Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM

133 posts, read 512,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
I'm not from the DFW area but from my observations on several trips to the area, I find that I like Flower Mound and Southlake more than Lewisville and Grapevine, although all of them have good neighborhoods. Southlake is very nice but I think it's only drawback is seems a bit more isolated than the others.

Just my outsider's observation.
Agreed, Southlake is very nice. However, 200k might buy you a lot there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,609,513 times
I think you meant you might *not* get a lot there for $200k. I would be surprised if you can get anything in southlake for under $300k.

grapevine would be my first choice, flower mound or lewisville second for your price range. but even grapevine might be tough for under $200k for a newer home. you might have to go older or higher on the price. flower mound would have a few more and lewisville would have even more to choose from.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,221,140 times
I think he meant a 'lot' as in "a piece of dirt to build a house on".

Those of you who travel these parts..........would Prosper be a possibility? They are building new homes and new schools there fast as they can build. It is about 20-25 mi to both DFW and to UNT.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:11 PM

62 posts, read 225,713 times
Try Coppell and Carrollton (the part in Denton County).

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM

436 posts, read 1,609,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post

Those of you who travel these parts..........would Prosper be a possibility? They are building new homes and new schools there fast as they can build. It is about 20-25 mi to both DFW and to UNT.
ahhh... I see. having a bad day here and read it wrong.

personally, I think prosper would be a killer commute. no way would I drive prosper to dfw. the drive to denton would be ok, not great- prob 30 minutes w/o traffic, more with.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,851,818 times
for under 200k and newer..that really limits you. I'd say Grapevine is out as well as Coppell and Colleyville and even Keller (250 may do it in Keller)
Flowermound/Lewisville may be your best option.

How big? berooms baths and garages?

You could also look into NOrth Richland Hills, Hurst and Bedford..your commute will be longer though

Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,208,810 times
You may want to consider the follwowing cities. You will get a lot for your money and the commute would be reasonable to the airport or to Denton.

Keller, Roanoke, Very North of Fort Worth, Lewisville would have only a handfull, The Colony would be a good choice too, your husband would take 121 to go by the airport and you would take 380 to Denton.

Carrollton has about 5 that match your criteria.

Grapevine, Coppell, Southlake, Trophy Club and Flower Mound are just out of the price range.

Naima

Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 AM

82 posts, read 269,078 times
Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post

Never heard of Prosper, will check into it...

Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM

82 posts, read 269,078 times
Default So

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
for under 200k and newer..that really limits you. I'd say Grapevine is out as well as Coppell and Colleyville and even Keller (250 may do it in Keller)
Flowermound/Lewisville may be your best option.

How big? berooms baths and garages?

You could also look into NOrth Richland Hills, Hurst and Bedford..your commute will be longer though

Say we up-ed our price range...would $200-250 be reasonable on a nice home? If that's the case, which area would be best for a higher home price?
I have found some homes in Flower Mound, Southlake and Lewisville that meet our price range (not many, but SOME around 180-195), it's just hard to tell what part of each town they are in. I look on realtor.com...better website?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
if you are working at UNT be aware that you can ride a commuter bus for free--just show your student/staff ID
my daughter in law worked at UNT until a month ago and lives in apt in Carrollton/Lewisville area close to Vista Ridge mall
she did not realize she could ride the bus for free until I told her so she only started a few weeks before she took new job with DCCC ...
the bus leaves from the parking lot of a movie theater--park there for free during day
Movies 8 in Lewisville 420 Oak Bend Blvd.

it is about a 30 min trip and depending on where you work or have class you can catch a campus shuttle bus if you need a campus drop
she worked there for about a year and was really sorry she did not know about it sooner

Prosper would be a commute from hell to go to DFW--
gas is not getting that much cheaper--not going back to $2 a gallon
You might even consider living in Denton--and having your husband drive into DFW and you make a relatively short in-t0wn commute

If you want to be halfway--it takes about 30 min +- depending on times and weather to drive from north Bedford to UNT using the backroads--114 and 377
DO NOT GET ON I-35W (the FTW track) for your commute
couple of neighborhoods in Bedford with homes around 10 yrs--older homes north of freeway are in pretty nice neighborhoods as well--same as Hurst

something close to the George Bush would be good for DFW
otherwise west of I35 (Dallas side) is probably better for both of you

Last edited by loves2read; 07-29-2008 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas