U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 25,255,120 times

Advertisements

Yes, they are two very distinct places. It's amazing how different Dallas and Ft. Worth are, considering their proximity. Fort Worth has a bit more of an old Western feel to it (more laid back) and Dallas is more cosmopolitan and has that "big city" feel.
Some native Fort Worth folks might take offense to that and consider it a put down but I can assure that it's not a put down at all - it's a compliment (to both). As a non-native that has lived here for almost 20 years that's just how I see it. I like both cities intensely but prefer Fort Worth (or very near to it) as the place I call home. I could live in Dallas and be just as happy though; both are great cities.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:25 PM

985 posts, read 4,138,197 times
nunusguy, I used to live in West Plano for four years during 2000s, fyi. Please don't assume anything, ok.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 PM

264 posts, read 802,396 times
I grew up in the Dallas area (Carrollton, a suburb just north of Dallas proper), and I have lived in Nacogdoches, TX (deep east), Lubbock, TX (west, towards the panhandle), Austin, TX, and now I live in Houston. So as far as Texas goes, I've seen it all.

To give you an idea of my demographics, I am a mid-thirties, Christian, white female. I'm highly educated, but am currently a stay at home mom married to an attorney who works in a big Texas firm. I'm quite conservative, but by no means a Religious Right.

I really enjoy Houston and find it suits my personality better than Dallas. I find Houston to have a lot more character, and it seems to be truly a cultural melting pot. It is laid back and extremely friendly (except when you are on the highway -- Houston drivers become possessed when they enter a highway). It's not as "clean" as Dallas for sure and it has a little more "grit" to it. Yes, it's very very humid and sweltering in the summers. I can't be outside unless I'm in a pool 4 months out of the year. However, I don't think it is a whole lot worse than Dallas. Face it, when it's hot, it's hot. I think there are more cultural activities that appeal to a wider audience in Houston than in Dallas. Houston just seems to have more of a sense of humor and a "be yourself" attitude.

Although I don't dislike Dallas, I do find the people there have a more "keeping up with the Jones's" attitude. Some people call Dallas the home of the "$40,000 a year millionaire" -- as in many people are willing to live beyond their means in order to fit in and be accepted in certain circles. Of course, these are all gross generalities, and I have a lot of friends in Dallas who do not fit this profile (while I have many acquaintances who do). Dallas seems to be more generic than Houston, not as much personality. If you go to any given area of Dallas, you have a good idea of what type of person you will find. In Houston, there is much more of a melting pot feel.

I find Dallas to be more "new money" and Houston to be more "old money." New money tends to be a little more obnoxious and old money a bit more discreet and genteel.

I do not have any experience with suburbs in Houston. We live in town about 7 miles from downtown in a fabulous neighborhood with huge trees and big lots. The Dallas suburbs tend to be just little Dallases from my experience. Not a lot of individuality.

As far as Dallas and Fort Worth, the two towns may as well be on different planets they are so different. I LOVE Fort Worth and would live there in a second. The people are lovely, the homes are really nice (and pretty cheap), and there are more trees, green spaces in Fort Worth. Fort Worth has such a warm, friendly atmosphere, and it's very clean. The downtown area is a great place to be during the day or out at night.

Hopefully my long-winded reply gives you some insight. Both cities are great (after all, they are both in Texas), but I would say Houston wins out for diversity, quirkiness, and general down-to-earth residents.

Now if you could choose to live in Austin.....hands down, the best place in Texas to live.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM

268 posts, read 612,722 times
To me, "old money" is a term that is used more to describe inherited wealth
vs. "new money" which is indicative of money "earned" during one's lifetime.
And as a Houstonian, Houston is anything but old money comparitively speaking. And generalizing, I'd guess the DFW area is also more of the new variety.
How about Dallas is new money and Houston is "newer money" ?
And the only people I've got to know well from the DFW area is family of my wifes in Grand Praire, which is literally dividied by the Dallas - Tarrant (Ft.Worth) county line. So I'm not sure if they would be considered more
Dallas or more Ft.Worth ? Anyway, they are very hospital and generous and
benign people who I've become fond of and whos company I enjoy.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM

264 posts, read 802,396 times
I agree with your definition of old (inherited) and new money ("earned"). I have found that people who have just come into money are a little more flashy as opposed to people who have been brought up with money seem a little less impressed with themselves. Of course, I was making gross generalities, but from what I've experienced, I stand by my observations.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 AM

3,002 posts, read 10,176,042 times
Home of the 40k millionare....

OK.

I don't agree with your opinion of Dallas at all. I know a handful of people here that make pretty good money, all work their tail off, are highly educated and live well as a result.

It actually sounds:

"To give you an idea of my demographics, I am a mid-thirties, Christian, white female. "I'm highly educated", but am currently a stay at home mom "married to an attorney" who works in a big Texas firm. I'm quite conservative, but by no means a Religious Right. "

Like maybe you wished you still lived there....

Not sure why so many are quick to paint Dallas residents into an arrogant/undeserving corner and call them stuck up.

To me, it seems that the rest of the state of Texas is jealous of Dallas.

As an outsider, the places that people are typically jealous of, are normally the best ones to live. When people tell me "all the new money is there" ....I listen. Places with 'new money' are typically more optimistic and inspiring. Oh, and by the way, there is a TON of old money in Dallas as well.

I had my choice to live anywhere in the state when I moved here (Houston wouldn't make the top 5 - that humidity kills, Dallas is arid desert compared to Houston), visited them all and choose Dallas (actually, the northern burbs, Dallas as a city is not my cup of tea, but it has nice burbs). I like Austin, but seriously think it is overrated. People told me Austin was 'just like So CA'....not so at all. Nice topography and fewer people concerned about Church yes, but the Dallas suburbs feel more like CA than Austin. Because Dallas is such a melting pot of people, it does not feel as insular as Austin.

Last edited by socketz; 03-16-2007 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM

"I had my choice to live anywhere in the state when I moved here (Houston wouldn't make the top 5 - that humidity kills, Dallas is arid desert compared to Houston)."
As I said in an earlier post, the summers are really miserable in Dallas, but not as bad as Houston because of Houston's proximity to the coast and the Gulfs sea breeze. But check the heat indexes in the summertime, Dallas with its higher temps has indexes right there with Houston. But whether its DFW, Houston, SA, the summers are just really sorry in Texas. And the air is not dry in N.Texas: dry air is Albuquerque, or to a lesser degree Boise or Denver.
OK ? I like N.Texas, but save the CofC pitch for somebody who has not spent any time there and try to convice somebody else about how much like San Diego Dallas is. The most logical comparison for DFW climate wise is OKC, for Houston its NOLA.
Here's what I want to ask the N.Texas residents about ? There is a recent series of articles in the Dallas daily, the Morning News, entitled "Dallas at the
tipping point". If you live there, you surely must be familiar with the stories ?
Anyway, it basically says that Dallas is on the verge of becoming the "Detroit of the Sunbelt". Now of course this is about Dallas proper, and
not the 'burbs or the FT-Worth-Arlington sector of N.Texas.
The essense of the article says so many affleunt residents of Dallas, both
individuals and corp citizens, have left the city for the likes of Plano, McKinney, Ft. Worth, etc. that the tax base of the city is facing serious erosion and and it does not bode well for public services in the furture for
Dallas ? And the southern part of the city is the worst, where the Cotton Bowl
will soon be history because its fleeing to the new stadium in Arlington where
the Cowboys are going.
If one is moving to N.TX, would they be well advised to totally avoid the city
of Dallas for the northern suburbs, or better yet the 'burbs north and northwest of DFW airport and Ft. Worth ?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,501,944 times
>> The essence of the article says so many affleunt residents of Dallas, both
individuals and corp citizens, have left the city for the likes of Plano, McKinney, Ft. Worth, etc. that the tax base of the city is facing serious erosion and and it does not bode well for public services in the furture for
Dallas ? <<

Hmmm. I am moving to the Dallas area this summer. I would dare to say that the Dallas areas of Preston Hollow/Bluffview/Highland Park area is alive and kicking. No white flight in those areas and a huge tax base. On almost every street you'll see many tear down / rebuilds. It is a VERY desirable place to live. While I don't know the Lakewood area, I would say that that area is very much desirable as well. Same with the White Rock Lake area and Lake Highlands.

If I had to pick a place to live, I would go to San Antonio. Husband was offered a job in Dallas, so off we go.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 28,438 times
Default Dallas residents

Oh my gosh - I can't believe that I agree with Socketz on something!

I have lived in the North Dallas suburbs for almost 5 decades. The people I know here are people who "all work their tail off, are highly educated and live well as a result."

They don't have to impress people - they just work hard and enjoy the fruits of their efforts. I don't know any "$40,000 millionaires". They are just themselves.

Nunusguy may be negative on the future of Dallas - but when will the migration into Dallas stop? When will the house prices go down on the East and West coasts so that the coasters can stay on the coasts instead of coming here?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
Nunusguy may be negative on the future of Dallas - but when will the migration into Dallas stop? When will the house prices go down on the East and West coasts so that the coasters can stay on the coasts instead of coming here?
"Dallas calls itself "the city that works." Dallas is wrong. By almost any measure that counts -- crime, school quality, economic growth -- Dallas looks bad. It's not that City Hall is lying. City Hall seems not to know. "Dallas does not see itself as a city in crisis. ... But the data indicate that Dallas is a city in crisis."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...as/dallas.html
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...as/dallas.html
I'm not negative about Dallas, it is the Dallas Morning News that is
negative about Dallas.
Personally I like the areas I have visited and worked at up there, but to those who live up there, I'm asking you to respond to this story out of your local newspaper about the city of Dallas. It is entitiled "Dallas at the Tipping Point".
I realize that most of you probably live in Richardson Plano, Irving, KcKinney,
etc. wherever and not in Dallas proper.
But what about this story and Dallas proper ? Thoughts ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas