practically next door to the Dairy-ette - so we would always get a nice frosty home-made root beer after going to the doctor.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM

I am checking out the Mockingbird place, as well as one on Junius and one on Santa Monica.
Thanks to all-- craigslist and driving around were both helpful!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
I am checking out the Mockingbird place, as well as one on Junius and one on Santa Monica.
Thanks to all-- craigslist and driving around were both helpful!
In the other thread you didn't mention Junius. Is it the one at Junius and Munger by the Garden Cafe? If so that is literally my favourite intersection in Dallas, the little park, and the Garden Cafe both right there, great schools, really involved parents, and an Early CHildhood PTA for the little ones so they get to know each other.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 AM

262 posts, read 486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Bryan Adams High School is AWFUL.
Dallas ISD isn't exactly an academic jewel in the educational crown.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 AM

I am perfectly fine with Lakewood El, Jackson or Lipscomb. And I think his odds are pretty good at getting into an honors magnet, but if not he will do fine. If you think the schools here are bad, try Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: