Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM

65 posts, read 234,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Krisco I think the entire no smoking ban came into play in CA due to the health risk to bar employees. At least that's what I remember the argument being, and it was a valid one since it is a fact that 2nd hand smoke has detrimental consequences to non smokers.

The fact that I had to leave the group I was with due to too much smoke in the place and go watch the end of the game elsewhere was not a win/win. I was having fun with this group but I knew I would wake up sick the next day if I continued to stay. So yes, I will not be meeting up with them again there cause that is my right to not be in a smoke filled bar.
Yeah, I see how that is a bummer. I'm sure you could work something out with your friends though if you just mentioned that the smoke bothers you. Props to ya for sticking to your convictions though

Quote:
I have friends that smoke and one in particular is very respectful of those around her. Maybe if smokers didn't have such a sense of entitlement then it wouldn't be such an issue with non smokers. If you are with friends and sitting next to someone that doesn't smoke why can't you move to the other side away from them and light up. Instead smokers have the attitude that they allow smoking in here so I am going to light up and to hell with anyone around me that doesn't smoke. So instead smoker's attitudes are well you don't have to frequent this place. Well what if a non smoker likes to frequent that place why shouldn't they.
I hear ya on this. Personally, I'm a considerate smoker and I think you'll find the majority of smokers are. If I'm with someone who does not smoke I make sure to ask them before lighting up near them. I also make sure that my cigarette butts always make it to an ash tray or garbage can rather than the ground as well. Unfortunately, people are people. There are going to be people who don't think twice about others and those who do.

I used to work in a small pizzeria back in the day before the smoking laws were passed and we allowed people to smoke inside. This one guy would come in all the time and light up a cigar while waiting for his food. The place was tiny and the whole damn restaurant would fill up with smoke in seconds. We politely asked him a few times to take it outside, but eventually we had to hang up a sign because he kept on doing it.

Quote:
And eating habits are not the same as smoking. So if I eat a big mac around you it's not going to get in your clothes, hair, have yr throat sore, eyes dry, contacts irritating and possibly at some point cause you cancer.
Yeah, I realize that... it doesn't compare exactly, but that's the kind of stuff you'll have to get used to once we get in the habit of making these laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I think "most" smokers are more considerate these days but then again, they know I don't tolerate smoking in my home, vehicle, or when I'm the recipient of the smoke from the wind blowing my my direction if we happen to be standing outside and he or she is smoking. I've never been asked if it's okay to light up, so maybe they're not as polite in my "neck of the woods."

Unfortunately, I always catch the stench of smoke from my neighbor's yard since the wind is usually blowing from the south. They don't seem to care!! Even since I had a privacy fence put up, the smoke still manages its way to my nose. I'm just kidding when I say they don't care because they shouldn't. Even smokers have rights in their own yards.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Benzene is a class A carcinogen.

2nd hand cigarette smoke is a class A carcinogen.

I don't see a difference. Both are harmful to people.
May I suggest the following experiment:

1. smoke a pack of cigarettes
2. drink a 12oz can of benzene

And then report on the difference.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:19 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post

What a ridiculous comparison. A slight difference in concentrations there, no?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post

I'm the proponent of NOT having these in public areas. They are both carcinogens and have no place in public areas where one person's pleasure is forced upon another. Your experiment seems a bit sensationalist and illogical in following my arguments posed in this thread.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times
I went to Dallas for the first time last weekend and I was hoping the bars and clubs forced smokers to go out on the patio like they do in Houston. Instead I was overwhelmed with smoke...ewwww.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
The real problem is that people have decided that a private business owner's property is public simply because anyone is invited in.

Just like when you don't like what's on TV and you change the channel, if you don't like anything about the business, head on out the door.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
The real problem is that people have decided that a private business owner's property is public simply because anyone is invited in.

Just like when you don't like what's on TV and you change the channel, if you don't like anything about the business, head on out the door.
Agreed, except when public safety is involved.

We don't tell bars which channels they can play on their TV's - if they want to show the hockey game instead of the football game, then their patrons have the right to leave to seek the sport of their choice.

By your argument, owners of a private building should not be restricted as to the number of people on a premise, the type of fire exits, fire exit signage, etc. Business owners should be able to do whatever they want - and the public should have the right to patronize their establishments or not. They should not have any sort of cleanliness requirements in their kitchens, they shouldn't have health inspectors, because people can make the choice for themselves. These are all public safety issues and are governed as such. I see smoking in the same light.

Brian

Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Krisco, it's a football group that meets there every week for the game so I can't come along and say hey let's change venues. The topic has come up about how smoky it is and the coordinator has mentioned asking the venue if the area we are in can be smoke free. Not sure how that went over.

I appreciate all smokers that do show consideration including yrself! Before I left CA I was hanging out with a good friend. She is a native of CA but hadn't seen much of my area so I took her atop this hill to take in an awesome view. (The city is Signal Hill) She lit a cigarette and when she finished she flicked it into the hillside/brush. I was in SHOCK! I asked her if she was out of her
f$%&#ng mind! California is notorious for wildfires(3 burning right now) and folks losing their homes due to them and I could not believe a native californian would have the audacity to flick a cigarette onto the hillside! She had the nerve to look at me like "what's the big deal"?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Agreed, except when public safety is involved.

We don't tell bars which channels they can play on their TV's - if they want to show the hockey game instead of the football game, then their patrons have the right to leave to seek the sport of their choice.

By your argument, owners of a private building should not be restricted as to the number of people on a premise, the type of fire exits, fire exit signage, etc. Business owners should be able to do whatever they want - and the public should have the right to patronize their establishments or not. They should not have any sort of cleanliness requirements in their kitchens, they shouldn't have health inspectors, because people can make the choice for themselves. These are all public safety issues and are governed as such. I see smoking in the same light.

Brian

I wanted to rep you but I have to spread the love around . But your arguments are on point and you back them up with factual information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas