Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,420,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Hmm sounds like it's worth checking out -sounds like a great principal- but they are listed as 362/410 students that are Hispanic. Which is the overwhelming majority I'm running from here in Plano -just a different race.

William Lipscomb Elementary School, Dallas Texas / TX school information

This is hard - I'm not sure I want a fully Urban environment. Where we live is more mid-urban -not fully sub-urban, but we like it. I guess I would like reasonable housing, diversity, good schools, a sense of community and a more relaxed and open state of mind and some easy access to fun stuff along with good food and international influences. Is there such a thing in Dallas?
There is, You really are describing the Lakewood/Old East Dallas/Lake Highlands type area.

Beautiful neighborhoods, walkable, people know their neighbors, Lots of little parks in and around the neighborhoods, lots of community activities, with the advantage of being close to the Urban stuff.

When I looked at the school at Kindergarten Roundup I met several very nice people. A month or so later we moved in. While walking down the street to the library a van stopped. The mom got out and reintroduced herself, we had met at the Kindergarten Roundup. She gave us here phone number, told us she lived a few homes down from us, asked us to just knock on the door if we needed anything. There is that kind of neighborhood spirit, plus the fact that we can be downtown, in Deep Ellum, at fairpark, or at White Rock lake in five minutes. Hard to beat!

As for the school, my impression is that the numbers are changing rapidly. The school is good enough that many people in the neighborhood are starting to send children there. One of the reasons people didn't is the school currently ends at grade 3. That will no longer be the case. They will add a grade a year until they become a full traditional elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 02:02 PM

105 posts, read 239,534 times
I guess we have a few years before we decide anything -you all have given me enough to keep Dallas on my list of options - I will keep an eye on Lipscomb and the Munger Area.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,475,774 times
One of the best benefits of Texas. Each town offers something different.
Stay in state. Take Charlotte off of the list that would be such a big change when all you really need is a change in scenery

Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
One of the best benefits of Texas. Each town offers something different.
Stay in state. Take Charlotte off of the list that would be such a big change when all you really need is a change in scenery
Yeah -Charlotte is MUCH closer to family though.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,540,224 times
I totally get ya girl!! All the things you mention are the parts I really dislike about Plano, well, all the northern suburbs really. Plano was probably that last place I intended to live (wasn't even planning on coming back to Dallas from Austin) but life takes you in funny directions sometimes. Moving back to Dallas, we have always planned to move to Lake Highlands, so living in Plano has been an adjustment.

Anyway, that being said, I do have to say this...as a new-ish mom myself (my son is 2, almost 3), I have come to really appreciate what the Plano area has to offer in regards to families. The city puts on many family-oriented events (international nights, movie night in the park, etc) throughout the year, the library storytime program is great for babies/ toddlers, and you can't beat the bazillions of parks...have you checked out Big Lake Park on Chisolm trail? (by Chrisitie elem)...we go there alot...I would guess in any given day, the park population a great mix of ethnicities...black, hispanic, middle-eastern, etc. I, as a white chick, are often in the minority. There are also some fabulous nature preserves (Arbor Hills, Connemara Meadow) nearby. SO not to go on a "I love Plano" tirade (cuz if you've read any of my other post, you know I really don't), but I am a big proponent of finding the good in where you currently live. SO until you decide what your moving plan is, jump on into life here in Plano. You might be surprised what you find. (PM me if you what anymore specific ideas )

Anyway, back to what you were asking about...East Dallas does sound like what you are looking for. just keep in mind that you will get way less for your money...or a place that will need quite a bit of work compared to what you are used to. But if that is not a concern then go for it. It is a lovely area. Older parts of Richardson might also be a good option for you too.

Honestly I would be back in Austin if I could. The outdoor scene IS way better. But keep in mind, at the price point you are looking at...you might probably still be in the burbs and the real Austin vibe comes from living central (though been hearing good thing about south).

Good luck with your hunt.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,540,224 times
Oh....and if you find it, let me know...hahaha!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I've lived in the Dallas area for 11 years and when I moved here we thought it was temporary -but then one thing led to another and we stayed -we found a great church and bought our house and settled in I guess.

I am now a new mom, and am not sure Dallas is where I want to raise kids. Dallas has a lot of things I don't like - outdoor activities (hiking etc) are a major trip away, it is very materialistic and keeping up with the Joneses with the name brands and all that. High school class sizes are insane, lots of people are not super tolerant (we are an interracial couple, and I'm a working mom) and the list goes on...

Of couse, when I stop and think about there's a lot here that I take for granted - museums, international foods and groceries, I have several acupuncturists and you can find just about anything on the planet here in Dallas.

I guess my friend said it all when she said...you can get everything here in Dallas -and that's good and bad

So we are thinking about Austin or Charlotte - Austin, because we love to visit and we could find work really easily there, or Charlotte because it's half way between our families. But of course there are trade-offs -and we won't know what those are until we live there.

Someone suggested that it's because I live in Plano and most of what I don't like is in Plano -maybe there is another part of the DFW area that we would be more comfortable in. Any ideas??
did you know that Dallas has its own hill country filled with outdoor activities?

Go visit the Joe Pool lake area- down in Grand Praire, Cedar Hill.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah -Charlotte is MUCH closer to family though.
understood. Family is big deal to me to.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Oy - I have the feeling this will take all of the five years I have to figure this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas