U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,005 times

Advertisements

Can I ask at what age did your child get diagnosed with Asperger's? Right now I have a 3 year old with sensory dysfunction, possible ADHD and possible Aspergers's. I've been paying an arm and a leg for therapy and just wondering if there are any private schools in the Dallas metroplex that could take him. Right now I live in Garland but would be willing to travel. He is supposed to start preschool in the Fall but I'm having trouble finding a Mother's Day Out or preschool therapy that could handle him. He didn't qualify for any services through the school district and am afraid he may fall through the cracks. Any advice, help, or resources you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM

24 posts, read 52,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Here's the website to Plano ISD:

Plano Independent School District – Plano, Texas

Here's the specific page in their website about special ed

Special Education : Plano ISD

I've had the parent of a child with Aspergers tell me Plano ISD was great for her son. He did not get a degree, though, but a Certificate of Completion.

That's a nice link, but I don't buy it.

My best friend lives in Plano and has been trying to get us there for 3 years! We have seriously considered it while applying for job. We have three special needs kids. She has a child on the autism spectrum...and at first she told me how happy she was with the school. This got us very excited to go. She described how they bend over backwards in all her excitement over her first year there...(he had a one on one aide the first year) then the one on one worked with him AND another child (one on two?) and finally he was given no aide at all this year.

But lately there is trouble in paradise. Her son has been more and more agitated, and it seems he is spending more and more time in the resource room...bringing that work back to his Nuero Typical classroom. finishing his resource work there... not having time for any of the classwork that is also expected of him. I asked her "can he be missing the aide, maybe he needs the extra support and he feels cut loose?" and she is like "Oh no they say he doesn't need it anymore" I was crazy nuts from this ...I am sure they phased it out way sooner than he was able to handle it. I cannot stand the thought of having someone else telling "You know what would be even better?" for my kid (according to what their budget dictates!)

My friend gets NO therapy at all for either kid (her kid other ikid s ADHD) and she actually pays $75.00 out of pocket for her kids OT. So they only get it 1X per wk! Because that's all they can manage. It is not nearly enough, plus they need ST and PT (which they do not get.

He is so stressed he comes home he is like shell-shocked!!! How is that functioning in the mainstream? For me that only "appears" that he is in a Nuero Typical classroom...while he is more and more stressed lately and mostly somewhere else all day. I do not agree with this premise...I think it looks like he's doing well only to the outsiders who hear he is in a regular classroom, but not when you are living that life. Meanwhile in the course of the last 3 years he had to be placed on meds due to his stress level, that he never needed in his previous schools.

Plano prides themselves on the "fact" that he was brought up to a more functioning level, (where he no longer needs the aide) but my friend is finally admitting to his struggles with no further assistance from the district.

Good Luck to you we are struggling with our own dilemma of where to move for our special kids!

Last edited by mamachka; 01-07-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: typos and additional info

Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 AM

38 posts, read 82,661 times
I had children in the Garland school district for the past 11 years, (3 of them) and the magnet program is excellent. We have recently moved to Washington state, to one of the best districts, and my kids are "bored to death." While the test scores are higher in magnet schools the tolerance for misbehavior is lower. I don't know how you son would fit into that, if he acts out or anything. I would pick up the phone and call a superintendant's office, and ask to speak to a speech pathologist, or special education department head. They live there, and love to share their opinions when asked. They want what's best for these kids, and if their district doesn't have it, they know who does, as well as possible grants for private schools. The best thing about Texas is that it is a very wealthy state, and they invest in education. I don't miss the heat, but I do miss that. Plano and Mesquite are good districts, but have problems with "bubba" attitudes. They make the news a lot. I would personally go Plano or Allen before Mesquite. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

26 posts, read 99,451 times
Columbia Missouri is the Best in the US
Visit AutismNews.com

Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 AM

2,800 posts, read 5,687,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movemaker View Post
Can you tell me of any schools located in Dallas for special needs children?
In Dallas, there's the Rise School and Oakhill. And depending on the difference, Winston School.

My dental hygenist was telling me yesterday how they moved to Red Oak (Ellis County) for the services in the schools for their son with autism - they are very happy with the program.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 76,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
My best friend's son has severe autism and she is a school counselor. She has said time and time again that Plano has the best services for special needs kids in the area. I know Lewisville has been mentioned but she has heard some horror stories out of that school system from special needs parents.

To demonstrate how committed she is to the program in Plano: she is 4'10 and a single parent. Her son is increasingly violent and hard to manage for her but she has committed to keeping him with her until he is out of elementary school because he won't get the services he needs if he goes to live with his dad; after elementary school he will have progressed as far as he can go.

We've seen remarkable improvement in her son since he started school. I just can't recommend Plano enough. And I am sure my friend would be happy to talk to you if you so desire.
Hi SepiaZelda,

I have a 7 yr. old high functioning autistic child are we are considering relocating from Michigan to Plano, Texas. My wife will be interested in speaking to your friend regarding Plano's Special Ed. and assitance, if it is possible

Thanks

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,502 times
Default Moving to Dallas Area

I am looking for a realitor with an autistic child - I will be moving soon and want someone that is aware of needs that can help with schools. My son will be 5 this month if anyone can help.

thanks Jon

Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM

22 posts, read 39,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydens Dad View Post
I am looking for a realitor with an autistic child - I will be moving soon and want someone that is aware of needs that can help with schools. My son will be 5 this month if anyone can help.

thanks Jon
Hi Jon,

Have you tried contacting anyone within the autism community of Dallas yet? If you haven't, or if you don't know anyone in Dallas yet, perhaps you should call Autism Speaks, 6380 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas (972) 960-6228

They may have some good info for you.

I hope this helps. I am only licensed in Arizona.

Rob
Agent4Autism

Last edited by justadad; 10-03-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: member website links are not permitted per ToS

Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM

156 posts, read 370,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydens Dad View Post

thanks Jon
Jon,

I also have a son with Autism. We moved to Frisco (very close to Plano) 2 years ago, and we had an excellent realtor (whose office is in Plano). She does not have a child with Autism, but she is very knowledgeable, hard-working, and (if this is important to you) is a devout Christian. She was referred to us by my sister's co-worker who goes to the same church as our realtor. She was also very patient and kind to my son. If you would like her name, please feel free to send me a private message. I think you'd be very happy with her.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,390 times
Texas has very little to offer autism families, and no matter which school district you are in, the services are hit and miss. Even if you move to a neighborhood with the perfect program for your child, there is no guarantee that the ISD Gods will allow your child into that program. For the most part, your child will have to fail tremendously before possible admission to an appropriate program will be considered. Very high functioning children are frequently considered "not autistic enough" - so medical diagnoses are not accepted by school districts. IEEs are also frequently dismissed, leaving the family to walk away for home or private schooling - while still funding the public schools, by the way - or to file due process.

The culture is grim and hostile here, I'm afraid. We do have a bright spot if your child is in grades 3-8 and you are able to make this option work. Texas recently created a charter school called the Texas Virtual Academy. It has helped a lot of autistic children who are mostly in need of help with sensory and attention issues, as well a lot of other disabilities like dyslexia. The program is carried out at home on a computer that the school provides. The curriculum is K-12 and very thorough, and there is a teacher so the "learning coach" is not alone.

Honestly, if you are planning to move to Texas, I would move to exactly where you want to move and cross your fingers that the public schools will patch something together for your child. There isn't any enforcement of IDEA in this state, so you just never know what you're going to get and good programs fall apart quickly with a change of teacher, principal or administration. If you wind up having to leave the public schools, it hurts more if you are in an area with high property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas