Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 15,201 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from the East Coast to Dallas. My husband's office will be off of North Central Expressway. Where is a good place to live? We would like the commute time to be about 25 minutes. We have a daughter so a good school is a must. A nice family neighborhood. But in case we don't like Dallas I should be able to sell my house! We thought of Plano and Richardson. Is it better to actually live in Dallas? What are some good neighborhoods? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Where off North Central Expressway? And How old is your daughter?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 88,768 times
Also it will be helpful to know what your budget is.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

18 posts, read 83,216 times
Schools are generally considered better in the suburbs than Dallas ISD. Some areas of Richardson and Plano are great. Allen/Fairview/Lucas are nice too.

Depends on the distance on Central that your husband would have to travel. Allen's main exit (McDermott) is 25 miles from downtown, but trafic does not move at 60 mph during rush hour.

Sales are way down for the past two years, but values are basically holding steady in many of these towns. Allen is up 6 percent from last year (but sales are 17 percent lower). Plano is even with 15 percent fewer sales. Fairview/Lucas are up 3 percent with a 12 percent reduction in number of sales.

Good luck with your decisions.

Tom

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM

66 posts, read 382,435 times
M streets or Lakewood. That would be 75 and Henderson Ave or Abrams.
look here for example: Real Estate (http://www.mlsfinder.com/tx_ntreis/mstreets/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=109326 17&searchkey=765c4137-d9fa-3385-7a03-5d0083f15dd8&npp=10&sr=1 - broken link)

I'd send daughter to Lakehill Prep in Lakewood. Maybe even Lakewood Elementary? But there are great private schools in the area> Lakewood Montessori,Lakehill Prep,White Rock North,etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine29 View Post
My family is moving from the East Coast to Dallas. My husband's office will be off of North Central Expressway. Where is a good place to live? We would like the commute time to be about 25 minutes. We have a daughter so a good school is a must. A nice family neighborhood. But in case we don't like Dallas I should be able to sell my house! We thought of Plano and Richardson. Is it better to actually live in Dallas? What are some good neighborhoods? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
M streets or Lakewood. That would be 75 and Henderson Ave or Abrams.
Most of Old East Dallas is blessed with excellent schools (at least at elementary level) Bonham, Lakewood, Lipscomb, Lee, etc

Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I would not recommend Lakehill. Lakewood Elementary just received the Blue Ribbon Award, one of 26 schools to be honored. Every East Dallas Elementary except Mata (4&5grade from Mount Auburn) is recognized or exemplary. Mount Auburn missed exemplary by one point.

J. L. Long Middle School has had some troubles but consistently wins state competition in math and science. It has a new principal who grew up in the area and previously taught at our high school. It is in the process of being completely redesigned as a college preparatory school, along with our true gem, Woodrow Wilson High School.

This year Woodrow has been selected as one of the best high schools in America by Newsweek http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?s=texas , named one of 39 model schools in math and science by the Texas Public Policy Foundation, the mock trial team placed second in state competition, the musical and one-act play took honors in the regional Cappie (high school Tony Award equivalent), and took two state championships in sports. The senior class of 225 graduates earned almost $3 million in college scholarships. Woodrow is an excellent school for college bound students - last year's valedictorian is now at Yale and the salutatorian is now at Princeton. It is also one of the most historic schools in the country (cited by the National Trust) and a most impressive list of alumni: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow...(Dallas,_Texas) It is the only public school in the nation to have two Heisman Trophy winners.

Next year it will begin offering the international baccalauareate program.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 09-18-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM

I figure Long has to become a great school soon. The elementary schools are so good, and Parental involvement is so high (particularly in the lower grades) that the parents will stay involved, and simply will not accept Long as anything less than an outstanding school. I have attended public schools, private schools, DISD, RISD, etc and I have never seen parents as involved as they are here.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Point of info - Woodrow and Long share the same seven-acre campus - plus 5.8 acres of athletic facilities at Randall Park and the new Santa Fe Trail to White Rock Lake and Downtown.

The new Long principal is Danielle Drury Petters. She attended St. Thomas and graduated from Woodrow in 1986. She then taught at Woodrow for eight years. She came to Long after serving as principal of Calliet. She comes from a very large family and all of them graduated from Woodrow. The youngest just graduated a few years ago. The family funds an annual colllege scholarship at Woodrow.

She is totally committed to the school and is working with the Woodrow SBDM and Principal Vail (who was a student at Woodrow - graduated 1991 -when Petters taught there) on this redesign plan. The campuses will set dual goals and collaborative planning time for verticle planning each week. One associate principal will work at both schools. Certain teachers will work at both schools to ensure continuity. Woodrow is set to get $10 million in bond improvements which will add facilities needed at both schools.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,702 times
Have to tell us the street exit for your Husband's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas