Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The University of North Texas said Tuesday the school is ready to invest up to $25 million in programs that could grow the school’s reputation as a research institution, as well as the state’s economy, by emphasizing studies related to areas like technology and genetics.

The full story is at UNT to launch $25 million research effort - Dallas Business Journal:
That's awesome, but according to you, that shouldn't matter right? Students can receive a quality education anywhere! Why should UNT even invest the money in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
The University of North Texas said Tuesday the school is ready to invest up to $25 million in programs that could grow the school’s reputation as a research institution, as well as the state’s economy, by emphasizing studies related to areas like technology and genetics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
That's awesome, but according to you, that shouldn't matter right? Students can receive a quality education anywhere! Why should UNT even invest the money in the first place?
That's right, it doesn't matter, since research quality has nothing to do with the quality of teaching or the ability to learn.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

If you think the DFW universities are bereft of research and have no national impact in that area, here's a counter example of significant research by a Dallas institution. Of course it doesn't really relate to the clarity and viability of the teaching process, especially at an undergraduate level, but it may rescue the civic pride of those who have a hangdog, defeatist attitude about DFW institutions...

Here's a header for the article and a link to the body...

.................................................. ........

From University of Texas at Dallas (press release) - Dallas,TX,

Space Scientists Study Sun's Effect on Temperatures in the Ionosphere

Two satellite instruments built by UT Dallas researchers for a NASA-funded mission are showing the impact of low solar activity on the Earth’s ionosphere.

Link is at Space Scientists Study Sun's Effect on Temperatures in the Ionosphere

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Alright, score one for my alma mater!!

They just keep making things happen..

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Alright, score one for my alma mater!!

They just keep making things happen..
As a former Mean Green myself, I too am proud of my alma mater!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
UT didn't have good quality professors when I was there. Total hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
My two cents. SMU is not on par with Rice. My experience there was good access to professors and small class sizes. I don't think you can find that at UT. That was important to me and part of the reason I chose to go there. They also have a really good business school that offers good exposure to the business world.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Absolutely true. That is why I hated going to UT. It isn't that I couldn't succeed. It's that I didn't want to in that sort of environment.

Quote:
One consideration is that schools such as Rice and UTAustin are not really better at teaching, they are just piggybacking on the quality of their students. They are able to recruit the sort of students who will excel, no matter how well or how badly they are taught. And only because they have a preestablished reputation, and the top people want to be associated with that reputation. The thing they are good at is selecting top people, not necessarily educating them.

For example, Bill Gates, of Microsoft. He was selected to attend Harvard, but dropped out after a few weeks in order to found the Microsoft corporation with his partner Paul Allen. Thus, Harvard University had no input to his career. Steve Jobs of Apple is another example of a succesful selection who dropped out of college.

If yopu are one of the most brilliant young people in America, it doesn't matter if you go to Rice, or to UT Arlington... you will succeed either way. Because the school really doesn't matter.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Well Houston Has A World Class University And Dallas Doesn't

After reading 17 pages on this thread I can say that Houston has a World Class University "A University On A Par With The Best In The World" and Dallas Doesn't have one (((and Dallas doesn't even want one))) and Dallas Never Will Have one A World Class University. Thanks you for this very interesting thread guys.

Last edited by Howest2008; 09-14-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Keys Not Working

Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
After reading 17 pages on this thread I can say that Houston has a World Class University "A University On A Par With The Best In The World" and Dallas Doesn't have one (((and Dallas doesn't even want one))) and Dallas Never Will Have one A World Class University. Thanks you for this very interesting thread guys.
Rice is too small and insignificant to be a world class anything. 3,000 students? that's the size of a high school, not a university.

The vast majority of Houston's world class students are in the same place as Dallas' ... resident in existing universities such as U of H, U T Arlington, UNT, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Rice is too small and insignificant to be a world class anything. 3,000 students? that's the size of a high school, not a university.
This thread is STILL going?

Anyway, that is absolutely NOT true. Look at some of the discoveries and research spurred by Rice, especially in bioinformatics and nanotechnology. You don't need a huge school population to do that. Just a really smart, well-funded one (and being next door to the world-class Texas Medical Center helps.)

Rice University | News & Media
Rice University | News & Media
Rice scientists make breakthrough in single-molecule sensing
GCC for Computational Cancer Research
Quantum dot recipe may lead to cheaper solar panels
New cancer weapon: nuclear nanocapsules, Bio/Medicine, Rice University - NanoTechWire.com - The online resource for Nano Technology And Research
Buckyballs used as 'passkey' into cancer cells ( Scientists at Rice University and pedia...)
Biotech Breakthrough Could End Biodiesel Glycerin Glut
Rice scientists make breakthrough in single-molecu... ( HOUSTON Feb. 6 2008 -- In a study th...)
Single-molecule Sensing Breakthrough: Optical and Electronic Measurements Made Simultanously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas