Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,080 times

Advertisements

I read this but just couldn't believe it. I've heard a few horror stories and joked around about HOAs and how I'm far too rebellious to ever move into one, but I honestly had no idea it could be this regulated. Seriously?! It's not just un-American and Nazi-like, it's un-Texan. And around here, thems thar fightin' words!! So you couldn't even say, oh, pull a Ford F-150 out of the garage to wash it? What happens if you have a friend/relative visiting for a few weeks who happens to drive a clunker? Does one have to refer to a friggin HOA manual to doublecheck the terms and bylaws they agreed to just to handle each and every potentially iffy situation?

I know not all gated communities/HOAs are filled with petty, property value obsessed status junkies who cannot bear to be visually assaulted by the smallest threat to good taste. Ones who can't wait to tattle on neighbors' rules infractions...gets the word to the Board lickety split! If you work hard to live in an affluent area it's great to be proud of it and to keep it as nice and uniform as when you moved in. But I cannot grasp defending any association, here in TX, that actually splits hairs between one high priced truck--a truck with perhaps slightly more working class roots-- to another, applying 'worthiness' to just certain makes and models. Makes me feel a little ill.

Maybe I'm a freak of a homeowner, but I just don't get my undies in a wad by seeing weeds in a lawn or by any 'creative' shades of paint. When life gives you lemons or your neighbor's lawn is the color of one, make lemonade! So I use those 'special' homes as directional tools for GPS-less friends traveling from their non-HOA house to mine. When you've gone past the shocking blue house with the huge honkin boat, we're 2 blocks away. Then we're just 4 houses down from the dandelion yard. Life in a perfect looking neighborhood bores me to tears. Beware the Stepford 'Hood, I always say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
LOL F150 not allowed but a spinner clad 1999 Escalade "oooh lookit me Im a thug" pimpmobile is.

Should amend rules:

No vehicles:
1) With ladders or pipe racks
2) Side lettering
3) >"1 ton"

Id rather live next door to a nice newish F350 ANY day over a ricer with a wing and a fart can exhaust.

HOAs are to keep your "artist" neighbor from painting his house flourescent green and covering the roof in pink plastic and covering the front lawn in cars on blocks as some part of some "artistic statement"

Old 08-18-2008, 07:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
My neighborhood has a "voluntary HOA" that we joined. It basically says you'll take care of your lawn and fence - and in return for your $50 per YEAR due, you'll get a directory. Then again, our HOA is over 30 years old, so it isn't nearly as ridiculous as some of these new HOA's.

If an area had a really restrictive HOA, I simply wouldn't live there (and would probably poke fun of people that live there, because that's kindof fun to do). I have a Ford Ranger. I refuse to replace it until it completely dies. Vehicles depreciate. If your HOA requires you to have a snooty-mobile, then I wouldn't want any part of that neighborhood.

Shoot, if I lived close to Stonebriar, I would be tempted to start a carpool with some folks that I work with, take our older vehicles, park within the sub, then pile into one vehicle to head to the office. Hehe. Parking on a public road when you aren't part of an HOA - there is legally nothing they could do about it. ROFLMAO!

Brian

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,521 times
I am glad this happened, so that people will think twice (and read 3x) before buying in an HOA-controlled area.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I don't have a problem with HOA's when common sense prevails. In this case common sense has went right out the window. The Ford F150 is the best selling truck in Texas and has been that way for a long time. To say it's unacceptable while a Escalade or Navigator is just screams elitest to me. I live in a area with no HOA. Sometimes I wish I had one but for the most part I am glad I do not. If we had one I would want them to ensure that the general upkeep of the neighborhood would be covered. I would never want one that would tell me what kind of car or truck I must drive. Thats going beyond what a HOA should be in control of.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
A Lincoln Mark LT pickup http://trucks.about.com/od/2007linco...Truck.-0b-.htm

is just wrong.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
I am almost certain that and Lincoln Mark LT has the same frame, chassis, well pretty much the same everything as an F-150. The only differences would be a few cosmetic ones such as leather interior and a few tweaks to the exterior.

I could understand if they did not want some ragged out old thing with two flat tires, and leaking oil.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Yes but it's not a real truck. It's what the old-timers would call a 'duded-up' version.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Can't this guy just park his truck on the street? The HOA couldn't do anything about that, and the vehicle would be even more visible. LOL!

The HOA basically told that guy he isn't the class of person they want in their neighborhood. Totally elitist and the stereo type of what I think of when I think of Frisco. Too funny.

I'm happy to stay in Dallas, enjoying my HOA... which by the way is a whopping $50 per year and is voluntary. We use that money to have BBQ's to meet the other folks in the neighborhood. Now that's going to make a better quality living, not restricting vehicles. How sad.

Brian

Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
OH dear me. This is tooooo funny. I read it the other day and had a good laugh. Then while on the phone w/ a very good friend I happened to mention to her that we are both a "lower class" of people. They have a new Ford F150 in their drive and I have a Chevy P/U in mine. Meanwhile in MY garage sits a couple of high dollar muscle cars and then a PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO (a car that brand new runs around $100K). LOL!!! In my friends garage sits a Hummer H2 AND a brand new Lincoln Navigator AND a golf cart. Yep, just call us white trash

So this guy is called a "lower class" because he SAVED himself $10K by NOT buying the SAME EXACT truck w/ a Lincoln badge on it. That is called SPENDING YOUR MONEY WISELY!!!!!! Sounds like the LOSERS on the HOA are all about trying to impress others. I don't care what someone spends on their cars & trucks. If they keep them nice and in great shape then GOOD!

I'm for what I read someone else say. Go get a USED Cadillac Escalade and paint it BRIGHT PURPLE, put some BIG wheels on it and some spinners and for added measure some curb feelers. Afterall we ALL know that Cadillac Escalade owners are a "higher class" of people Oh, and some hot pink flames going down the side would be nice as well as some SUPER dark tinted windows and a CRANKING loud stereo system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas