Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
Very good points. Thank you. Before I had my toddler I lived in the M-Streets and it seemed like there was a toddler or a family with a baby everywhere I looked. The M-Streets were also very friendly and neighbors visited with each other on a daily basis. (small town friendly) If someone were to pose the question I have asked but specified Dallas I could answer, "the M-Streets" as a result of having observed the make up and atmosphere in my previous neighborhood. I was hoping that someone in Frisco, Denton County or McKinney could offer a similar observation about their own neighborhood. To get a bigger house and yard I moved to a neighborhood that I unfortunately discovered had mostly older children and neighbors that really like their privacy. I wish that I had gotten some recommendations on specific neighborhoods before buying.
My impression of the M streets - tell me if I am wrong - is that there are a lot of toddlers, but once the kids get school age, families move away. I have known quite a few families with toddlers in the M streets, but have never met a family with school age kids/teenagers. Do families stay throughout their kids' K-12 schooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 AM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
spend some time observing in the malls for those of you who shop and you can tell that Frisco is toddler crazy.

Its the stroller olympics at stonebriar mall every day. Not so much at the other malls around town.
Plus everyone raves about "story time" at the frisco library.

Frisco seems to have a larger "toddler" and young parent base than the other far north burbs.
If you look for a new development with an elementary school built in the center you will find infants and toddlers abound.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM

66 posts, read 382,435 times
Quote:
Very good points. Thank you. Before I had my toddler I lived in the M-Streets and it seemed like there was a toddler or a family with a baby everywhere I looked. The M-Streets were also very friendly and neighbors visited with each other on a daily basis. (small town friendly) If someone were to pose the question I have asked but specified Dallas I could answer, "the M-Streets" as a result of having observed the make up and atmosphere in my previous neighborhood. I was hoping that someone in Frisco, Denton County or McKinney could offer a similar observation about their own neighborhood. To get a bigger house and yard I moved to a neighborhood that I unfortunately discovered had mostly older children and neighbors that really like their privacy. I wish that I had gotten some recommendations on specific neighborhoods before buying.
go to mamasource.com. it is a forum similar to this one and they can probably answer your question. I have a toddler as well. There are plenty of families in my neighborhood but I don't really socialize with them much. Instead, I take my toddler to playgroups such as the Little Gym,Gymboree,Kindermusic and I've joined some playgroups with moms who have same age children on mamasource.com. You will also meet plenty of mom by taking your toddler to a Mother Day Out program.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
I am interested finding a neighborhood in Denton County, Mckinney or Frisco that is warm, friendly, interactive and full of toddlers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Frisco matches what you are wanting pretty well. It is nicknamed the baby boomers area because there is so many kids there. Frisco is very family-oriented and there is a ton of neighborhoods with really nice houses, full of families with kids, and very safe. Hope this helps!

Also, I am trying to get 50 Reputation points and I am almost there! I would really appreciate if you would give me some points by rating my posts. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
Again thanks for the responses. I am aware that Frisco and McKinney generally have a lot of toddlers. However, i was hoping for recommendations on specific neighborhoods that have not only a lot of toddlers but also that small town feel ie., friendly and interactive (prone to block parties and neighbors that visit with each other on a regular basis). Perhaps from someone living in Frisco or McKinney who loves their own neighborhood and would highly recommend it. I guess I am looking for what I had in the M-Streets just with a better school district and less crime.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,609 times
I live in Mckinney. I would like to know where you will be moving from. People are moving in all the time to this area from other parts of the country. There are people who deem this to be the most unfriendly of the burbs but if you are from another state, you might not think so. It just depends on you. I have had ups and downs but overall like it. It just depends on your pace and what you are desiring.

A good place to look is through meetup. com and ask moms in playgroups. There is a huge one in Mckinney run by a friend of mine who has 3 kids under the age of 5. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
Quote:
Again thanks for the responses. I am aware that Frisco and McKinney generally have a lot of toddlers. However, i was hoping for recommendations on specific neighborhoods that have not only a lot of toddlers but also that small town feel ie., friendly and interactive (prone to block parties and neighbors that visit with each other on a regular basis). Perhaps from someone living in Frisco or McKinney who loves their own neighborhood and would highly recommend it. I guess I am looking for what I had in the M-Streets just with a better school district and less crime.
You might want to check out Lantana, in southern Denton Cty. There's definitely no shortage of children. Many of the different neighborhoods do have block parties and we all do get out and meet your neighbors. The HOA is quite strict but the $$ you pay each month is well worth it when you look at all the amenities provided. The website is Lantana Texas :: Homepage.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,181 times
Quote:
There's a little-hidden neighborhood gem in Denton with a great mix of toddlers and older families (reminds me of M-streets of Dallas) but with bigger homes and larger lots. Lots range from 1/2 acre to 1+ acres with a minimum house size of 3300 square feet.

Eureka Park is nearby, only a short walk away. There's also the Denton Water Park and Natatorium, which is great for the summer time -- if you don't have a pool in your backyard. There are several great home builders here, notably:

I hope this helps

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 02-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: deleted real estate links - not allowed

Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
Smile Southlake

Hi,
I live in Southlake~I believe it's the best place to raise a young family in the Metroplex. Tons of young families, an abundance of preschool options, neighborhoods that are family and kid friendly. Activities galore for the whole family. It's a positive place to live!
Wishing you the best,
Laurie (corporate wife who has moved 12 in 20 years of marriage to the same man

Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM

116 posts, read 447,954 times
Quote:
In Frisco, some of the top master plans are The Trails of West Frisco, Lone Star Ranch, Hunters Creek, Starwood and Shaddock Creek. These master plans have on-site elementarys, E-Mail newsletters, Club house events for kids & holidays, community pools and most likely a party every weekend! They have a nice range of prices, buildersand sizes of homes-good re-sale.
McKinney- The Stonebridge Ranch neighborhoods over all have plenty of young families, good builders, on site schools & planned activities.
Home-owners in Tanglewood, Wren Creek, Aspendale and Cascades have talked how the kids have brought the parents together and have many porch parties! Tanglewood parents have the Bunko, Mens night and planned kids sleep overs. Giving some of the parents a planned date night!
Good luck-there are some great areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas