Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 AM

176 posts, read 541,771 times

Advertisements

Four day trip and then I will be moving to Dallas at the end of the month!
I am a former New York Liberal who loves nature (trees! lakes!) old movie theaters and independent coffeeshops and hates strip malls and Stepford Suburbia.
I've outgrown my goth-child days (though I like to see the proper amount of edginess and general angst being practiced by the young around me).
I also have a very smart and very rowdy 4-year-old boy.
Where should I go-- what should I do? I want to fall in love with my new town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
I am a former New York Liberal who loves nature (trees! lakes!) old movie theaters and independent coffeeshops and hates strip malls and Stepford Suburbia.
I've outgrown my goth-child days (though I like to see the proper amount of edginess and general angst being practiced by the young around me).
I hear that the Lakewood area of Dallas is very nice. I don't know Dallas as well as I do Fort Worth, but I'm sure some of the Dallas folks will chime in with some good advice.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:

You have pretty much described Lakewood. It really depends on your job location but Lakewood should be your starting point. North Oak Cliff should also be on the list.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,142 times
If you make it to Oak Cliff check out the Nodding Dog Coffee Shop in the Bishop Arts District.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:19 AM

869 posts, read 2,954,088 times
Paging Lakewooder...Mr. Lakewooder, please report to this thread IMMEDIATELY...

and from her descriptors, I would assume that is safe to tell her to stay away from Plano and Frisco (without being branded a basher)...

Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 AM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
Quote:

the most unique part of town by far when it comes to hills, lake and trees, breath taking views are down by the Joe Pool Lake area in southern Dallas by Grand Prairie and Cedar Hill.
The second most visited state park in TX is right there as well.
I wish someone told me about it when I first moved to town. Seems like people like keeping the good things a secret for themselves to enjoy. I have a big mouth so I am spreading the word.

There are many other options but I wanted to make sure you heard about this area.

Also if you love the arts Dallas boasts the what will be largest arts district in America which is located downtown.

also see some great pics of Dallas from the post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...mmunities.html

Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:

I applaud the poster for looking for reasons to fall in love with her new town instead of bashing it. With that said, Dallas is, by and large, a suburban city. You will definitely find pockets of liberal haunts, but that's the exception not the rule. Be tolerant and accepting of those different than you (folks like me who enjoy living without edginess and angst ) and you will find Dallas to be a very loveable place indeed.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,369 times
When you're from the East Coast, it will be hard to find places that seem 'quaint' or 'historic' .....it's a relatively new city (I'm including the entire Metroplex in the word 'city) and 3/4 of it still has the paint drying on it. But there are pockets of charm and a lot of New Yorkers tucked in them.

I love your attitude.....you gonna do just fine in your new world!! Welcome!!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 AM

702 posts, read 2,722,532 times
Downtown - walk around the beautiful arts district and go see the garden of fountains under Fountain Place (the blue pointy building)

YouTube - fountain place

Drive down Turtle Creek Blvd.

YouTube - Turtle Creek / Katy Trail

People watch in the West Village

Ride the FREE Mckinney Ave. Trolley

YouTube - McKinney Avenue Trolley in Dallas Texas

Stroll down the Bishop Arts District in North Oak Cliff

check out victory park

YouTube - AT&T Plaza @ American Airlines Center

if you like bars and clubs visit the lower greenville district

YouTube - Lower Greenville Dallas Texas

Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,055 times
Quote:
Lakewood/Munger Place/Junius Heights area is what you want. I live there with a five year old boy. It's also a good place to live. Here in Junius Heights the public neighborhood school has been rated exemplary almost forever. It is prek-3 now but will be adding a grade a year till it is prek-5. White Rock lake is under 5 minutes away, a beautiful lake in the middle of the city with no motor boat traffic. My son loves it, then there are some great places to go out. Try the Tipperary Inn on a weekend night, live music, good food, good beer, and kid friendly, a no smoking pub with a kids menu.

5 minutes the other direction is Deep Ellum, containing clubs, untold restaurants, Rush Patisserie- where my son can finish two croissants in under 10 minutes- and The Hub Theatre.

5 minutes another direction is Fair Park, full of museums and beautiful art deco buildings.

This is a great part of town for someone like you. Lots of parks, coffee shops, an old movie theatre - Lakewood Theatre -, Lakewood is lovely but quite expensive Junius Heights varies from $750 a month apartments in old homes to $300,000 homes. Trust me come down here you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas