U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM

96 posts, read 297,344 times
ChicagoRon, The black teens around here pull down their trousers, and walk like thugs, in gangs, and flash threatening gesture like holding an imaginary gun, They spew curse words in almost every sentence. I seen white kids do it to. But it least its not Chicago or LA where if you cross the wrong street you could get shot for being the wrong color or wearing the wrong clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 AM

216 posts, read 443,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwil View Post
ChicagoRon, The black teens around here pull down their trousers, and walk like thugs, in gangs, and flash threatening gesture like holding an imaginary gun, They spew curse words in almost every sentence. I seen white kids do it to. But it least its not Chicago or LA where if you cross the wrong street you could get shot for being the wrong color or wearing the wrong clothes.
thats a stereotype you are describing. Just because a teen has sagging pants does not mean they are dangerous or use foul language. Sagging pants just happens to be the "cool" thing to do. The more parents hate it, the "cooler" it becomes.

I dont like sagging, but i dont automatically assume a kid is a "thug" who uses foul language and is threatening just because their underpants are showing

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM

45 posts, read 82,028 times
Default Cedar Hill

Of the southern Dallas Suburbs Cedar Hill would be the best You get alot of house for the money and lots of new retail is coming into the area which is rare for southern parts of Dallas county

Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM

3,578 posts, read 7,106,838 times
Since the original question was "What is the best area in Cedar Hill) I will give this answer. I doubt anyone will dispute that Lakeridge is the nicest part of the city. Like already stated, drive thru the neighborhood and check out the schools to make a informed decision.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Stereotyping teens, yea, I shouldn't do that, right?
(Still don't like sagging).

If you want to avoid such street scenes stay away from the Highlands. Well at least for now. The neighborhood is gettting together and trying to raise our taxes to put in shrubbery, vinyl fences ,and waterfalls at our entrances. Maybe that will help our neighborhood's image problem, (the sagging doesn't help, just kidding..).

Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,951,812 times
Default Highlands Neighborhood

Quote:
Stereotyping teens, yea, I shouldn't do that, right?
(Still don't like sagging).

If you want to avoid such street scenes stay away from the Highlands. Well at least for now. The neighborhood is gettting together and trying to raise our taxes to put in shrubbery, vinyl fences ,and waterfalls at our entrances. Maybe that will help our neighborhood's image problem, (the sagging doesn't help, just kidding..).
Where exactly is the Highlands neighborhood located in Cedar Hill or what streets are in the neighborhood? When house hunting about two years ago, we looked at a number of homes in Cedar Hill and I just wanted to know if some of them were located in that neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Hi Acntx, To my understanding, The original Highlands borders old south Clark on the west, Beltline road to the north while it ends into the newer additions across Canady on the east, and Parkerville road on the south. The newer additions expand north pass Canady to Pleasant Run and ends at Joe Wilson on the east.
Ok, I am curious, where did you eventually decide on?

Since "The Highlands" was brought up by some Real Estate poster a while back on these forums as a place to stay away from. I want to say, hey, wait a minute, talk to someone who lives there before you decide. Ok, since I do, I say stay away from here. Just kidding, truth be known, I know or met most of the closer neigbors and they really are of all different races, ethnicities not just black and white but native africans, hispanics, etc..btw, our neighbors are decent people, they share their food, throw block parties, meet to address crime and other concerns, help each other out w/ home improvement projects, watch neighbors homes for any suspicious activity, report stray dogs, etc.

To Southern Living, I should be fair, the parents of those teens are usually cursing as well. We make a point not to curse around our little ones so we really notice it now. We become like our parents, LOL.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,951,812 times
Quote:
Hi Acntx, To my understanding, The original Highlands borders old south Clark on the west, Beltline road to the north while it ends into the newer additions across Canady on the east, and Parkerville road on the south. The newer additions expand north pass Canady to Pleasant Run and ends at Joe Wilson on the east.
Ok, I am curious, where did you eventually decide on?
Thanks for the boundaries, ricwil. We looked at four homes in that general area:
--House on Weaver Street: Well maintained, but erroneously listed as a three bedroom, two bath when it only had a single bathroom.
--House on Cox Street: Of all of the homes in Cedar Hill that we looked at, this one was the best. Very nice, great floorplan, but offers had already been made on it by the time we saw it.
--Duplex on Ballard Street: Curb appeal but the contract-process had began on it before we could look inside.
--House on Matterhorn Street: Nice but not right for our family.

After living in a DeSoto apartment for 16 years, we looked at between 20 and 25 homes in the southwest Dallas County area during September-October 2006. Our first preference was DeSoto, but there were few homes in our price range that were on the market then. The home on Cox in Cedar Hill was very nice as I mentioned, plus it was close to all of the shopping/retail businesses in the city. It was very disappointing to find out that numerous offers had been made before we could get in on it. There was a home in Glenn Heights that was a good match, but the sellers decided that they wanted to rent it. Having lived in Lancaster many years ago, we also looked there and found a spacious home in great condition with a nice layout.

While the shopping amenities in Lancaster are limited when compared to Cedar Hill, we do have the basics and are still only minutes away from the neighboring communities. What people don't understand about our area is the level of cooperation that takes place between the cities and residents of Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, and Duncanville (also called the "Best Southwest" cities) - a good way to describe it is "basically one city of 167,200 people with four names." This should really be emphasized since suburb-to-suburb relations in other parts of DFW aren't always so positive.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM

I used to work in Lancaster a couple of years ago. At lunch we used to go down to a restaurant on the square in Lancaster. It was mexican fare and pretty good. I miss that Lancaster downtown and all the old homes down Dallas Ave. I met several friendly people over there and still stay in touch when I can. Cedar Hill has a extension campus from the community college over there too, it is right down from where we live.

I'll tell how we got here now. About 9 years, we had been in an apartment in Carrollton and were starting a family. We both worked the midcities area but traffic was horrible. I spent 30 minutes just getting out of Carrollton on I-35!!! The Bush and 121 tollways weren't built yet so I assume its better, . Also the prices were 20-30K higher for comparable housing than Cedar Hill. That and the commute was easier and Cedar Hill was really taking off sold us. We really liked the parks and hills nearby as I am kind of an outdoor guy. I would hate to leave it. My family keeps growing though and the schools are struggling so we are looking to get further out maybe out by Ovilla, or something like that around here. I worry about getting too close to those factories in Midlothian and want to at least be upwind and some distance maybe 10 miles?
I remember, Carrollton had a relationship called Metrocrest w/ Lewisville and Coppell and Farmers Branch, I believe. I wasn't really paying attention to their cities partnership but I think they would work together to bring business and industry to their area. It seems Bestsouthwest has some good accomplishments for their efforts. One thing I haven't heard of recently is the Loop 9 tollway, anyone know whats up with that?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,599,428 times
I will be moving back to Texas in the fall of 2009 from the Midwest and will highly consider CH because of it's diversity. I do not have any children so the statement I am about to say is what I have observed over my 10 years of providing therapy to children in their homes. The BEST child(ren) I have ever came into contact with are the homeschooled child(ren). These children are respectful, honest, intelligent and the most socialized children I have ever met. But what may surprise most of you is that the parents lived in modest homes basically because they were living off one income; that of the father. So blame of a child's behavior should be placed were it belongs... back in the hands of the upbringin of the parents not the school districts. Cedar Hill residents, here I come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas