Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
FYI, this thread is from 2008.

I'd hope by now that the OP has found the problem w/ their vehicle, fixed it and passed the emmissions.
OMG! You're right.

I've always wondered why people dig up these old threads and restart them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizy View Post
Look. I am reading this moron about global warming that has been proven to be false. I have a master's degree and a science degree from UC Davis. Global warming and many of the other eco fascist are destroying our freedoms. I am a mother have a 2001 landrover from Illinois and we dont' have this eco fascist regulations. I move here due to my husband job at Ft. Hood as a construction manager in energy and when I went to get the inspection they told me it failed because of it being a gross poluter. What? WTF! I own my car and don't want to finance another PERIOD. My registration will expire in 1 week out of state and I can't get all the repairs necessary by then. What the hell do I do? I hate TEXAS already!!! You people are a bunch of progressive sheep. It is fascism to force me to fix my car yearly. It runs very well and I have not put many miles on it. Yet I am sure this mechanic is going to rack up a huge bill for me. I can't even get an extension until I can get it fixed. I can't be without my car. So what am I supposed to do. I am fighting this. THis is fascism. I don't mind fixing a car with reseanable laws. In California if you need repairs they give you a temp registration and time to fix it. If it is too expensive they give you an exemption. So if you want to amended this stupid law I will lead the coalition. No one has the right to force me to buy a new car and pay thousands of dollars for global warming. This goes against the essence of what made America free. China is starting to look good to me.
For all your touting of your education, did you by chance take a technical writing course? You should ask for a refund. Nice first post, way to come in swinging, welcome to C-D. ;-)

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 12,187 times
Cars that are '96 and newer are OBDII don't require a tailpipe test. All it should take is plugging the car into their machine, and if you're not passing, they should be able to tell you exactly what fault code is being read by the machine. Researching the fault code that should give you a good idea of how/where to address the problem. Autozone will hook your car up and can read these codes for free if you ask.

Older cars (OBDI and older) require an actual tailpipe emission test, and yea, finding out exactly why your car is running poorly can become difficult.

Original poster, have any of the mechanics suggested a new O2 sensor?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It is required by the larger counties like Dallas, Collin, Denton, Tarrant etc. If you take the car to another smaller county they want inspect it unless the last inspection was in that county or the car is registered in that county. Trust me on this one.
Untrue. I drive a car that's registered in Panola county and got it inspected in Gregg county no problem. They may, however, refuse if it's registered in a county with emissions.

I think the best thing to do would be to change the address on your license to a county without emissions and get the vehicle registered and inspected there. It's inconvenient but it's better than worrying about fixing your vehicle when you don't have the money to.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Untrue. I drive a car that's registered in Panola county and got it inspected in Gregg county no problem. They may, however, refuse if it's registered in a county with emissions.

I think the best thing to do would be to change the address on your license to a county without emissions and get the vehicle registered and inspected there. It's inconvenient but it's better than worrying about fixing your vehicle when you don't have the money to.
Sorry, if you LIVE IN a county that requires emissions and the car is registered in that county you can NOT get it inspected in a county that does not require emissions.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 AM

That's what I thought.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizy View Post
Look. I am reading this moron about global warming that has been proven to be false. I have a master's degree and a science degree from UC Davis. Global warming and many of the other eco fascist are destroying our freedoms. I am a mother have a 2001 landrover from Illinois and we dont' have this eco fascist regulations. I move here due to my husband job at Ft. Hood as a construction manager in energy and when I went to get the inspection they told me it failed because of it being a gross poluter. What? WTF! I own my car and don't want to finance another PERIOD. My registration will expire in 1 week out of state and I can't get all the repairs necessary by then. What the hell do I do? I hate TEXAS already!!! You people are a bunch of progressive sheep. It is fascism to force me to fix my car yearly. It runs very well and I have not put many miles on it. Yet I am sure this mechanic is going to rack up a huge bill for me. I can't even get an extension until I can get it fixed. I can't be without my car. So what am I supposed to do. I am fighting this. THis is fascism. I don't mind fixing a car with reseanable laws. In California if you need repairs they give you a temp registration and time to fix it. If it is too expensive they give you an exemption. So if you want to amended this stupid law I will lead the coalition. No one has the right to force me to buy a new car and pay thousands of dollars for global warming. This goes against the essence of what made America free. China is starting to look good to me.
Apples and Oranges. Emission inspections are for gases such as that VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) that lead to the formation of O3 (Ground Level Ozone) that are emitted by your tailpipe. Here are the effects of Ozone:

High levels of ground-level ozone can be a health hazard. People with lung
disease, children, seniors, and people who are active outdoors can be affected when ozone levels are unhealthy. Studies link high levels of ground-level ozone exposure to:

• lung irritation that can cause inflammation much like a sunburn;
• wheezing, coughing, pain when taking a deep breath, and breathing
difficulties during exercise or outdoor activities;
• permanent lung damage to those with repeated high-level exposure to
ozone; and
• aggravated asthma, reduced lung capacity, and increased susceptibility to respiratory illnesses like pneumonia and bronchitis.

High levels of ground-level ozone can have detrimental effects on plants and ecosystems. These effects include:

• interfering with the ability of sensitive plants to produce and store food,
making them more susceptible to certain diseases, insects, other
pollutants, competition and harsh weather;
• damaging the leaves of trees and other plants, negatively impacting the
appearance of urban vegetation, national parks, and recreation areas; and
• reducing crop yields and forest growth, potentially impacting species
diversity in ecosystems.

http://campotexas.org/pdfs/8-hour_Oz...ex_Program.pdf

If the emission equipment on your vehicle is operating correctly you will not have a problem passing the test regardless of the year of manufacture of your vehicle.

This type of pollution is not the same as greenhouse gas emissions like CO2 and therefore there is no link between the two.

And BTW the way you are using the term 'fascist' incorrectly. Emissions requirements were a collective decision that was made locally at the county level, while in a fascist state the decision would have been made by a dictator with central control.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 07-06-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
inspection testing is a waste of time and $$$. Stickers on your windows are a pretty dumb thing too. The registration sticker shoudl be small and go on the corner of the license plate like other states do. Front tags are also a waste. Texas has a bunch of wasteful and pointless things when it comes to driving.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,774 times
Update for the new reader, shops that are using other vehicles to make yours pass the inspection are now being shotdown. I have a 1988, 1995, and a 2001 vehicle that has no problem passing the emission standard of Dallas Texas. All I did was follow the maintenance manual that went along with the car. The 1988 Ford big truck now has 295,000 miles, 1995 Jeep Wrangler now has 187,000+ miles, and 2001 Ford Mustang has over 150,000 miles. All my vehicles are working properly, runs great and can pass the inspection in any shop I bring it to.
On the other hand, I have a counsin with a 2005 Honda that can't pass inspection and an Uncle with a 2007 Dodge Ram that could barely pass it's inspection. My Sister traded her 2008 Chevy Truck for a Toyota due to the Chevy will cost her 3000+ in repairs in order for the truck to pass. Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pl,okm View Post
Update for the new reader, shops that are using other vehicles to make yours pass the inspection are now being shotdown.
Executing them seems a little steep if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas