U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM

27 posts, read 48,606 times
Billy Gates is a visionary and tech revolutionist, no doubt. He personally may not have further benefited from an elite education. Obviously he wouldn't have benefited from a lesser one either.

Why do you think he chose to go to Harvard in the first place over a college like UNT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 AM

2,231 posts, read 3,961,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyboi View Post
Billy Gates is a visionary and tech revolutionist, no doubt. He personally may not have further benefited from an elite education. Obviously he wouldn't have benefited from a lesser one either.

Why do you think he chose to go to Harvard in the first place over a college like UNT?
He didn't go to UNT because he didn't live in Texas. Or maybe because he hadn't heard about it. Or because Harvard has a prestige factor. Or because Harvard made a strong bid for him that the U of Washington didn't care to match. Who knows how he happened to end up there?

At ant rate, he abandoned Harvard. He found that it was not equipped to do an adequate job of teaching, and he figured, rightly it seems, that he didn't need to use its prestige to advance his career.

It's a mark of shame if people go to a college merely in order to associate themselves with its reputation. It's sort of like managing to get a date with the prettiest girl in high school in order to impress your buddies. You end up listening to a boring and conceited egomaniac talk about herself all night. In the case of a Harvard, you find that the school has an enormous degree of self-importance, is focused on what you can do for it, and is selling the same product... a body of knowledge, as any other college, but at a more and enormous cost.

If you want to learn Physics, for example, save your time and money and learn the Theory of Relativity at UNT. It's the same Theory of Relativity they have at the Harvards of the world, and it's a lot cheaper at UNT.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,814,540 times
"You end up listening to a boring and conceited egomaniac talk about herself all night"

Good to know that nobody here resembles this remark.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM

430 posts, read 797,139 times
To get away from the scholastic debate for which there will never be a definitive answer...I want a beach in Dallas! I know, I'll never have the kind of beach here that I visit in beautiful Northern Michigan but a girl can dream.

The schools here are good enough and plenty of people from all of those highly ranked schools you've been discussing move here anyhow. There's no shortage of talented and intelligent people here.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM

2,231 posts, read 3,961,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
To get away from the scholastic debate for which there will never be a definitive answer...I want a beach in Dallas! I know, I'll never have the kind of beach here that I visit in beautiful Northern Michigan but a girl can dream.
Well, there are certainly more impressive beaches than our lake beaches, but no matter which beach you look at in the world, there's always going to be a better one somewhere else.

They say that the perfect is the enemy of the good, or to rephrase that, if you search for perfection in the world, you will invariably fail. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.

Quote:
The schools here are good enough and plenty of people from all of those highly ranked schools you've been discussing move here anyhow. There's no shortage of talented and intelligent people here.
Quite true. Cities such as Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc., are the most dynamic in the USA, have the top economies, and are most sought out by migrants from the rest of the country. And when I look at the background of the Dallas people who are most succesful in their careers, and have contributed the most to our metro, I find very few with a so-called Ivy League background.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM

6 posts, read 3,420 times
I loved reading this entire thread. I've never seen someone so defensive about defending a Moderator cut: language school like UNT and comparing it to a Harvard/Berkeley/Stanford. I guess that's what happens after being rejected. Even SMU, Rice, UT Austin or A&M would've been better than the "Mean Green".

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-04-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,276,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
A World Class University like Rice University in Houston.

NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, SFO, Washington DC have them but not Dallas.

I'm jealous.
How does Boston not make this list? DC? Cmon!

Texas/Dallas is known for other things that anchor the area very well. The benefits of being a University town is when the young educated folks stay there it becomes a think-tank for companies to draw from. It' has it's benefits, but doesn't necessarily guarantee it improves the economy of the area.

Quite honestly, Boston being as parochial as it is, wouldn't be as desirable a place to live if it didn't have the universities it has, so I see your point. But...Companies STILL find it expensive and difficult to operate here! Go figure..My point, I don't think this is a major gap for Dallas' desirability.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,582,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
How does Boston not make this list? DC? Cmon!

Texas/Dallas is known for other things that anchor the area very well. The benefits of being a University town is when the young educated folks stay there it becomes a think-tank for companies to draw from. It' has it's benefits, but doesn't necessarily guarantee it improves the economy of the area.

Quite honestly, Boston being as parochial as it is, wouldn't be as desirable a place to live if it didn't have the universities it has, so I see your point. But...Companies STILL find it expensive and difficult to operate here! Go figure..My point, I don't think this is a major gap for Dallas' desirability.
See Texas Forum thread discussion: Four Texas Universities Among Best in the World
w/link to: World University Rankings 2012-13

UT at Austin - 25th
Rice - 75th
Texas A&M University - 156th
UT at Dallas - 167th

University of Houston, UT at San Antonio and SMU listed between 351-400

Oh, and just for kicks, Boston was ranked at 54!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 894,832 times
You all say a university, I say an awesome downtown and a good public body of water. SMU is good enough, White Rock Lake would be good enough if it were more centrally located. A good public transport system would be next. DART is a good start, but needs to be good enough where you could live in Dallas without a car.

And I've never seen a ranking of universities I considered even sort of legitimate. Most take too much crap into account, like endowments, how quickly students graduate, and average class size. And they change year to year. How could that even be possible?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,276,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
See Texas Forum thread discussion: Four Texas Universities Among Best in the World
w/link to: World University Rankings 2012-13

UT at Austin - 25th
Rice - 75th
Texas A&M University - 156th
UT at Dallas - 167th

University of Houston, UT at San Antonio and SMU listed between 351-400

Oh, and just for kicks, Boston was ranked at 54!

Gotcha! ; ) My main point was if someone is going to itemize College towns Boston HAS to make that list. But while we're on the rankings topic; while it's an excellent school and attracts an international crowd, BU isn't what I think of when I think World Class. I think Harvard, MIT, etc..And how Amherst College (well it's a College I suppose) doesn't make that list is beyond comprehension.

Last edited by skids929; 10-05-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas