Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
cue cue started this thread

20 posts, read 65,444 times

Advertisements

Ok so I know these two are in completely different areas, but we like the historic areas of both. I know Waxahachie is much smaller, but given time it will probably grow too so I can't take the size of the city into consideration. Right now I'm more concerned with crime, schools and a sense of community. In both areas we want to live in the more historic neighborhoods. If you live in either of these areas or know alot about them please give me your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Where are you going to be working?
I have been to Waxahachie many times and it is a charming town. It is different from McKinney b/c McKinney is in such close proximity to many larger areas that offer many types of employment (Denton, Sherman, Dallas, Plano, Frisco, etc)
Waxahachie is very pretty but McKinney offers SO many conveniences. So it depends on where you will be working and/or what type of field you are in.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Waxahachie has a lot less crime. Parts of McKinney are REALLY rough...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 PM

68 posts, read 233,289 times
About 5 years ago, I taught at Caldwell Elem. in the historic part of McKinney. At that time, some parents who owned the nicer historic homes would send kids to Caldwell and some would send to private school. Over the past few years, the school rating has gotten better and I think more neighborhood kids are going to Caldwell. I love the historic homes, but you need to undertand that the homes that are not renovated are rented out to lower income families. Most of these families are great hard working people, but some are not. The square in McKinney is very upscale and close to these beautiful older homes, however the government apartments and county jail are close by. I wouldn't let it bother me too much, but some people in McKinney have a stigma about this. D Magazine said a few months ago that property values are going down in Waxahachie. I don't know why, but I thought I'd mention. There are some small towns in Collin Co. close to McKinney like: Melissa, Anna and Farmersville that have nice squares and historic homes too! Blessings, Amy

Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
cue cue started this thread

20 posts, read 65,444 times
My husband travels for work and I say at home, so commute times won't factor into our decision. And when he does work in state he will be traveling all over the DFW area. SO anyone have an opinion on the other suggestions anna, melissa, or Farmersville??? Were really just looking for a different type of lifestyle. We really just want to be apart of a community where are kids can play outside with friends and have neighbors that have a sense of pride for where they live!!!!!!!!!!! My husband works with a guy from waxahachie, and he loves it...... but i've read that they have alot of crime there?????

Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
If you like the architecture of historic homes such as Craftsman, Prairie Style, Victorian etc... and from what you describe as a neighborhood you are looking for: Let me suggest Tucker Hill in McKinney. The developper Southern Land is doing a wonderful job at trying to achieve a true sense of community. It is a masterplanned community with several parks and pools. Concerts in the square, etc.

The school district is Prosper ISD... so far seems to be one of the best around (still growing).

There are 4 builders in the community. Who knows they may add more if there is is interest from others but they would have to adhere to the same architectural style in place.

Naima

Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
If your car breaks down on the way to Dallas would you rather be stranded in Plano/Richardson or in South Dallas? Hint: only one of these locations has bulletproof glass on fastfood drivethroughs.

Of course, if you're not driving to Dallas frequently maybe that's not part of the equation.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I can't imagine Waxahachie having a lot of crime... Ellis County isn't known for being dangerous! But do check the actual stats, not just people's opinions. Personally, I love Waxahachie and if I didn't work in Fort Worth and need a shorter commute, I'd live there!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
I wouldn't bother even driving out to Anna to check it out. There is almost nothing downtown, not really a square. Until about 4 yrs ago it was just several hundred people in mostly old houses (not historic, just old). Now it's 5000 people in cookie cutter houses. The original population resent the new development, the new population all commute to the city and rarely see each other. The developers/builders have all pulled out and left town. There are a number of foreclosures there and many others for sale (the newer houses). The quality of the school is marginal....even if you dont' have kids that affects the value of your home. There is a dollar store and a sonic and a couple of pizza places. They just recently got a grocery store (against the wishes of the city fathers) which at least makes it more liveable. But it's not the 'charming, historic' town you seem to be looking for.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems these two town square areas would not be where you see kids playing outside.

My impression of the McKinney square area is that it's a destination shopping spot. The courthouse isn't down there anymore, I don't think. I don't know anything about Waxahachie's but I have friends who live down there and they never mention the square. I have heard kids hang out at Southlake's town center (which is all new, not historical, but very nice) but it's to the point where it's a problem.

You can get a community feel in lots of places that don't have town squares. There are historical districts where there aren't town squares - Swiss Ave in Dallas for instance. And the small towns with one high school usually have community feeling due to the high school football team - Celina, for instance. And kids play outside in lots and lots and lots of neighborhoods all over the place.

I hope you find exactly what you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas