Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Differences of Dallas, Texas from western and Eastern Europe, Europeans advice needed, no European style, more conservative, music, clubs, warm southern weather, racial tension, immigration

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
How do you explain the racial tension and riots that have occurred in warm-weather areas such as Los Angeles or Miami that happened in the past? Of course I know about immigration and whatnot, but was it the people relocating there from colder climates (didn't LA used to be known as "Iowa-by-the-sea" b/c of all the midwestern immigrants)?
Before I explain a solution, what exactly is the problem? Yes, people riot, but they do it for other reasons than the weather.

Quote:
And wouldn't income be a factor in the fundamental differences between wealthy areas such as Malibu or Santa Monica versus the military influenced, more conservative San Diego area?
Cold weather areas in coastal California, and along the Pacific coast, are predominantly left wing in their thinking, all the way to British Columbia... actually all the way to southeast Alaska. Rich or poor doesn't matter... the weather or climate, if you will, produces the same mass delusions.

Quote:
And what is your response to people who can just as easily argue that an indoor, air conditioned, auto-oriented environment can be alienating for people or that it harbors an extremely conservative environment that can create tension between races, classes, etc. (somewhat stereotypical view of Texas, but one that a lot of people seem to have)?
I don't have to treat a stereotype as if it were real. It's not evidence, just the result of ignorance.

Central to my thinking is the idea that every creature, including the human, has an ideal range of habitat. Although man can adapt to a degree to an adverse habitat such as a cold weather climate, his ability to survive and thrive is compromised. We in Texas are just more favorably adapted, and we preserve ideal weather conditions in our buildings and cars. And so, our housing market doesn't fall apart like California's.

In the case of Europe, you definitely have a human society that managed to only partially adapt to an adverse environment. That's why it was so inferior to the Southern world until it got lucky and discovered technology. Then, its wars and religious bigotry became that much deadlier.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Dallas sucks so much because they don't worship techno music like Turkey does, Dallas doesn't have one single palm tree, why can't Dallas be Miami, poor, poor, pitiful me because I'm here and not in Miami, and I'm miserable
Guess what? Dallas isn't Miami, many of us could care less what music they listen to in Turkey, many of us could care less what "European shades they wear in clubs", and I would be willing to bet that few, if ANY of us care about how miserable you are.

Some people are just going to be miserable no matter what, because that is their way of getting attention. Judging the number of whining posts you fart out, you'd be doing yourself and everyone else a huge favor by going back to that third world stinkhole called Miami.

Do you think that you're something special because you lived in Florida? Do you think that somehow makes you exotic and cosmopolitan? Do you think we're impressed because you lived in Florida? Here's a little secret: we're NOT. In fact, every time I see your drivel on these boards, I'm less impressed with you, and I was ALREADY unimpressed by you on a COLOSSAL scale.

No, Dallas isn't Miami. We don't want it to be, and we really don't care what they do in Miami. We don't care that you wish we did it like Miami does. What part of that do you not understand?

Last edited by tycobb2522; 10-20-2008 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
People here dont even appreciate the new age electro music from places like Amsterdam, Turkey and London. Whenever I play it, they act as if they never even heard of it, which Im sure they havent.
Um, I was born and raised here I know about Italo disco from the 80's and Electro, Electroclash and Electro House are my favorite genres of music right now. and I know many people who love this kind of music. Sorry to disprove that stereotype.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Um, I was born and raised here I know about Italo disco from the 80's and Electro, Electroclash and Electro House are my favorite genres of music right now. and I know many people who love this kind of music. Sorry to disprove that stereotype.
Not to mention he can't even articulate his ideas, as "new age" and "electro from Turkey...." are TWO DIFFERENT GENRES OF MUSIC!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:05 PM

175 posts, read 405,013 times
Quote:
for one, there is absolutely no European style in Dallas like in Miami. It sucks.

Clothing isnt very European either, and in the clubs...
Well the reason for clothing not being very European is the size of people. Dallas and most of USA is struggling with obesity and overweightness, so it is normal not to see European clothing. Actually it would be a surprise to see bunch of Euro style clothing in Dallas.

On the other hand, if you go to other cities in North America, where people tend to be leaner, in better physical shape, such as Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa (damn no city in USA comes in to mind as being lean and fit except Manhattan ) you will get to see bunch of European clothiers and Euro styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
No, Dallas isn't Miami. We don't want it to be, and we really don't care what they do in Miami. We don't care that you wish we did it like Miami does. What part of that do you not understand?
Dallas does not want to be like Miami, Dallas wants to be just like Los Angeles Has always been, but still not there yet.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:05 PM

I think we can assure the original poster that Our part of North America is not a carbon copy of Europe, although we have wealth, style, activity, interest and a dynamic culture, as you would expect in a region like ours.

Unfortunately, there will be a few people who will use a stranger's sincere questions to air their own personal grievances, and punish the people of Dallas who he considers responsible for his troubles.

If there are some others on this forum who would like to compare and contrast this region and a specific European country or region, now's your chance.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If there are some others on this forum who would like to compare and contrast this region and a specific European country or region, now's your chance.
You can not compare great (European regions) to medicore (DFW). It will not be a fair comparison

Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM

See what I mean about disgruntled individuals taking revenge against the people of Dallas by spewing insults?

On another forum where I've posted, they used to be pretty tolerant about trolls. One troll had a favorite question... "Why are American women so fat?".

Needless to say, that sort of thing was ended when their policy changed. The forum realized that trolls are human scum and don't add anything to a discussion.

Last edited by aceplace; 10-20-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
On another forum where I've posted, they used to be pretty tolerant about trolls. One troll had a favorite question... "Why are American women so fat?".

Needless to say, that sort of thing was ended when their policy changed. The forum realized that trolls are human scum and don't add anything to a discussion.
Stats do not lie!

There is a problem with obesity and weight.
And if you are denying that well than you are in denial.

Here are some facts about reality;

Obesity and Overweight: Trends: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

For those in denial, this is the website of a government agency, and the name is;
"Centers for Disease Control and Prevention"

And they talk about obesity, which is a very important issue, and you should not be in denial about that!

According to the government agency, TX has an obesity rate of 28% for the year of 2007.

That is huge!
One in 4 people in TX is obese according to the government agency. This is not a BS study, or a personal opinion, this is a study and statistic done by the US Government!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
Stats do not lie!

There is a problem with obesity and weight.
And if you are denying that well than you are in denial.

And they talk about obesity, which is a very important issue, and you should not be in denial about that!

According to the government agency, TX has an obesity rate of 28% for the year of 2007.

That is huge!
One in 4 people in TX is obese according to the government agency. This is not a BS study, or a personal opinion, this is a study and statistic done by the US Government!
yes, stats don't lie and it is true but you act like this is something unique to Texas or the US. Guess what smart guy this is a worldwide problem and is getting worse as time goes on and countries become more wealthy and developed and readily have access to food.

The US has the highest percentage of obese people at 30%, but not too far behind:

Mexico: 24%

UK: 23%

Slovakia 22%

Greece:22%

Australia: 22%

I think we have had enough of your trolling ways, move it along, don't care too much anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas