U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2007, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 46,298 times
Question Snake Advice

Hello! My husband and I are interested in purchasing a property in Rockwall but are a little concerned about some venomous snakes (cottonmouth & copperhead) that live around the creek in the property. We have a 3 year-old and although the creek is not very close to the house, we are still concerned about them. We don't know much about living in the country so we have lots of questions.
The most important is, can you live a "normal" life just keeping them in mind and taking the necessary precautions?
Do you have to live in constant fear because of them?
Also, will they be getting close to the house?
What can be done about them?
Please help!
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 AM

1,560 posts, read 5,016,109 times
Any natural area, like a creek, is bound to have "nature" in it. Whether that's snake, rats, possums, skunks, fish, frogs, etc, largely depends on the actual site. Your only "real" protection would be a solid barrier, such as the vinyl fencing sold at big box home improvement stores. Even then you would want the fencing down to and perhaps underneith the surface of the ground. Such fencing of course does detract from the view, and the beauty of the natural area.

I've never lived next to a creek, (nor have I lived in Texas long,) but I will admit that I've been hesitant in the past to purchase a home along a creek for similar reasons. Of course if the creek in question has been "renovated" by developers, to little more than a concrete trough through the neighborhood, you have less to worry about. In either case, my bigger concern would be flooding.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,017,235 times
You can pretty much live "normal" and not worry about them. Just make sure to keep your land clean. Don't allow brush to grow up, don't stack wood (just get a gas fireplace w/ gas logs ), keep trash picked up, etc. Don't plant lots of ground cover either. All of these things attract the very food that the snakes like to eat, rodents. Keep the rodent population away and the snakes will not have any reason to come around. When the house gets close to completion get some Decon and put out in the attics, the garage, shops, etc. Have an exterminator come out every 3 months to do an inside and outside treatment. We have a house on Lake Tawakoni (not far from Rockwall) and we live in Garland on water and the golf course. We have seen snakes but more down on Tawakoni. Most have been in high brush or hidden under something. One was curled up in the grill when we took the cover off and opened it RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did, . In the 16 years we have had that property we have only seen a snake about 4-5 times. Here in the city we've only had small baby snakes come around although we know their mama is somewhere.

There is a product to use called "Snake Away". I have a bag of it sitting in the garage that I have not used and for good reason. You put it out along the perimeter that you want to keep the snakes out of. Problem is you have to make 100% dead sure that there are no snakes INSIDE that perimeter when you do it. Otherwise you have trapped them in it. Umm, never mind then.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM

OH!!! I received an email from a friend in Rockwall today. Someone that lives along the lake in Rockwall spotted a Bald Eagle the other day. If I could figure out a way to post the pics I would. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! It was near Chandlers Landing I believe.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 4,509,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Don't plant lots of ground cover either. All of these things attract the very food that the snakes like to eat, rodents.
We are looking at one acre lots in Haslet, is this something where I shouldn't plant plants or bushes near the house?? Is this something that a local nursery can help me with?

Thanks!!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
We are looking at one acre lots in Haslet, is this something where I shouldn't plant plants or bushes near the house?? Is this something that a local nursery can help me with?

Thanks!!
Yes, a local nursery should be able to help you with such. Shrubs around the house are fine. You just don't want things like brush growing up, high grass/weeds or thick ground cover. As for the shrubs, you don't have to plany them right up in a row against the house. You can have very deep beds and have them dispersed around in the beds w/ a mix of variety but overall some shrubs in your landscaping will be fine. It is that thick stuff that they can hide in that gives them a cool place next to the ground that they like. Same goes for rodents, lots of brush and thick ground cover and they can hide easily.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:11 PM

1,379 posts, read 4,509,832 times
Thank you very much!!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM

14 posts, read 46,298 times
Thank you for your help! You have given me very valuable information!!! I will certainly keep all this in mind! Thank you again!

Last edited by hc123; 01-29-2007 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Missing Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas