Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM

149 posts, read 567,884 times

Advertisements

What about renting a house? I know what you mean about not wanting to live in an apartment. We lived in apartments all through my hubbies medical school training and by residency I snapped. I was ready for a house! So we rented and got the big dog, baby and backyard to keep me company while he was working so many hours The plus side was if something fell apart my husband wasn't spending his precious off hours fixing things up.
Irving, Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, Coppell are all areas within about a 20-30 minute drive and might have some great rentals in safe neighborhoods. Not sure what is closer in to the med school though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
I have friends who rented a house in the small pocket between Cedar Springs and Maple off King Rd - bordered by the tollroad. They were here for a few years while the husband was doing his residency at Parkland. They had two small kids and a baby on the way. They liked where they lived.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
The 150K to 180k will certainly open up some areas for you and will hold your commute down. You might look in the Claremont neighborhood off of Ferguson in zip 75228. There are some very nice ranch homes in there.

Also, in Oak Cliff you will have some options. 160k or so can get you a smaller home in Winnetka Heights. Probably a 2/2 in the 1300 sq ft range that is move in ready. You might be able to find something for less but it will need a considerable amount of work.

Elmwood (75224) in Oak Cliff is another option that may fit your budget. Since you mention some of the historic districts you might really like Hampton Hills in 75208. The architecture is real similar to the pre-mcmansion M Streets. Mainly tudors built between 1930 and 1945.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

38 posts, read 181,838 times
A previous poster recommended the Lake Highlands area and I have to agree. There are strong neighborhood groups, mom groups and playgroups all over Lake Highlands.
I searched the ebby real estate webpage and did find a home for 199K in the Moss Haven Elementary area (which seems to be very popular) there was one for lease too. You might be able to negotiate the price. If you can't buy, I would highly suggest leasing in a family oriented neighborhood, especially if your husband will be at work most of the time.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
Also, in Oak Cliff you will have some options. 160k or so can get you a smaller home in Winnetka Heights. Probably a 2/2 in the 1300 sq ft range that is move in ready. You might be able to find something for less but it will need a considerable amount of work.

Elmwood (75224) in Oak Cliff is another option that may fit your budget. Since you mention some of the historic districts you might really like Hampton Hills in 75208. The architecture is real similar to the pre-mcmansion M Streets. Mainly tudors built between 1930 and 1945.
I agree with you about N. Oak Cliff neighborhoods. The areas that you mention are an easy 15 minute commute to the hospital district. There is plenty of older, high quality housing in Elmwood, Hampton Hills, Ravinia and possibly even Kessler Plaza or Stevens Park Village. All these areas will have smallish houses, but they have great character and are in safe areas. There's probably a greater chance for the values to appreciate in these neighborhoods than in some of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas