U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

636 posts, read 1,280,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Go to Texarkana, Arkansas and get Arkansas tags. Arkansas has no inspection or smog tests.
Ya, then bring it back here and try to get it registered... Thanks for playing, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 14,036 times
Lightbulb Passing emmissions - Good & Bad

I totally understand your frustration with not passing emmissions - I'm having the same problem here in GA. My '89 Maxima runs really well after I tuned it up, changed the oil regularly, and replaced the PCV valve. The NOxppm results are nearly double the max amount. I've even tried this solution called "Garanteed To Pass" from my auto parts store and it dropped my NOxppm results 100+ points (from 1692 to 1561) -not bad. But since the maximum allowed for this test is 1121 - I was still way off. So, if your car is not far from passing, I suggest you buy this solution, it was only $8.98.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 PM

143 posts, read 276,872 times
As the OP, I should make an update to say how things worked out.

In February I spent $123.04 [+$15.00 installation] on a new air hose since the old one was cracked. This rubber hose probably cost 25 cents to make. This kind of markup should be against the law.

I crossed my fingers, went for an inspection, and the emissions test............................................fa iled again :- (

More work was done and the mechanic at the Toyota dealership then said he replaced the EGR VSV, EGR MODULATOR, and VACCUUM HOSE - whatever those are. This was different than what the mechanic at the other Toyota dealership suggested: "We'll go in there and clean out the gunk!"

It cost me another $501.29 and I have a new inspection sticker.

But the lingering question is: Did I really pass or was it rigged?

I can imagine a scenario where the mechanic would try his best, the car would still fail the emissions test, and then he would rig the results so that it would pass. The customer is happy to get the damn sticker so that he can get his registration and stop being hassled by the cops. The mechanic saves face instead of admitting he doesn't know how to fix it.

12+ months pass and the car fails inspection again. The mechanic says that things have changed and that more work is needed.

This whole inspection repair racket is like voodoo. No one is sure how to fix it exactly. They are just throwing darts at a dart board.

If my car doesn't start I bring it in for service. If I get the car back and it starts - I know something was fixed.

I have no idea if anything was done to fix my emissions problem unless I want to take the engine apart. If it fails inspection again I have to keep paying and paying.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,845,059 times
Several different causes of failed emissions tests.

Bad gas cap
Bad O2 sensors
Bad coolant temp. sensor
Bad MAP Sensor
Vacuum leak
Clogged PCV valve
Stuck Injectors
Stuck EGR valve

These are the most common reasons.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 12,997 times
I have a 2001 toyota camry that couldn't passed the emission test but my friend told me about Xtreme Fuel Treatment and brought it and was able to passed emission. I've also seen improvement in my gas mileage. I brought it at [url]https://creid.gosyntek.com[/url]. Test it out and see for yourself.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,685,908 times
My wife has a 2005 Chevy Equinox that failed the emission inspection. I used the code given and did a google search. It only needed a new gas cap but I have to put 60 miles on it to reset the computer. My sticker is expired but I have to drive it to reset it. I just hope my neighborhood cop understands my plight.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
My wife has a 2005 Chevy Equinox that failed the emission inspection. I used the code given and did a google search. It only needed a new gas cap but I have to put 60 miles on it to reset the computer. My sticker is expired but I have to drive it to reset it. I just hope my neighborhood cop understands my plight.
The new caps are tricky. My 02 Suburban will send a "Service" signal if the gas cap is not even on right and air tight. They are now made to be so air tight that if it is not it can mess up the emmissions testing even though nothing is technically wrong w/ the car. We had the worst problem with the ones we bought that locked. Took those off and put the original back on and no problem at all. The dealer can't reset it for you? Whenever I would take mine in that is all they did was basically "reset" the computer and clear it. They didn't have to put any miles on it.

I find it odd that our 98 Chevy full size 4x4 pick-up and my 2002 Suburban Z71 can pass the emmissions with flying colors and nary of a problem at all. Yet newer cars and ones that are supposed to be more "fuel efficient" are having problems. Strange........ Then again, my husband is ANAL about getting filters changed and going to the better filters, tires (pressure and wear & rotation), etc. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but it can as of what I've seen the last few months on the road w/ some of these smaller cars that are belching smoke and all.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 12,701 times
Wow.. the majority of people on here are morons. Just because your income level is high enough to be above poverty doesnt mean you have money to dump into an older but reliable car that runs fine and doenst "smoke" at all. It just wont pass the emissions test. who care's? its a TX scam to get your money. I would have thought intelligent texans (being on the right side of most issues) wouldnt have bought into the lunacy of human generated global warming. how arrogant to think that we have such a massive effect on our planet. (oh... the planet naturally cycles through temperature changes? who knew? i thought the cave men and dinosaurs caused the ice ages because they werent polluting enough. rediculous.) any way... im not in poverty, but i do have student loans to pay off and would rather not keep doing that for the next 10 years because TX says I need a new car when mine runs perfectly fine.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,283,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloga View Post
Wow.. the majority of people on here are morons. Just because your income level is high enough to be above poverty doesnt mean you have money to dump into an older but reliable car that runs fine and doenst "smoke" at all. It just wont pass the emissions test. who care's? its a TX scam to get your money. I would have thought intelligent texans (being on the right side of most issues) wouldnt have bought into the lunacy of human generated global warming. how arrogant to think that we have such a massive effect on our planet. (oh... the planet naturally cycles through temperature changes? who knew? i thought the cave men and dinosaurs caused the ice ages because they werent polluting enough. rediculous.) any way... im not in poverty, but i do have student loans to pay off and would rather not keep doing that for the next 10 years because TX says I need a new car when mine runs perfectly fine.
Well, before you criticize others stupidity, get your facts right. The Idea that global warming is in part human made doesn't say that we have a huge impact on the environment, but that we have the last little percentage that tips the scale.

Our planet has a very fragile ecosystem that was working in perfect harmony before the industrial revolution. The planet didn't produce more CO2 than it could absorb. But then we started spewing all kinds of nasties into the air, and chopping down the most important "CO2 absorber" we have (the rainforest) at the same time.
We might not have an overly significant contribution, but we might just be what tips the scale, see?

Whether there's global warming or not, or if it's man made or not really shouldn't be the question though, local pollution is one of the biggest health issues we face today, and in time to come. Children develop Asthma and other airway disabilities at an alarmingly high rate, especially in clogged up inner city environments or heavily trafficked areas like Dallas.

In San Fransisco there's been cases of children getting cancer types generally associated with OAP, as well as allergic reactions and airway disabilities not before recorded.

On a local level we're killing the air we're breathing in and quite severely affecting our young ones, so who cares about global warming?! Lower emissions for your kids and their future.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,653 times
I can't believe there are still people who think tailpipe emissions are no big deal. I think they should first spend the night in a Stahl/ barn with horses (our previous transportation system for thousands of years). Then go to sleep in your garage with your "harmless" vehicle running. Remember, only try this if there's a chance you might breed and educate further generations about your dumb ass theory (that people can't affect the atmosphere). If you wake up, you win, and we were all stupid. I'll bet your family really believes Dick Cheney just couldn't scramble the fighter jets fast enough, that buildings 1,2, and 7 were not a controlled demolition, I guess Wonder Woman might have flown into #7 with a plane full of invisible jet fuel. "Pancake Theory" Ha! They did it right under our noses, shut up and support the troops. Am I being crude? Go for a swim in the Gulf, do some body surfing, maybe eat some shellfish. BP loves you. So does Dick Cheney. Go back to school before you make the world a dimmer place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas