U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,702,998 times

Advertisements

What seems to be the problem with the tap water in the Dallas area? It's smells terrible and tastes even worse.

Is there an extra heavy algae bloom this year that is causing the problem? Or am I the only one that has noticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,482,758 times
What part of the Dallas area? Different areas are on different water supplies. I thought it was the North Texas Water Authority or whatever it is that is city of Richardson and large parts of Collin County that had the taste and odor issues during August. I haven't noticed anything with the city of Dallas water.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 4,207,308 times
I hadn't noticed it yet. Although it's about time.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,198,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
What seems to be the problem with the tap water in the Dallas area? It's smells terrible and tastes even worse.

Is there an extra heavy algae bloom this year that is causing the problem? Or am I the only one that has noticed?
I'm not a bod tap water fan to begin with, but I have not noticed it to be this bad. We do have a PUR filter hooked up to the faucet to drink, but wask dishes and stuff with the regular water.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,277,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I'm not a bod tap water fan to begin with, but I have not noticed it to be this bad. We do have a PUR filter hooked up to the faucet to drink, but wask dishes and stuff with the regular water.
Don't blame you. I wouldn't use tap water for any cooking or drinking at all. They put all sorts of chemicals in the water - fluoride, chlorine etc.

Only use it for bathing, washing, toilet etc.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 AM

10 posts, read 20,100 times
The City of Dallas has some of the best water in the country. Here is a link to a ranking that finds Dallas (and Fort Worth and Arlington) to have some of the best tap water in the U.S.

Tap Water Quality : US City Sustainability Ranking - SustainLane.com

I have heard that Plano and some of the northern suburbs (which draw their water from different lakes than the City of Dallas) have problems with poor tasting tap water late in the summer, or during droughts, because of uncontrolled algae growth. It is described as an earthy taste. But it is supposedly not harmful to drink since it is properly treated. The taste is just funky.

In conclusion, if you want the best water in the area move to Dallas proper. The water is amazing. Fresh out of the tap year round. If you want to stay in Plano, keep drinking and deal with the taste this time of year, or get a Brita faucet filter, or buy bottled water for a couple of months.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,702,998 times
Yeah, I'm in West Plano...and the smell is actually worse than the taste - if you can bring yourself drink it. I've noticed it at restaurants around town too. I haven't tried it in Dallas proper.

It must be the algae...or the lake water it's pulled from is turning-over.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 AM

3,968 posts, read 9,342,306 times
I saw something in the news a few days ago that they were doing some kind of work on water lines, filters or something like that and to expect that the water was going to taste different. They also said that it was perfectly harmless...

I just foiund the link... it's supposed to be in Fort Worth

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/790737.html (broken link)

Naima

Last edited by nsumner; 08-08-2008 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM

339 posts, read 964,975 times
Oh I miss Dallas proper tap water!! I did opt to use a simple filtered pitcher for our refrigerated drinking water, but even straight from the tap I found it quite drinkable.

Then when we moved to N Richardson in the drought of 2006, dead of summer, I had to hold my nose to drink a glass of water and we began to debate just what shade of 'clear' was acceptable or if we could grow to love earthier tasting tea. Our new neighbors were moaning about the city watering restrictions but we figured a crispy lawn was the least of our problems since moving 12 miles north had doomed us to water our dogs even balked at. No filtration seemed to work for the taste or the odor. DH was one of those people who thought purchasing bottled water was just about the stupidest thing any rational person could do. Ha! Now he's the first to remind me when we're running low.

We've never gone back to tap even though I suppose the water did return to what is normal for our area. But it still isn't what we'd grown accustomed to in Dallas. Spoiled is more like it. To think there are folks who don't get fresh running water at all. Wow. I couldn't handle even two weeks of this foul, murky stuff.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,841,834 times
Weird...I never noticed funky tap water anywhere in the DFW metro. I guess I've just been here so long, I'm immune to it...haha!!! But Lubbock water...now THAT is scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas