Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 32,384 times

Advertisements

Hey there everybody

My name is Shaun, and I am emmigrating to America soon (December 08/ January 09) and will be living in Denton. I need to go there, because the girl of my dreams lives there. The problem is, before I go, I need to have found a job there or anywhere not too far away from there, or I won't get a VISA.

I am well-educated and will be graduating with a BA degree in psychology at the end of this year. I also have quite a bit of experience doing sales.

Any help or advice that anyone can give me would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,242 times
Wow from south africa to denton tx for some gal huh? Must be love! Nice... congrats.

Okay im in denton now... so I'll try and help out as much as I can.

You might have to take a rinky dink job just to get your foot in over here in Denton. I see you do sales... well thats good. I can keep you abreast on who is hiring... i will keep a look out. What you need to is keep track on the denton record chronicle for job listings...
http://classifieds.dentonrc.com/

also would you be opposed to driving to nearby towns such as lewisville, corinth, carrollton, lake dallas etc.... maybe even dallas or fort worth for work? the commute can be difficult depending on how far out in the metroplex you travel.
a number of people commute outside denton around here.

hope this helps so far. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
good luck--but don't think you stand much of a chance--
most of the posts I have read from people who want to move into this area from another state (much less a foreign country) said that companies won't respond to applications for jobs or do interviews even if the people are willing to travel in at their own experience when they live out of state
I believe an employer for someone who is coming in on work visa has to post bond--that means they have to want YOU pretty bad over US workers--what makes you special--
I don't think a $9 an hour sales clerk job is going to cut it...

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
Wow from south africa to denton tx for some gal huh? Must be love! Nice... congrats.

Okay im in denton now... so I'll try and help out as much as I can.

You might have to take a rinky dink job just to get your foot in over here in Denton. I see you do sales... well thats good. I can keep you abreast on who is hiring... i will keep a look out. What you need to is keep track on the denton record chronicle for job listings...
http://classifieds.dentonrc.com/

also would you be opposed to driving to nearby towns such as lewisville, corinth, carrollton, lake dallas etc.... maybe even dallas or fort worth for work? the commute can be difficult depending on how far out in the metroplex you travel.
a number of people commute outside denton around here.

hope this helps so far. Good luck!
Thanks alot for for responding Jabbit . This girl is very special to me. She is the love of my life.

I have no problem with travelling to nearby towns or taking any job I can get to get my foot in the door. I will check the link you sent me. I'm also regularly checking other sites with job listings for over there. It's a bit trickey though, so I'm hoping you can be my eyes and ears on that side.

Thanks man (woman?)

Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
good luck--but don't think you stand much of a chance--
most of the posts I have read from people who want to move into this area from another state (much less a foreign country) said that companies won't respond to applications for jobs or do interviews even if the people are willing to travel in at their own experience when they live out of state
I believe an employer for someone who is coming in on work visa has to post bond--that means they have to want YOU pretty bad over US workers--what makes you special--
I don't think a $9 an hour sales clerk job is going to cut it...
Well... I can only try. If I don't come right, there is another alternative. It's called "Fiancee Visas", but that means I have to marry her within three months of arriving there or I get deported.

We have discussed this and have decided to go this route, but I'd prefer not to do it this way. I woud like to propose to her in person, and take my time to plan a fairytale wedding with her.

If we get married this way it's going to kinda put a damper on things, especially because she dreams of having a huge white wedding with her whole family involved. I want that too..

Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,569 times
Loves2read can you be any more negative???

Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
Hey there everybody

My name is Shaun, and I am emmigrating to America soon (December 08/ January 09) and will be living in Denton. I need to go there, because the girl of my dreams lives there. The problem is, before I go, I need to have found a job there or anywhere not too far away from there, or I won't get a VISA.

I am well-educated and will be graduating with a BA degree in psychology at the end of this year. I also have quite a bit of experience doing sales.

Any help or advice that anyone can give me would be much appreciated.
Well... this brings back memories.

Shaun, you need to know that for a fiance visa you would have to go back to SA and wait for it to be issued. You cannot just change it once you get here. I highly recommend that you visit the consulate and see what your options are. It is very difficult to get a work permit in the US even if you have a PHD... I know some people who have been waiting for years. I really don't want to burst your bubble. You have to look at all the options. Do you have a special trade or skill that is lacking in the US? Can your fiance support you while you are here? She would have to prove it too... Also, note that SHE has to apply for you if you go that route.

Here's the link, read up please.

Spouse and Fiance(e) of an American Citizen

Good luck,

Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
facts are facts--why WOULD a company offer him a job when I don't think he has any special skills to offer a company besides the desire to move here to spend time with a girl he loves--
would you hire someone to work for YOUR company with those credentials--
a BA in psychology --to me--means someone without any clinical background or it would have a BS degree--if there was a clinical background he might be able to get job working in crisis counseling/drug rehab center--work as parole officer or something like that...
this is link to what type of work visa you need for working in US
Visa Types for Temporary Visitors
from what I read Shaun does not qualify -- he probably already knows this which is why he said he is coming in on a fiance visa...

Shaun--how long have you and this girl known each other and how did you meet if you are from SA and she is from US?
What do her parents think about this arrangement?
Does her dad have any connection/business that could offer you a job/visa?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Denton is a weird town so brace yourself.

Jabbit can explain the good sides of Denton to you.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 AM

I am currenly in South-Africa, nsumner. I will leave here when the "Fiancee Visa" is issued to me. In the meantime I'm just trying to become aware of all the other alternatives I have.

I know it will be hard to find a company to file a petition for me, and if it doesn't happen, I'll just go job hunting once I have settled in with my baby. I also plan to continue my studies there.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas