U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM

81 posts, read 126,686 times

Advertisements

We may have an opportunity for a job in the Dallas Metroplex area. Are there any outskirts that may have lakes and rolling hills. Also I would like to be in a family friendly area where there is a sense of community, ie. knowing your neighbors, helping each other out, activities, etc. Would like to not have heavy traffic around our home. Are there any homeschool groups in the Dallas area? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 PM

81 posts, read 126,686 times
No one can give me any info?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 620,607 times
There are definitely plenty of family friendly areas within the area, unfortunately there is also plenty of traffic in most of these areas. If you truly want a more rural lifestyle you'll be able to find it but then you'll have to deal with traffic if you have a work commute. If you know what area of Dallas you'll be working in that would help narrow down locations of where to live.

As for homeschool groups - you will also definitely find them. My daughter is not school age yet so we're aren't on that track. Best place to find those is probably thru the churches or I know every year there is a homeschool convention for the parents to buy the books and other materials. I think the homeschool group my sister-in-law is involved with is from their church. They live in the Sachse area but she was also in a group when they lived in the Bedford area.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,629,839 times
Here is a group that meets on Thurs:
Homeschoolers EXCEL > Home

Lakewood Presbyterian on Gaston runs a homeschool-like program Tues-Fri from 8am-noon. Grades K-12.

And there's a homeschool art class here:
studioartsdallas.com (http://www.studioartsdallas.com/content/view/103/122/ - broken link)

More info for enrichment:
Welcome to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center :: Glen Rose, Texas (http://www.fossilrim.org/visiting/home_school.html - broken link)
The HEARD Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary, Mckinney Texas

Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 AM

427 posts, read 973,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
We may have an opportunity for a job in the Dallas Metroplex area. Are there any outskirts that may have lakes and rolling hills. Also I would like to be in a family friendly area where there is a sense of community, ie. knowing your neighbors, helping each other out, activities, etc. Would like to not have heavy traffic around our home. Are there any homeschool groups in the Dallas area? Thanks for any info.

up in the mckinney area north of 380 on 1827 there are country estate developments. 1 acre minimum lots rolling hills and some of them have lakes. this website will take you to a few of the developments

The Green Belt of McKinney

Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM

14,622 posts, read 27,621,156 times
you might also conside the Rockwall area east of Dallas
some of the post here give it a thumbs up and it is close to lake

Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,107,319 times
Look at Fairview. Especially if you're homeschooling...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM

18 posts, read 64,526 times
I agree with aeh. Fairview has the rolling hills that you mention, as does neighboring areas of Lucas or Parker. About an hour commute to downtown Dallas if that helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,722,468 times
Argyle too

Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 PM

493 posts, read 1,175,985 times
I would totally recommend Fairview, Lucas, Parker and Wylie. We live in this area and love the fact that it is more rural and we can easily get to the lakes but also we can easily get to the shops in Mckinney and Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas