U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 PM

959 posts, read 4,159,559 times

Advertisements

My dad is being transferred to Carrollton, TX from out of the country so I'm doing all their area research for them. I was looking at homes in Carrollton and Farmers Branch but then was told they had gang violence? Is this true? Also have heard good things about Coppell, Lewisville, Plano (west side apparently?) and Flower Mound. What would the commutes be like from these areas to central Carrollton. And lastly, their price range is 150k to 225k. Any thoughts on a good place to live given those parameters?
Thank you in advance, VERY appreciated

Last edited by Indigoblue; 05-26-2006 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 12:10 PM

628 posts, read 2,366,169 times
I have family that lives in Carrollton so I know the area very well. The city is not gang ridden and I recommend you check out the homes that are north of 161 (George Bush). The shorter the commute to work the better!

Old 05-27-2006, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,638 times
Thats the difference between buying and renting in Carrollton. The house areas are mostly nice but the thousands of apartments are iffy. We were out on our porch a couple weeks ago and saw a cop walking around. Evidently someone had held 2 girls up at gunpoint and wanted their money. It just depends on where in Carrollton. The houses are nicer above Josey

Old 05-27-2006, 08:34 PM

959 posts, read 4,159,559 times
Default Question for Jakeanderika

Thank you both for the info Quick question for Jakeanderika. You said the houses are nicer above Josey but Josey runs North to South so did you mean to the west or east of Josey? Thanks And would appreciate any further info anyone has on the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeanderika
Thats the difference between buying and renting in Carrollton. The house areas are mostly nice but the thousands of apartments are iffy. We were out on our porch a couple weeks ago and saw a cop walking around. Evidently someone had held 2 girls up at gunpoint and wanted their money. It just depends on where in Carrollton. The houses are nicer above Josey

Old 06-23-2006, 09:07 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,168,977 times
I grew up in Carrollton and my parents are still there trying to get out. I would not recommend it and they live North of Hwy 190 (the George Bush Turnpike). They have had all kinds of trouble. The city does not enforce code much at all. If you want to live in a city that allows people to put in storage buildings in their backyard to house their extended family, take the garage door off and build in only part of the garage for more extended family and house all of the old washer & dryers for said extended family in the driveway, then Carrollton is for you. They have one house down from them that fixes cars for street racing and then they test drive them up and down the alley and street and have been doing this for at least 3 years. The city comes out and tells them no-no. But they are not around at nights and weekends when it is going on. They can not fine them if they do not witness them. They had another neighbor 2 doors down (house now empty after being foreclosed on) that celebrated BIG every weekend. There would be at least 100 people there easy. If it was a holiday or special event they would shot guns in the air.

My folks live in a "nice" part of Carrollton but this is what it is becoming really fast. Most of the apartments around/in Carrollton are becoming section 8 (subsidized housing). The area they live in is not considered a ghetto or bad but this is what Carrollton is turning into.

There are better parts of Farmers Branch than Carrollton sad to say. And it is the older part of the two (they have a joint school district).

Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 20,367 times
I live in NW Carrollton. Check out Eisenhower (N&S) East of Old Denton near Rosemead/Frankford area. Nice houses, blue ribbon elementary school. True, stay north of George Bush, west of Josey

Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 20,367 times
The neighborhoods in my area have Homeowner Association, so you will not get terrible looking yards and washer & dryers in the yards like the earlier post. That post sounds like they are talking about East of Josey. That area has gone down.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 PM

709 posts, read 3,163,471 times
North Carrollton is doing very well. Many homeowner associations and many neighborhoods that fit your dad's neighborhood.

True there are gangs in Carrollton,... yet believe it or not they are everywhere. Even in affluent areas. It doesn't matter where you live you there are gangs.

notime4net is right on target

Goodluck in finding just the right place for your dad. I"m sure you will find something that fits your father's budget and that will be safe. Even in Carrollton.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM

45 posts, read 308,979 times
Castle Hills, just north of Carrollton is a great community. It does not come under the Carrollton city jurisdiction and is in an unincorporated area.

Check out Castle Hills - Custom Home Builders in Dallas, TX - Community of the Year

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 PM

709 posts, read 3,163,471 times
Again, Carrollton is not the crime ridden place every one makes it to be. There are nice places and not so nice in every city. I have a friend whose husband is a police captain in an affluent area. He's handled several cases lately that were drug/gang related and they were in what most would consider to be upper middle class neighborhoods. Family areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or