Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,215,873 times

Advertisements

Company-owned Bennigan's, Steak & Ales close | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Effective Immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times
I have not been to a Bennigan's in a few years. The last time was down in the Houston area as it was close on our journey back home one evening. Before that it had been YEARS and I was not impressed at all. They don't have near the number of locations that Chilli's does nor TGIFriday's (which I prefer over the 3). I'd say some of the Chilli's locations are next. I remember years ago Bennigan's doing their big St. Patrick's Day celebrations, ads on tv and such. Maybe they should have relocated to more popular locations and kept up the gimmicks?

When was the last time any of you actually ate at a Bennigan's????

Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM

308 posts, read 1,228,959 times
Good news!

Now if we can just get the rest of the chain restaurants to close down we all would be better off!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,215,873 times
It's been a good 4-5 years since I've been to Bennigans. The difference between Chils, Fridays, and Bennigans is negligible, which may be part of the problem. In the late 80's and early 90's they all had almost identical decor as well. Seemed to be the thing for these causal dining places to toss about random knick knacks and collectibles.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,697,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
Good news!

Now if we can just get the rest of the chain restaurants to close down we all would be better off!
What impact on your life does the existance of a chain restaurant have? Simply not patronizing them should be sufficient.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:34 PM

308 posts, read 1,228,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
What impact on your life does the existance of a chain restaurant have? Simply not patronizing them should be sufficient.

The impacts are too many to list, but for starters:
  • There would be many more individually owned restaurants for me to patronize.
  • A little more "pride of ownership" would return to local restaurants which would be asetically pleasing to neighborhoods, cities, e
  • The general population would be healthier and weigh less (and thus less medical costs coming from my tax dollars) (3,000 calorie "awesome" blosom anyone?)

Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM

362 posts, read 1,714,723 times
I also have not eaten at either place in a very, very long time. Like billdfw, I prefer locally owned places when I can find them. When on the road, I'll eat a salad at Chili's if I have to but prefer not to. Come to think of it, I think its been a year since I even ate at Chili's. It has also been years since I've eaten at a TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Applebees (double yuck), Outback, etc. I wouldn't miss them if they were gone, but some other chain would likely just take their place.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,898,378 times
Default Re:

Leaving aside opinions about Bennigan's food...

The impact here in DFW is that there will be many above-restaurant employees (R & D, advertising, finance, etc.) pounding the pavement. There are several other restaurant HQs around here - Brinker, Carlson, Dave & Busters to name a few - but it might be rough sledding for those folks who rode this bad boy all the way down to find a new spot with another company.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM

670 posts, read 2,990,134 times
They all taste the same to me (Friday's, Bennigan's, Chili's) so meh whatever. I feel for the staff that just showed up though. Ironically we ate at one a few weeks ago and it seemed like something was going on because there was a lady going around with a measuring tape, measuring and writing things down. It was also dead. It was around noon and there were maybe 12 customers total.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,354,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
The impacts are too many to list, but for starters:
  • There would be many more individually owned restaurants for me to patronize.
  • A little more "pride of ownership" would return to local restaurants which would be asetically pleasing to neighborhoods, cities, e
  • The general population would be healthier and weigh less (and thus less medical costs coming from my tax dollars) (3,000 calorie "awesome" blosom anyone?)
Bill, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and open a restaurant?

My guess is, given your attitude, it would fold in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: