U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 38,372 times

Advertisements

We're looking to do the entire house in plantation shutters. I suspect it's going to be expensive; we have about 9 windows that are roughly 8'x3', and another really big one that's probably 8'x6'. I understand that it's likely to be expensive; not exactly sure how much, but everyone says that shutters are a lot more than blinds.

Can anyone recommend a reputable place in the DFW area to work with? I don't want to consider dropping that kind of money on a Lowes or Home Depot install if people have bad things to say about them (I've heard things about other similar type services), and I don't really know anyone else who has them installed to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,550,681 times
It's been a while since I got plantation shutters, but the going rate then was about $25/sq ft - it's probably closer to $30/sq ft now. 9 windows @ 8'x3' = 24sq ft ea x 9 = 216. 1 window @ 48 sq ft, so a total of 264 sq ft x $30/ft = $7920. Hope this helps to set some expectations. Sorry, but I can't remember where I got mine... I'm not in that home anymore, so I don't have the receipts.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,824,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
It's been a while since I got plantation shutters, but the going rate then was about $25/sq ft - it's probably closer to $30/sq ft now.
Also, if you have non-square windows (curved tops) or anything that will require customization, there is typically a linear foot charge added on. When I was shopping, this was about $100 per foot (so $300 for a 3' window).

Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 PM

25,776 posts, read 44,084,796 times
we have friend who is builder--when he did his house almost 2 years ago he had the wooden plantation shutters added to almost every room--
don't know who he ordered from but they were made overseas--maybe China--and then shipped here
they are great looking and I know he shopped for price
if you want me to ask them where they ordered--just PM to my name and I will ask them...

Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 PM

80 posts, read 216,864 times
We did ours through Budget Blinds ( in our previous home) which is a national franchise. They were wood not plastic and I love them and will do them again. We lived in very drastic tempurature 105 in summer and snow in winter and they were great insulators not to mention beautiful.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 AM

212 posts, read 352,679 times
I used Shutters America and they have by far the lowest price. (972)494-3357

I got mine installed a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 10,515 times
i used ken jordan shutters several years ago. they were good, i don't remember how expensive comparitively they were to other companies. They were all wood. On my last house, i chose to go with a composite, instead of 100% wood, so they wouldn't warp. they look like wood, cost the same, but i think they last better. i can't remember what the companies name was though~sorry! but at least i hope the first recommendation helps

Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 PM

38 posts, read 96,507 times
yep.

stay away from the "big boxes" like HD or Lowes om this item.

you'l get marginal sub-contracted installers + grief beyond belief.

big boxes are good for a can of paint, box of nails, or dropping off a stove.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 PM

155 posts, read 408,066 times
Actually if you get the Polywood Shutters through Home Depot, which we did- then they aren't even installed by Home Depot. They are maufactured by Sunburst Shutter Co. and they are the ones that come out and measure and do the install. Home Depot is just the middle man. In fact you can even go straight to Sunburst themselves. We went through Home Depot only because they had 10% off the total price which is huge when you are paying for shutters. We have had both wood shutters and the Polywood in seperate homes and in my opinion, the poly is by far better. They are easier to clean, don't have to be painted, don't crack, and keep the heat our better.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,975,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2aus View Post
Actually if you get the Polywood Shutters through Home Depot, which we did- then they aren't even installed by Home Depot. They are maufactured by Sunburst Shutter Co. and they are the ones that come out and measure and do the install. Home Depot is just the middle man. In fact you can even go straight to Sunburst themselves. We went through Home Depot only because they had 10% off the total price which is huge when you are paying for shutters. We have had both wood shutters and the Polywood in seperate homes and in my opinion, the poly is by far better. They are easier to clean, don't have to be painted, don't crack, and keep the heat our better.
Ya I had a friend who got shutters installed about a year ago and they got them from Home Depot and Sunburst actually did the installation and everything. They said they were very good and had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or