U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM

18 posts, read 73,161 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional living in Florida. I may have a job opportunity in Dallas soon. I have been scouting neighborhoods on the Internet in order to get a feel for the area where I want to live. I like the Uptown, Deep Ellum, Greenville and Lakewood areas. My job would be near Love Field so these areas seem to be the most pratical in regards to job proximity. Also another consideration is that I have a dog and the Lakewood area seems to be the closest to White Rock Lake where I will end up taking my dog. I found Power Properties on the web and their apartments look nice.

Does anyone live at a Power Properties Apartment? Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations you would like to share?

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the Lakewood area?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM

14,874 posts, read 33,526,574 times
I do not personally know anything about the Power Properties but I have seen the name around for a long time. I think your probably picking the right area in Lakewood if you have a dog and want to be near White Rock Lake. I've got a few pics of the Arboretum and the lake but somehow can not get them to download to photobucket . Some of our good friends adult son (20's) lives in that area also and loves it.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 73,161 times
^ Oh good. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM

92 posts, read 705,608 times
The Power brothers bought up old apartments in bad areas and fixed them up. They are really nice, but they are surrounded by other sketchy apts. It's a really strange area where there are million dollar houses with old apt. in the back yards. The ones that weren't fixed up, are still scary.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:12 AM

9 posts, read 42,660 times
I lived in a Power Property on Gaston Ave for a few years, a few years back. It was a great experience, all things considered.

Pros were that the styling was like nothing else that I could find in an apartment - basically you are talking Uptown rental prices but in a space with more flair than anything in Uptown. Some of the details were great -- wide granite countertops/bar areas in the kitchens, architectural lighting, track lighting, hardwood floors, open floorplans. Everything was new and well maintained, and the apartment maintenance was responsive because the properties are all fairly small. Personal attention when you have to call in maintenance for something. The demographic is younger and either singles or young couples. Some community spaces, especially down around the pool, and the apartment complexes are well landscaped and maintained. Power Properties aren't nearly as beige or as cookie cutter as a lot of your apartment options in DFW.

The cons are that the buildings are old, and not the best old buildings - just the cheapest ones to buy for fixing up. It drove me crazy that I got noise from the complex in my apartment. They pipe in music around the pool areas, which are central in a very small complex, so I could always hear a music undertone. Also the floors in all the units are hardwood, so factor in risk of loud, stomping neighbors. My apartment had issues with the air conditioning, too. You couldn't control heat vs a.c. in the unit. They would have to flip a central switch to go from cold to hot to cold for the whole apartment, and it was inconvenient when you had hot days but very cold nights. Also, the apartment buildings are basically all in an old motel style. Small windows, etc.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,149 times
What do you think about safety for single women in those properties? How's the crime? I would imagine that the slum types would see the neighboring redone apts as easy targets for break in's etc.?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM

62 posts, read 200,534 times
I would look into The Village apartment community. Not exactly Lakewood or Greenville, but very close and White Rock Lake is not too far away. Also would be a shorter commute to Love Field.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,736,551 times
I must disagree with the above poster, The Village (though in a great location) is a pretty standard big concrete parking lot type of apartment complex (though a nice one of that type), and often has pet restrictions.
I have friends who have rented from Power Properties, and have been happy. The best advice I can give is to also look at the many many independent landlord leased properties in this area. i would look at Lakewood Proper (if it fits your budget) Munger Place, and JuniusHeights. I would steer away from anything in Peaks Suburban Addition. Peaks Suburban is being restored and in a few years will be a great neighborhood, but right now there is still a lot more crime/vagrancy there than the other three neighborhoods. My wife and I live in Junius Heights with our small child and it is a great safe community. This part of Dallas is fantastic, and close to most of the arts, culture and nightlife, as well as the magnificent White Rock Lake. My wife and I lived here five years ago, had to move to North Dallas to help with some family problems, and couldn't wait to move back here. Great part of town.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:08 PM

16,090 posts, read 33,579,131 times
Between the Village and Lakewood/Lower Greenville are apartments and condos off E. University between Greenville and Skillman. Check out this map of a new condo conversion there Veneto Condos in Dallas, Texas (http://www.venetocondosdallas.com/condos_dallas/neighborhood.html - broken link) There are also a couple of Power Properties there.

Excellent access to White Rock Lake (go east to Trammel to Fisher or Mockingbird) and go across UP to get to Love Field. I also live in Junius Heights and love it. I've lived on Trammel and also around Knox-Henderson along with Mockingbird and Abrams and Lakewood Proper. Any of those would suit you.

Independent landlords (of which I am one -- but no vacancies now) may be able to get you something with a yard for a dog. Campagna and Get There First are good companies for this. You would probably meet a lot of people in a Power Property. Hang out at Lakewood Landing.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM

176 posts, read 456,034 times
I am in Jefferson at Lakewood and they have been really great so far. They do accept dogs (even larger ones) and it is a fantastic neighborhood, across the street from the Lakewood Shopping Center, bordering the golf course. If you have an indoor dog this may be a great option as this is a great area to walk around in. It is not deserted at night because of the activity at the Lakewood Center, but the apartments themselves are quiet.
We looked at Power Properties and they seemed to be nice, but next to some other complexes that were a bit rough. Some, however, were next to very upscale homes. There was just no availability a many of the Power Properties when I was looking (last month, when students had taken much of what was left and we needed a place at the last minute).
I can give you more details about Jefferson if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas