Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Ha! What's next - Dodgeball?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromTexas View Post
Dallas has so little to offer if you want to be outside. In the summer, its close to or above 100 degrees everyday (starts in April, ends in October) so NO ONE is outside during those months. In the winter, daytime temps are typically in the 50's so, again, no one is outside. There is no mountain biking or kayaking that I'm aware of here. As far as we can tell from our 7+ years here, people in Dallas like to eat out, drink, and shop. Even great concerts here do not sell out. Also, I can't imagine a worse city to be single in - lots of women here are married and divorced (sometimes with kids) by the time they are 25. From what you are describing, you would be better off in Chicago, Boston, Denver or any other city like that. If you want to be in Texas, consider Austin - its a much better city with a lot more to offer for a young single than Dallas.
Thats amazing. Just moved back to Dallas from Tennessee. Saturday evening me and my wife went for a stroll around the lake near our apartment in Las Colinas. It was still around 90 degrees. But there were dozens of others out walking, biking and jogging. Plenty of outdoor opportunities. Lake Grapevine is an awesome getaway from the city, and is only a short 20-25 miles from downtown. Plenty of biking and hiking trails.

As for the heat, I would hope anyone who cannot deal with heat would be bright enough to find a state besides TX, or most of the south for that matter. I'm not fond of heat, but I live in TX, so I expect it to be hot. No big deal.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
There are flag football leagues and tournaments all year round. Not sure if you are interested but that is what I have the most experience with. Most are men's leagues only but there are some co-ed tournaments if you are in to that. It does get very hot in the summer but people still play in leagues and tournaments.

I heard that the village are has a lot of activities and leagues to play in. But I haven't experienced it first hand.

He's talking about The Village Apartments athletic fields - 14 complexes located between Greenville Avenue and Skillman south of NW Highway (Loop 12) along Southwestern Blvd. TheVillageapts.com | Home (http://www.thevillageapts.com/index_flash.shtml - broken link) The Village is located by the DART rail stop at Lover's Lane.

I drive by there nearly every day -- good shortcut and you get to see the beautiful flowers and landscaping also..lots of people out playing sports every afternoon and evening -- also lots of jogging and walking. The Village Country Club (clubhouse and pool) is legendary for its parties.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 07-21-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Quote:
Even great concerts here do not sell out.
That's funny. I've been to many sold out shows here. Plenty of those were outside at Starplex~Smirnoff~Superpages.com Center.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Radiohead certainly sold out Super Pages, no problem.

Star-Telegram Live Reviews: Radiohead: Urgent sounds from an unforgettable band (http://startelegram.typepad.com/startelegram_live_reviews/2008/05/radiohead-urgen.html - broken link)

As for the no-single-people/all-women-have-kids-by-25 thing, there are tons of single, childless people around, especially if you're living in Uptown.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Dallas has so little to offer if you want to be outside. In the summer, its close to or above 100 degrees everyday (starts in April, ends in October) so NO ONE is outside during those months. In the winter, daytime temps are typically in the 50's so, again, no one is outside. There is no mountain biking or kayaking that I'm aware of here.
You must not have been here long:

http://whiterockboathouse.com/

Even my high school has a rowing team.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Preview the Dallas Rapids | Articles & Archives | Oak Cliff (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=&tier=4&id=1AF960465DC3483CB0C 4E9D5E2379977&AudID=3E017068694948C3BE75FD51480D8A 7D - broken link)

Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
There is no mountain biking or kayaking that I'm aware of here.
Mountain biking trails in Dallas at DORBA Home Page

Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Dallas has so little to offer if you want to be outside. In the summer, its close to or above 100 degrees everyday (starts in April, ends in October) so NO ONE is outside during those months.
Ummm What!
You just have to pick your times. yes being out at 4:00 in July might not be the best idea, but for example last Tuesday, My son and I got up in the Morning, Went to Rush for breakfast, Then went To White Rock, where we played with his remote control boat, and on the playground. Then we came home had lunch, went swimming at Tietze Park in the afternoon, Swimming in the heat is a great way to be outside in the heat of the day. Then we came home, picke dup my wife, and went back to the lake, grilled sausages, holed up in a pavillian and watched the rain. All on a July day. There were lots of other people outside with us I promise. The week before we went to the Zoo when they oppened, Left by Noon and it was great. Also lots of people there then. Also the last two years we had his birthday part at White Rock April 27th over 50 people each time and beautiful spring weather. Saying it's over 100 in April is just wrong.

Quote:
Also, I can't imagine a worse city to be single in - lots of women here are married and divorced (sometimes with kids) by the time they are 25.
Ridiculous. I'm 32. My wife is about to turn 29. Of all our friends I think there are 2 married couples, and one with kids. When we got married and had a child 5 years ago, we were the only one of our friends to be married or have kids.

Dallas may or may not work for the OP but let's give him accurate information. If you want to say we have hot summers and midday outdoor activites are difficult, great. But we do not have most days around 100 degrees from April to October.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
don't you think the nom de plume of MOVINGFROMTEXAS says it all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas