U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2006, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

Which of these two is better based on the following factors:

1) Neighborhood in terms of safety
2) Diversity in terms of Asians and Hispanics
3) Difficulty of commute to Downtown Dallas
4) Property Tax
5) More places around the areas for dining, shopping, etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 26,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydata2006
Which of these two is better based on the following factors:

1) Neighborhood in terms of safety
2) Diversity in terms of Asians and Hispanics
3) Difficulty of commute to Downtown Dallas
4) Property Tax
5) More places around the areas for dining, shopping, etc.

Thanks.
1) Both good choices but Grapevine is possibly the better one because Plano is more densely populated and surrounded by densely populated cities.
2) DFW area has large Asian and Hispanic populations but the Asian population is more concentrated in Arlington and possibly the Euless/Haltom City/Bedford area north of Fort Worth and also west Dallas. Large Hispanic groups in southern Dallas and in Fort Worth.
3) Both would be time-consuming driving to downtown Dallas.
4) I think Plano would have the higher property tax being in Dallas County.
5) Both areas are great for shopping and dining.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 28,965 times
First, plano is in Collin, not Dallas, county. But yes, the taxes are high.

My commute from GV to downtown is about 45 minutes in the morning, and at least an hour in the evening.

Traffic management (traffic signals) are a joke in Grapevine. The local morons don't know how to manage traffic. You'll approach an intersection (with no cross traffic), and the light changes to red. And, strangely, there's a GV squad car watching the intersection. I confirmed with the city that most intersections are metered (loops in the streets tracking traffic), and they watch intersections with camersas (not red light camers, but traffic monitoring).

There is NO diversity in GV. Everyone is white, everyone drives a pickup, and is ready to "kick your ass" if you get in their way. I moved here from Dallas county, and it is a redneck hooterville. I've avoided having my "ass kicked" by identifying myself as an off-duty officer, and making sure I'm always armed here.

Plano - People are more refined and less violent.

If my wife didn't love this place I'd sell the house and move.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM

6,746 posts, read 10,979,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckqualls View Post

There is NO diversity in GV. Everyone is white, everyone drives a pickup, and is ready to "kick your ass" if you get in their way. I moved here from Dallas county, and it is a redneck hooterville. I've avoided having my "ass kicked" by identifying myself as an off-duty officer, and making sure I'm always armed here.
Plano - People are more refined and less violent.
Grapevine is about 25% Hispanic now, and one elementary school (Timberline) is majority Hispanic. It still maintains its exemplary rating.

My husband and I have never had a problem with Grapevine people being violent, and we have lived here for 8 years. We don't drive a pickup, either.

I will agree that Plano has more diversity in different races, such as Asians and blacks. We have very few of those races in Grapevine.

I would not live here and try to commute to downtown Dallas. Honestly, move to Plano so you can take the DART Rail to downtown and save yourself the awful drive.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM

19 posts, read 28,965 times
Rail from Dtn FTW to DFW is coming, and a stop is planned in Dtn Grapevine (near the Vintage RR, I think). DART's planning to extend a light rail line to DFW.

If Dallas and Ft. Worth can agree to have their respective systems terminate at the same place in the airport, then one could jump from one system to the other and continue on.

That'll be the day my car's clutch will thank me. Drive a couple of miles, park, take the train to DFW, hop over to DART, and ride downtown.

Years ago the "Lone Star Transit Authority" was proposed and put to voters in DFW. Idea was to merge Dallas Transit System and "The T" into one joint agency (ala DFW Airport), and have a unified transit system for the metroplex (even Arlington?). Voters voted that down.

I'd love to see one unified transit system for the metroplex. Can you imagine riding rail from one end of the metroplex (White Settlement to Garland) without having to jump systems? Wow.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 AM

168 posts, read 354,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
1)
3) Both would be time-consuming driving to downtown Dallas.
Hope that helps!
I commute from Southlake to downtown. Like many other areas in the metroplex, its all about when you drive. I pass right by Grapevine on 114. If I was to estimate the Grapevine to downtown commute when I drive it in the morning, its 30 minutes. Thats leaving the area by 7am. Not so bad if you ask me. Same thing coming home, as long as you are a bit early or later coming back. If you are going to drive it at 8am or 5pm, then its definitely a pain...closer to 45 min -1 hr.

DFW traffic is worst from N to S/ S to N... not so bad W-E/E-W, in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 AM

435 posts, read 1,023,616 times
in a nutshell, plano.

grapevine is nice and safe, but plano will be a much better commute, has asians (not as many hispanics), and is close to a lot of activities.

property tax will depend partly on which school district you feed into- plano should be plano and grapevine should be grapevine/colleyville, but plano can also be lewisville isd (not sure if any part of grapevine feed elsewhere). so tax rate can vary depending on address within the town. you could look them up on the web if you want. in any case, I can't imagine they would be different enough to sway your decision on way or the other.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
FYI: This thread is THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!!

I'm sure the OP has moved on by now. We had a poster come on yesterday, ckqualls, and dig up 3 year old threads. Now all the current stuff is getting pushed off because of it. Please avoid posting on threads that someone dug up if it is not relevant. It does not benefit those that have started new threads that need up to date info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas