Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,373,273 times

Advertisements

Dallas has a different water supply than Plano and Richardson. There's probably somewhere to find out the different sources of water and who gets what. Dallas water doesn't get that algaa bloom thing - I mean, that I have ever noticed. The water near Lake Texoma is very soft and gross tasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Sorry, I don't understand. I actually owned one and was thrilled with it. Are you saying they've changed the product?
I've serviced many of the older ones but yes, they don't have their old brass control valves anymore, or make parts for them. They now use a modified Fleck 5600 or Proflo with timers of their own deign; very proprietary and not industry standard.

Their softeners etc. are way overpriced and so is the dealers' service call charges and there are many many complaints from owners. They have been on many investigative TV shows because of their questionable dealings. So beware and do a lot of research before signing up with them.

Anyone wanting to know about their water's hardness content can get a home test kit or go to the water company's web site and find their Water Quality Report, and find hardness or total hardness on it. Any water with more than 3-4 gpg (grains per gallon) is hard. You'll spend more money to live with it than a fair priced water softener would cost. Water companies say their hardness content is just fine with up to 150 mg/l (about 9 gpg), thank you, don't be late with your payment. No industry or business agrees with them, or many homeowners, but that is their position.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM

200 posts, read 545,917 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
I've serviced many of the older ones but yes, they don't have their old brass control valves anymore, or make parts for them. They now use a modified Fleck 5600 or Proflo with timers of their own deign; very proprietary and not industry standard.

Their softeners etc. are way overpriced and so is the dealers' service call charges and there are many many complaints from owners. They have been on many investigative TV shows because of their questionable dealings. So beware and do a lot of research before signing up with them.
Thanks for the great info. We just had a Rainsoft sales came in and he was kind of pushy. Then I did some research based on your information and found the following link:
Taking Action Investigation: High-Pressure Sales Tactics - WHNT (http://www.whnt.com/whnt-takingactioninvestigation-9427865,0,5563820.story?page=2 - broken link)
It's amazing that the sales tactics and even the wordings are almost identical...
I'm leaning toward Pelican PSE1800 Whole House Water Filter and Softner, any one has experience with this product? Thanks,

Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM

436 posts, read 1,608,000 times
we lived in collin county for years and never had a water softener. it's all what you are used to.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,413,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaina75 View Post
Hi All - We are moving down from an area of Chicago where a water softener is a MUST or everything will be coated in white film within a week.

Can anyone comment on the water in Collin County...specifically McKinney if possible. I hear a filtration system is recommended, but the builder said softeners are not common. True?

Thanks!
I'm in Dallas County and I've never had an issue. When we go to visit the inlaws in central Missouri it's a different story. I swear their water makes my skin itch. My mother-in-law says they have hard water.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm in Dallas County and I've never had an issue. When we go to visit the inlaws in central Missouri it's a different story. I swear their water makes my skin itch. My mother-in-law says they have hard water.
We live in Plano so the water source may be different.
However, I have decided to buy a water tester(usually 10-15 bucks) to do a hardness test. The Rainsoft sales tactic is very very bad. The sales guy came with a lot of potions and tubes, and did exactly the same test with the same result as described in the link I provided above.
Quote: "So, about 12 drops turned it that bright blue, indicating you have about 12 grains of hardness," Embrey said as she showed her the test tube. "Now if you look at the chart, anything over 10 and a half is classified as very hard water."
Then the sales started saying the the water in Texas is all recycled water which were purified from the dirty water we dumped into the sewer and "your health would be at risk if you don't buy a water softner". Almost exactly the same lines from the TV investigation.
Yet the owner of Rainsoft claimed that the sales are not commiting fraud and are only following the training they were given. Now I have 0 trust in this company even though some people had good experiences with their products.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,413,868 times
yjc, that sounds really fishy to me, too.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM

The Pelican and all other "no salt" things are not water softeners. They do not remove hardness, they are supposed to make water act as if it is softened, any they do not do a good job at that. I know because I bought one to test them.

Water with 10 gpg hardness is very hard water and over that is extreme hardness. The average hardness in the US is about 10-15 gpg and many locations in TX it is higher than that. So check the water company's Water Quality Report and use the highest figure or if you have your own well, get a test kit and test your water or have it tested by someone.

Water over 3-4 gpg of hardness causes many unseen/hidden problems with water using appliances, fixtures, anything washed in it, etc. etc. So the feel or taste or how it suds is not a good test.

Last edited by Gary Slusser; 03-14-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Water over 3-4 gpg of hardness causes many unseen/hidden problems with water using appliances, fixtures, anything washed in it, etc. etc. So the feel or taste or how it suds is not a good test.
I bought a water tester kit and found out my water is indeed "soft water"(about 3-4 gpg). The Rainsoft sales told us we have "about 12 grains of hardness" and "It's off the charts hard." Buyers beware. Also he kept trying to talk us out of meeting another vender(Culligan) by attacking them, by "reducing his price", and by saying "Rainsoft is endorsed by Home Depot". Indeed, when we went to Home Depot to buy the test kit, they tried to refer us to Rainsoft, too!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM

With 3-4 gpg of hardness, you do not have soft water. Well unless you listen to the water companies that will usually tell you that your water is fine until you have 150-180 mg/l, which they consider hard but is 8.77 to 10.5 gpg.

No industry agrees with them and many will have to have water that is no more than say 2-5 mg/l; a gpg is 17.1 mg/l.

And your hardness could be fluctuating, especially if you have city water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas