U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,718,700 times
I've lived in Richardson for 24 years. Richardson has some of the most strict laws and rules about "trash" and neighborhoods looking nice. You can't even park a trailor, RV, or boat in front of your house in order to keep the streets looking nice. I can't remember the last time I saw any graffeti in the area.

True, parts of Richardson feed to Plano schools, but those schools are rated just as high, if not higher than the Richardson schools, especially if you're in the NE section where I am (which I call the red-headed-step-child of Richardson).

None of Richardson feeds to Dallas schools, but many parts of Dallas feed to Richardson schools like the Lake Highlands section and the Park Hill section, but both are very expensive areas... or at least higher priced than the median and averages of the actual city of Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 9,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
We just moved to Richardson from Boston. I also have a fourth grader. In addition to what PP's have said, I strongly suggest your carefully read all about the RISD (Richardson Independent School District). The school your child will attend is specifically determined by your address, w exception of kids who test out to Magnet Schools. Be aware that just because you live in Richardson does not mean you will necessarily attend a Richardson ISD school.

Having been here for about a month and doing extensive driving, I agree with PP's that rule of thumb for Richardson in further north is better. Plano is nicer than Dallas. There's not a whole lot in Dallas that one needs to reside there, plus a few extra miles of commute in Dallas is not an issue. Choose your residence according to school.
Thanks for the input. A good school is highly important. My original choice was Plano. I had done some research and I really liked what I saw, however, I had some steer me away saying it was a very wealthy city. I found apartments in my price range, so I wasn't buying the whole "it may be too high-class" to live there. I still want to check it out. I don't care too much about my commute as I'm sure I can find a job in Plano or any other city. My apartment is very important to me in terms of nice/safe neighborhood and possibly, near my daughter's school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Richardson is not a country setting at all. It's an older inner ring suburb of Dallas and you can't tell when you cross from one to the other - Dallas Richardson Dallas Richardson - it looks all the same. Have you been here before to visit?
I'm actually flying out in a couple of months with some friends and we're canvassing several locations that I'll have narrowed down prior to getting to TX. We'll spend almost a week there looking at neighborhoods, apartments, schools, and businesses to determine what has the best appeal and makes the most sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
Ditto everything FarNorthDallas said.

If you really want more of a rural country setting, you need to go further north, say north of McKinney. But that might put you beyond a convenient drive to where ever you might be working. Parts of Richardson I wouldn't want to be driving through in the evening but there are areas that are safe. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here so check back often.
I don't necessarily have to live in the country, per se, I just said I preferred it to being in a huge urbanized city. I just picture Dallas as something like Chicago or New York, a bit overwhelming, so I chose to stay in cities surrounding Dallas. I may be wrong.......that's why I'm asking all of you. I'm certainly not opposed to Dallas if I find the right place and I feel good about the neighborhood and my daughter's school.

Visiting in person will be the most impactful, I think, in making an informed choice. You just need to get the feel of a place to know if it feels like home. I have until late spring to decide where to move, so I'm researching like mad. LOL

Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I've lived in Richardson for 24 years. Richardson has some of the most strict laws and rules about "trash" and neighborhoods looking nice. You can't even park a trailor, RV, or boat in front of your house in order to keep the streets looking nice. I can't remember the last time I saw any graffeti in the area.

True, parts of Richardson feed to Plano schools, but those schools are rated just as high, if not higher than the Richardson schools, especially if you're in the NE section where I am (which I call the red-headed-step-child of Richardson).

None of Richardson feeds to Dallas schools, but many parts of Dallas feed to Richardson schools like the Lake Highlands section and the Park Hill section, but both are very expensive areas... or at least higher priced than the median and averages of the actual city of Richardson.
That's quite helpful to hear from someone who's lived in Richardson for so long. Not that the other replies weren't of value, they all were.

My friend used to live in Richardson and recommended it. Like I mentioned previously, Plano is what first attracted me, but my friend said it was quite expensive to live there. I looked at Garland, but he said it was an awful place due to crime and said that the schools weren't good. I was a little surprised, but I also heard the same from a newcomer group in the north Dallas area.

I just don't want to regret my choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Jones View Post
I saw your post that you needed information help in the Dallas area
I am a realtor born and raised in DFW with ten years of RE experience, I know the area and the local market very well. I have personally sold over 300 homes in the last 3 and a half years.
I am glad to help.
Feel free to contact me I specialize in providing the best possible service
Brent Jones
bjones@kw.com
Thanks for the info. I'm not in the market for a home yet. I'm looking for an apartment for now. It's only my daughter and I for now, but some family will be moving down later on.

I'm trying to find the best apartment complexes or townhomes and I'm putting my rent max at $1,000 per month, which is close to what I paid for my loft in WI.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,299,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb70 View Post
Thanks for the input. A good school is highly important. My original choice was Plano. ....

I just picture Dallas as something like Chicago or New York, LOL
Plano is a good choice. It's not that expensive, in fact it is a bargain basement like all of DFW.

And don't worry, Dallas is nothing like NY or CHI. It's more like Milwaukee than Chi or especially NYC.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,718,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb70 View Post
My friend used to live in Richardson and recommended it.... I looked at Garland, but he said it was an awful place due to crime and said that the schools weren't good. I was a little surprised, but I also heard the same from a newcomer group in the north Dallas area.
This is what everyone from Richardson says about Garland. It's not quite a rivalry thing, but it's hard to explain. Growing up, we're just told Garland is bad bad bad. But, in actuality, they have done a lot to clean up their image and most of their schools are rated really well. Sachse and Rowlett are considered Garland school district and most of those schools are less than 5 years old.

Garland as a whole, has shady areas like any other "older" area of a city, but they also have Firewheel Golf course with hundreds of newer homes in very nice areas, but if you're going to look into Garland, I would recommend the northern sections as close to George Bush (190) as possible as those are the newer, nicer, greener areas.

But, personally, just from long time stigma, I would never live in Garland, but I sell houses there all the time. By best friend who lived and grew up in Richardson, now lives in Garland and teaches 5th grade at one of their gifted and talented magnet schools.

It's all personal preference. Richardson, overall, is an "older" city compared to Plano. The affordable newer area of Richardson is in Collin County with the lower taxes and Plano schools, so you might not need to even look at Richardson schools...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM

415 posts, read 1,145,843 times
Where in WI do you live now?

Dallas is closer to Chicago than Milwaukee. Same sprawl, bad traffic, and shopping opportunities. If not for the snow and rudeness, it would be hard to tell them apart. Milwaukee is similar to Tulsa.

One of the things I noted about Dallas when I first moved here was how intermixed good and bad areas were. In most of the other places I've lived, it was a little more clear what the 'bad' parts of town are. Here, not so much. You should be able to find reasonable housing wherever you look, in decent neighborhoods. Criminals know how to drive, so no area is 'safe' but there are some places I'd rather live than others.

You should be able to look at some apartment prices online. I'd give Plano a shot, if you thought you might like the area.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,411 times
Default moving from Wisconsin

We too are looking at moving from Wisconsin to Texas. Possibly the fort worth area. We are used to living in an area where I feel completely safe and no one really locks their doors. Are there areas like this in the Fort Worth area and where are they? Also any school recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Plano is a good choice. It's not that expensive, in fact it is a bargain basement like all of DFW.
Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, Plano was my first choice. I just heard wonderful things about Plano and I've seen listings for rental homes and apartments that were quite affordable and within what I'm willing to spend. I'm forcing myself on a strict budget with the economy the way it is and I will not deviate from it.

Plano is still very much an option.
And don't worry, Dallas is nothing like NY or CHI. It's more like Milwaukee than Chi or especially NYC.
I've seen some very nice properties in Dallas, although, I'd like to stick to the eastern side of Dallas, closest to Richardson. I just assumed Dallas was very much overpopulated like Milwaukee. I want less crowding and more of a distance between houses, literally.

Milwaukee sucks as I've lived here all my life and I would NEVER live in Chicago. Both cities are far too crowded. Milwaukee has 97 square miles with a population of over 600K people. That's a lot compared to Richardson with 27 square miles and just over a 100K population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This is what everyone from Richardson says about Garland. It's not quite a rivalry thing, but it's hard to explain. Growing up, we're just told Garland is bad bad bad. But, in actuality, they have done a lot to clean up their image and most of their schools are rated really well. Sachse and Rowlett are considered Garland school district and most of those schools are less than 5 years old.

Garland as a whole, has shady areas like any other "older" area of a city, but they also have Firewheel Golf course with hundreds of newer homes in very nice areas, but if you're going to look into Garland, I would recommend the northern sections as close to George Bush (190) as possible as those are the newer, nicer, greener areas.

But, personally, just from long time stigma, I would never live in Garland, but I sell houses there all the time. By best friend who lived and grew up in Richardson, now lives in Garland and teaches 5th grade at one of their gifted and talented magnet schools.

It's all personal preference. Richardson, overall, is an "older" city compared to Plano. The affordable newer area of Richardson is in Collin County with the lower taxes and Plano schools, so you might not need to even look at Richardson schools...
Yeah, I've gotten the same gist from others since my original post. I know people in Garland now and they told me the same thing. I'm seriously considering Rowlett as I love being near a body of water. I've lived all my life right next to Lake Michigan, so Rowlett being on Lake Ray Hubbard is ideal. I've seen some wonderful properties for rent there. Honestly, anywhere in the vicinity of Richardson is fine with me as long as I know the neighborhood is good and the schools are ranked highly on the TAKS system. It's important to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Where in WI do you live now?

Dallas is closer to Chicago than Milwaukee. Same sprawl, bad traffic, and shopping opportunities. If not for the snow and rudeness, it would be hard to tell them apart. Milwaukee is similar to Tulsa.

One of the things I noted about Dallas when I first moved here was how intermixed good and bad areas were. In most of the other places I've lived, it was a little more clear what the 'bad' parts of town are. Here, not so much. You should be able to find reasonable housing wherever you look, in decent neighborhoods. Criminals know how to drive, so no area is 'safe' but there are some places I'd rather live than others.

You should be able to look at some apartment prices online. I'd give Plano a shot, if you thought you might like the area.
I live in Milwaukee, right on Lake Michigan practically. LOL on the comparison of Dallas and Chicago! Too funny. I tend to agree from what I've read about Dallas and what I know about being in Chicago at least 100 times. My parents almost moved there. We used to go there every flipping weekend when I was a kid. I never liked it. I always thought it was overwhelming and too crowded. I just like less populated and more quiet cities. Heck, I'm more into the country, if you really want to know.

That's scary how the good/bad areas are hard to tell apart. In Milwaukee, it's easy to tell where the good/bad areas are and to avoid them. I have a 9-year old to think about and safety is very important for both of us especially being newcomers and all. I don't want to make the mistake of renting in the wrong area and regretting it.

I'm planning on flying down in April to check things out. I have about a week during spring break, so I hope I can get a good feel for the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylori View Post
We too are looking at moving from Wisconsin to Texas. Possibly the fort worth area. We are used to living in an area where I feel completely safe and no one really locks their doors. Are there areas like this in the Fort Worth area and where are they? Also any school recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!!
I wish I had done research on Ft. Worth, but my primary focus has been on the eastern side of Dallas and cities surrounding Richardson, as well as Richardson itself.

I wish you luck on your move, though.

Thank you to everyone for your input and detailed information. It's much appreciated as I'm so close to moving now. I've literally only been waiting for a job offer (I know, easier said than done these days) and I'm ready to go.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,015,541 times
I think you have been given a lot of misinformation about Dallas, Richardson, Plano and Garland (not by us). You will see when you get here.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 60,448 times
What about spiders? I am also from WI. and considering moving as well. Heard that you have alot of spiders....kind of freaks me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas