U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,169 times

Advertisements

relocating to dallas area september from Phoenix. Any suggestions my wife and I are 53 and 50 so want an area thats not to full of "young people" more middle aged if you know what I mean. We are young at heart and enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 04:11 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
I would not pick Rowlett. I've lived there and moved back to Garland. Rowlett has one of THE highest water rates around and just raised it (we are in severe water rationing right now and people just don't get it). I have some relatives that are a bit older than you and they moved back from Florida this year and found a home in Garland on the golf course in Firewheel and LOVE IT!!! They love that most of the people around them are also retired and they like being on the golf course and walk it all the time. They moved from Plano to Florida and now to Garland. Always thought they would live in Plano or Florida but have changed their mind. They like the slower pace in Garland. It is also a pretty tight knit community that is involved w/ lots to do. And with Hwy 190 you are close to anything in Dallas.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 28,986 times
Avoid Garland at all costs. I grew up there and other than the far north end of town it has become a dump. GISD terrible school district. So many better places to choose from.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
I have 2 children in the GISD and LOVE it. I have friend that teach in every ISD around the D/FW area and Garland is one of the best. At least the GISD still has vocational training in their high schools unlike others. Not every child is going to attend college. I grew up in Carrollton, my sis taught in Plano and is currently in McKinney. From what I hear form her, I would homeschool before I put my kids in those schools. But if you are retired it really does not matter about the schools. But at least you will know the kids around you will be getting a good education. The GISD has GREAT magnet programs starting in elem. They have one of the only magnet programs around for kids that are "gifted and talented" along w/ the classical center for the arts and the math and science center. Not many school districts can say that. Our "G&T" middle school competes in the robotics area and every year is up against high schools, private schools and home schoolers and they always come out on top.

I don't know the last time John S. was in Garland, but it is NOT a dump. But hey, keep that perception up and it helps keep Garland from growing like crazy like the Plano, Frisco, Allen & McKinney. I like my little slice of Heaven.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:06 PM

487 posts, read 1,254,992 times
We moved from Garland to Plano almost two years ago. We moved for a variety of reason, but the biggest one is the failures of the GISD. Make no mistake as to why a school districts establish magnet schools. They change low performing, old schools, in the poorer neighborhoods to the magnet schools in an effort to improve performance at those schools. My oldest son went to Beaver and then to Jackson, no problems at Beaver but when he went to Jackson it's a different story. I won't go into all the details of the problems at Jackson but suffice it to say the AP (advance placement) kids do have to mingle with the neighborhood kids. Additionally, Garland has an electrical coop and residents have no choice of electic providers as they do in other cities in the metroplex.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 17,355 times
Smile Still moving to northeast Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Conklin View Post
relocating to dallas area september from Phoenix. Any suggestions my wife and I are 53 and 50 so want an area thats not to full of "young people" more middle aged if you know what I mean. We are young at heart and enjoy life.

I would love to show you some countryside in northeast Texas. Wide open spaces where you can have a horse or two or small, quaint neighborhoods where everybody knows your name. Rowlett is a nice town but still too much city for me. Let me know if you're interested!
Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or