Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 PM

29 posts, read 139,606 times

Advertisements

Hey There -

We moved to dallas in July and have been staying with family in Mansfield. I recently got a job in downtown dallas and we are looking to buy a house in the 250 - 300k range. We have a 15 month old son. We come from LA and miss views and hills - any recommendations of scenic towns (not overly conservative) that would be a reasonable commute to downtown and have good schools?

Thanks so much!
Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
I think that Cedar Hill has some of the best scenery in the Dallas area. It is very hilly and sits next to a large Lake. It looks more like Austin than suburban Dallas. Don't know anything about how conservative or liberal it is.

Are you open to city living as opposed to suburbs? Inside Dallas proper there are several close-in neighborhoods that offer beautiful scenery, close proximity to downtown, older homes with tons of character and are predominately moderate to liberal. Kessler Park & Stevens Park in N. Oak Cliff as well as Hollywood Hts. & Santa Monica over in East Dallas might appeal to you. Homes in these 'hoods will most likely start in the upper $200's. Just a thought.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM

29 posts, read 139,606 times
Thank you. We've been looking in Cedar Hill actually. There are some beautiful homes in Lake Ridge on the hill with views of the water and loads of green grass and trees around. The middle and high school in the area isn't so hot, but the elementary school seems to rank just fine. However, we've noticed that South Dallas is looked down on here. What's that about? We don't get it.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,507 times
In N. Arlington.

Check out West Randol Mill, Live Oak/Pin Oak adjacent to Interlochen neighborhood immediately south of I-30 (and Green Oaks Blvd. NE-bound from there, all the way to the east side of Collins).

(Far northeastern Ft. Worth abutting the above, also maybe.)

Last edited by ctrres; 10-12-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Well in Irving... Between Valley Ranch and Las Colinas (AKA The hills in Spanish)
there is are few hills, one in particular by the Walmart...
You can see for miles into the city, I always thought it looked nice...
I would post a picture if i had one.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytomata View Post
However, we've noticed that South Dallas is looked down on here. What's that about? We don't get it.
It's history... South Dallas used to be the part of town for the poorer folks and was known for high crime and horrible schools. Many native Dallasites have never even been to Oak Cliff because they have heard too many stories about crime, etc. YMMV... It is true that South Dallas does not have the shopping, restaurants, malls, etc. that other parts of DFW have.

Cedar Hill is gorgeous, but you'd have to do homeschooling or private.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Quote:
However, we've noticed that South Dallas is looked down on here. What's that about? We don't get it.
While it is true that the neighborhood in the City of Dallas that is called "South Dallas" has a negative reputation as well as parts of Oak Cliff, there is a big difference between those places and the suburbs located "south of Dallas" such as Cedar Hill. You'd be fine there.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
My gf's mom lives in Cedar Hill & I visit there all the time. It's predominately made up of middle income Blacks, but there are other races living there too. I'm white & my gf is Asian, I've never once felt uncomfortable at all & neither has she.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Thank you. We've been looking in Cedar Hill actually. There are some beautiful homes in Lake Ridge on the hill with views of the water and loads of green grass and trees around. The middle and high school in the area isn't so hot, but the elementary school seems to rank just fine. However, we've noticed that South Dallas is looked down on here. What's that about? We don't get it.
Old prejudices die hard. There is too much ignorance out there and too many people who are complicit in perpetuating it. You have to explore. Much of the southern half of Dallas is not very desirable by most standards. But, that doesn't mean all of it is that way. Unfortunately, too many people paint the area with very broad brush strokes.

I recommend that you check out North Oak Cliff. It has some of the most beautiful topography and lots of old, established neighborhoods with charm and character. In particular you should drive through Kessler Park and Stevens Park (Colorado Blvd. cuts right through both areas). Those are the most expensive areas in the southern half of the city and plenty of people who sneer at Oak Cliff could never afford to live there. Considering that a starter home around KP or SP is going to be upwards of $250k and there are lots of $1m+ homes over there, the negative stereotypes are laughable. Other upscale neighborhoods that are well worth checking out are Winnetka Hts. Historic District and Wynnewood North.

None of these areas offer the glitz and superficiality found in certain other parts of Dallas and that's the way the residents like it. Oak Cliff is the antithesis of Uptown and North Dallas. While you're over there, have lunch or dinner at one of the many upscale, non-chain restaurants in or near the Bishop Arts District. Visit the cool shops and galleries. Meet people who actually live in the area and ask their opinions about Oak Cliff. These are the people who know best what it is like. Even if you don't end up living there, it's nice to know what your options are.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I second that. We have some rolling hills here in Lakewood proper and Hollywood Heights, but North Oak Cliff is hillier. Some of our hills here are public parks - T.P./Woodrow Hill, Boy Scout Hill, Winfrey Point at White Rock Lake - Flag Pole Hill is just north - and the hills at Tenison Golf Course(s) - wonderful views from there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas