U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM

143 posts, read 276,872 times

Advertisements

I have a 1992 automobile that can't pass the NOx portion of the emissions test to get a inspection sticker. Otherwise the car is fine. I have worked overseas as a military contractor so I am never here in Dallas for that long - so it never bothered me that much.

I paid a lot of money to have the catalytic converter replaced in 2006 and it BARELY passed. Now, I am not even close to passing.

The wrinkle now is that I can't get a new registration sticker without proof of it passing the emissions test - not just the inspection sticker. This point is important because I could probably go to Sherman county or wherever they don't do emissions testing and get an inspection sticker but that wouldn't help me out with getting it registered in Dallas County.

I brought this to the dealership and they said it would cost $1050.00 and MAYBE it would pass. This is a ****ing outrage. This car is maybe worth double that - maybe. If Dallas wants to clean their air so bad they should give me book value for the car.

This is a 1992 car for damn sake. Dallas didn't give a crap about emissions in 1992. Newer cars are much, much better at handling emissions.

I know people will reply back with programs to either take old cars off the road for cash, or give assistance for repairs. The problem is that you have to be really poor to qualify and I don't.

Back in the Northeast, there were always shady mechanics who would "fix" the emissions test for you by hooking up someone else's car. Here, I really don't know anyone who would do that.

I don't feel like I should have to get rid of a perfectly good car because of this little thing when TXU gets to build all the dirty coal plants they want.

So, dear forum readers, what should I do here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,700,003 times
Waivers & Time Extensions

Locations
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/rerf/station_list_city.asp (broken link)

Wow google took me less than 3 seconds.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,685,908 times
Been there done that. I had a hard time getting my 97 Nissan pickup to pass inspection. Took it to two mechanics and they could not figure out why. Took it to a third guy and as he was removing he air filter I saw a loose wire. Connected the wire back and it passed with no problems. Did the dealership tell you what part you needed. There are shops around town that can get you taken care of or you may be able to do it yourself depending on what the problem is.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM

47 posts, read 88,020 times
Go outside the city to a small shop where you 'pay the money and get the sticker.' Wink Wink.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Hate to tell you but back in 1992 we DID have to get emmissions testing for Dallas County. They were not as stringent as they are now and there is a good reason for it. I'm GLAD they are strict about it and I wish they would get more of the polluting cars off the road. Dallas County is being FORCED by the Federal Gov't to clean up the air quality. This is just one part of the puzzle and it takes EVERYONE doing their part. I've got older cars as well and they don't have any problems passing as well as our big trucks.

Those shops that just give you a sticker are getting shut down and for good reason. They are operating illegally. Meanwhile the rest of us are paying for those that don't want to comply. Not only in taxes and stricter emmissions controls but also in bad health. As a parent of a child w/ asthma, do your part and keep your car running good so that it can pass the emmissions. How hard is that. THAT is MUCH less than it costs me in medical bills and meds for my child.

Sorry for the guilt trip but these things just irk me.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,111,246 times
700,000 inspection stickers in the area are fraudulent, so it is obvious some people know how to get around this...

Old 09-22-2008, 12:06 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
700,000 inspection stickers in the area are fraudulent, so it is obvious some people know how to get around this...
I know

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 AM

143 posts, read 276,872 times
Quote:
This is pure speculation. Someone says that 20 percent of all stickers are fake and people accept it as fact. I'm not buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Waivers & Time Extensions

Locations
City Listing (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/rerf/station_list_city.asp - broken link)

Wow google took me less than 3 seconds.
I told you, these are for poor people. I'm not poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Been there done that. I had a hard time getting my 97 Nissan pickup to pass inspection. Took it to two mechanics and they could not figure out why. Took it to a third guy and as he was removing he air filter I saw a loose wire. Connected the wire back and it passed with no problems. Did the dealership tell you what part you needed. There are shops around town that can get you taken care of or you may be able to do it yourself depending on what the problem is.
This is really the crux of the problem. Mechanics don't really know how to fix these. It's like, "Let's spend a ton of money and replace a bunch of stuff and maybe that will help".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronyoung777 View Post
Go outside the city to a small shop where you 'pay the money and get the sticker.' Wink Wink.
As I said earlier, I don’t need the sticker – I need the printout that says it passed the emissions test.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,685,908 times
Quote:

I believe it because you have to look at the number of folks without insurance. For many folks insurance is a luxury item and taking the chance of getting into a accident or getting caught with a fake sticker is a chance they are willing to take.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

779 posts, read 1,466,921 times
I find it interesting that Texas requires vehicle inspections but not California. And in Oklahoma, they stopped the inspections in I think 2000 or 2001. Now they want to bring it back in 2010 because they claim that there are a lot of unsafe cars on the roads. But anyways I hope you are able to figure out the problem and pass the test next time in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas