Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahulani View Post
Aloha and help!!!!

My likes:
Warm weather
Open Spaces/Outdoors/Parks
Beaches and the Ocean
Greenery
Photography and the Arts
Asianness (as I am Japanese)
Diversity
Slow paced lifestyle with the opportunity to be social/party when I feel like it
Walking everywhere

Dislikes:
Cold weather
Unfriendly people
Crowds
Overzealous Religious people
Overzealous Republican people
Driving far distances
Living in a concreate jungle
Expensive-ness
Fashionistas
Perhaps I can go through your list of likes and dislikes and make some comments.

Warm weather

Dallas has relatively warm winters, pleasant spring and fall, and is hot in the summer, around 95 degrees on average.

Dallas has its share of parks and open spaces. White Rock Lake is in the city proper and is lovely, in my opinion. It has many trails and paths.

Beaches and the Ocean

Far from the ocean, but the Dallas area has several large lakes and has many lake beaches. Water sports such as boating are very popular, especially in the summer, but some form of boating is possible year round.

Greenery

Dallas is not as forested as the Seattle area, but much of its terrain is forest. There is, of course, greenery everywhere.

Photography and the Arts

The DFW area has a good dozen art museums, and the Amon Carter museum in particular has an extensive photography collection. Basically, Dallas' arts scene is pretty present, due to its population of 6 million people, although nowhere near New York's.

It has a large Korean, South Asian and East Asian population, but not that large a Japanese population, as far as I know.

Diversity

It is said that 40% of the metropolitan population is either recent immigrant or the children of immigrants.

Slow paced lifestyle with the opportunity to be social/party when I feel like it

I don't know how to judge this. It is definitely faster than a small town, but probably slower than NYC.

Walking everywhere

A small part of the metro area can be said to be walkable and pedestrian oriented. In absolute terms, quite a lot for a Sunbelt city, not very much in comparison with a Northeastern city. What will mitigate this is Dallas' Light Rail system which is already about 45 miles of rail, plus another 35 between the Dallas and Fort Worth downtowns, and another 45 miles coming on line within the next few years, to about 95 miles of rail by 2013. In comparison, Chicago's EL system is 106 miles.

Cold weather
\Very little of it in Dallas.

Unfriendly people

The people are usually said to be friendly, even if that's the only thing somebody likes about the city.

Crowds

No.

Some. Mostly, they live and let live.

Quite a lot of Republicans in the suburbs, mostly Democrats in the city.

Driving far distances

Could be, yes. Or you could live in an area where everything is at hand.

Everywhere, they make an effort to plant trees and greenery. Very green city.

Expensive-ness

Not particularly.

Fashionistas

Some of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,331 times
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...t/DSC06242.jpg

Old 07-20-2008, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,331 times
Here's my take on Dallas. I've been here for about 2 years. Not the greatest place on earth, not the worst either. I came here expecting the city as described by the above poster, and was a little disappointed. As far as cities go, I'd give Dallas a 5 out of 10.

Warm weather
Right now it is ridiculously hot. 100 degree highs are predicted throughout the rest of the week.

Lots of open empty spaces.

Beaches and the Ocean
Nothing even remotely close to this in DFW. Dallas is one the largest landlocked cities in America, even though landlocked San Antonio is even bigger than Dallas. The lake fronts here could never take the place of a ocean beach. You will never find that ultra-hip, funtastic, resort city, beach vibe on a DFW lake no matter how hard you pretend and try to dress it up with words. There is a reason why MTV doesn't bring it's party to Dallas for Spring Break. Dallas is a worker town not a vacation town.

Greenery
In the winter all the trees are bare and dormant and all the grass is dead. In the summer most of the lawns are yellow and dry, unless you have an underground sprinkler system. The grass looks o.k. in spring. I would not say that Dallas is forested by any means. There are nowhere near enough shade trees in Dallas to compensate for the relentless summer sun. There is a clump of trees that sit in the Trinity river bed, but I would hardly call it a forest in the traditional sense of the word. Dallas isn't a desert, but it is not exactly the greenest city I have ever seen, not by a long shot. Dallas is only slightly more green than El Paso. In 20 years, I think Dallas will look like El Paso.

Photography and the Arts
If you look for it you can find it. But Dallas is not New York and never will be. The art scene is pretty mediocre in Dallas. Some of the locals like to build it up into more than it is. Compared to New York, Dallas is amateur-hour. Most Dallasites idea of supporting the fine arts is watching King of the Hill, Wipeout, HGTV, American Idol, or the Food Network.

There are Asians living in Dallas. But keep in mind. Dallas is probably one of the most segregated large cities in America. However, the people are very friendly here, especially when everyone stays on their own side of town.

Diversity
Dallas is not New York. Dallas is a second tier city, with second or third tier city diversity.

Walking everywhere
99% of Dallas is totally unwalkable. There is a small area, maybe one square mile just north of downtown that pretends to look like a walkable city. Only there is almost never anyone walking around. You must own a car if you live in Dallas or you WILL regret it.

Dislikes:
Cold weather
It gets bitterly cold from time to time. Nothing like Chicago. But the icy winds in the winter can be downright painful.

Unfriendly people
Most people are very nice in Texas except when they get behind the wheel of a car or if one cheers for any other football team except the Dallas Cryboys.

Crowds
The freeways are very crowed. The sidewalks are not.

Dallas has it's moments of tolerance but you won't find too many same sex couples holding hands or kissing in public. I think that has something to do with the fact that hand guns are so prevalent that you can practically buy them at the corner seven-eleven. On the steps of city hall there is a plaque that reads, "Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out". That's Texas justice for you.

Just don't step outside downtown or uptown and you'll be o.k. Dallas is more liberal than most of Texas, but like the rest of Texas, in Dallas the republicans are firmly in control. Just do what you're told and everything will be fine.

Driving far distances
Compared to Manhattan, Yes. Compared to Los Angeles, Yes. I live in far North Dallas and I must spend a lot more time driving than I would like to. That rail system is utterly useless to most people living in the DFW area.

No, there are many vast open swaths of prairies, vacant lots, and empty fields with tall weeds. Dallas is very suburban and parts of it are downright rural. Concrete jungles are at a minimum here.

Expensive-ness
The closer you get to Uptown, the more expensive it gets.

Fashionistas
Faux-Fashionistas can be found milling around the malls and strip centers.

Last edited by zanadoo; 07-21-2008 at 01:08 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanadoo View Post

Dallas has it's moments of tolerance but you won't find too many same sex couples holding hands or kissing in public. I think that has something to do with the fact that hand guns are so prevalent that you can practically buy them at the corner seven-eleven. On the steps of city hall there is a plaque that reads, "Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out". That's Texas justice for you.

Just don't step outside downtown or uptown and you'll be o.k. Dallas is more liberal than most of Texas, but like the rest of Texas, in Dallas the republicans are firmly in control. Just do what you're told and everything will be fine.
Oh boy, here we go again. Glassbox Part Deux...

Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Oh boy, here we go again. Glassbox Part Deux...
Yup, it's our Dallas-hating troll again. Since she was expelled from the forum under her original screen name, she has merely reregistered under a new one in order to continue her venting.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 18,694 times
My husband and I moved to Dallas from the Seattle area a year ago. We knew what we were getting ourselves into because we have family here. We are here to take care of them and when the time comes we will be moving back to the northwest. We miss the pacific northwest terribly. You need to find some way to visit both areas. You need to see both places so you can decide for your self. I meet people from Dallas that love it here and I know people from NYC that love it there.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
I don't think zanadoo is The Poster That Shall Not Be Named, because the poster actually has some rational, reasonable views both positive and negative about Dallas, with a little bit of exaggeration and humor thrown in. The Poster That Shall Not Be Named was all the way negative and telling downright lies.

The lakes around D/FW are not going to have the same atmosphere as an ocean or even a Great Lake. I've lived in Florida and California before and live near a large, artificial lake now, so I know the difference. Yeah, people use their boats and whatnot, but still...like I tell people, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. Or try and condescend or patronize me, because I know what I see.

And Dallas doesn't have quite as many trees as say, Atlanta or Charlotte or even the Washington DC area for that matter. It's not all 'treeless prairie' like some people will say, but it's nowhere near as green as Seattle or Portland either.

Just because they aren't gung-ho about the city doesn't mean they're a "troll". Is that what you all say anytime someone has a disagreement of your opinions?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,453 times
I lived in the Dallas area for 7 years and I am currently in New York City so I may be able to answer a lot of questions you have. I can speak about of a few of your likes and dislikes. If you like open spaces, New York is not for you. I live near Prospect Park in Brooklyn, but my rent is rediculous (4800 a month) for a 3 bedroom, 2000 sf apartment (huge by NY standards). If you don't like cold, this may not work either. It is hot in the summer (much more humid than Dallas), and very cold in the winter. Do not under estimate the wind. That is the problem with walking everywhere. The thing that got me was how long winter lasts. In Dallas you can have a huge house to run around in, but here you get very cooped up in small apartments, small stores, small restaurants. I do love that everything is convienient and close by. Tons of art, music, etc. Much more social. We all live on top of each other. There is not a lot of privacy. You see your neighbors everyday. In Dallas (north suburbs) you drive into your garage, close the door and go inside and hardly see your neighbor unless you try to. I could go on and on. They are two totally different places and as much as I love New York, I miss Texas. Feel free to PM me with more specific questions if you want.

Last edited by racingmonkey; 07-22-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,453 times
I'll go through your list and name the city that is the better choice for each: That may help.

My likes:
Warm weather - Dallas
Open Spaces/Outdoors/Parks - Dallas
Beaches and the Ocean - New York has many that are close, Hamptons/Jersey shore
Greenery - Dallas
Photography and the Arts - New York
Asianness (as I am Japanese) - New York
Diversity - Definatly New York
Slow paced lifestyle with the opportunity to be social/party when I feel like it - Definatly Dallas ... it is non-stop going here in NY
Walking everywhere - New York. You drive everywhere in Dallas

Dislikes:
Cold weather - Dallas has very little cold weather
Unfriendly people - either. There are unfriendlies everywhere. NY gets a bad rep for this, but only for tourists.
Crowds- Dallas ...NY has huge crowds everywhere.
Overzealous Religious people- NY is liberal minded about religion. To each his own. Huge Jewish and Catholic population. Dallas has a ton on Baptists...not very understanding of Buddhists like me.
Overzealous Republican people- New York is the better choice here. Liberal city.
Driving far distances - New York. You drive everywhere in Dallas, in NY you may have long subway rides with stinky folks (Summer in the city...close quarters....not a lot of A/C)
Living in a concreate jungle - Dallas ... New York is mostly buildings.
Expensive-ness - Dallas. New York is super expensive. I rent for 4800$ a month and can't afford to buy.
Fashionistas- Dallas. New York is the fashionistas dream.

You have a tough call.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

My part of Dallas, which I think you would like - it's not NYC by any means but it is a slower-paced, friendly area with many people connected to the arts. Very live and let live - not right wing Republican by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas