Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
By your argument, owners of a private building should not be restricted as to the number of people on a premise, the type of fire exits, fire exit signage, etc. Business owners should be able to do whatever they want - and the public should have the right to patronize their establishments or not. They should not have any sort of cleanliness requirements in their kitchens, they shouldn't have health inspectors, because people can make the choice for themselves. These are all public safety issues and are governed as such. I see smoking in the same light.
Yes... that is my argument. How many insurance companies are going to provide a policy to a business who sets no limits on the number of people they will allow, or doesn't have proper saftey equipment or exits?

Regarding food inspections, I honestly wish the government would get out of the business and let private certification labs step in. I've been in some nasty nasty kitchens that have never failed inspections. You don't even need to know people in the business, watch Kitchen Nightmares and you'll see the filth that is allowed. Yet I know that when I buy a Kosher (OU) product, it was made in a clean environment.

People should be able to make these choices for themselves. The only thing I would mandate would be the posting of the information such as fire/safety inspection certificates from the insurance company or underwriter, and kitchen inspection from a third party with the score, and post if smoking is or is not allowed on the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Hey, I can respect your opinion. I just think you're wrong.

Speaking of insurance companies... they are beginning to charge higher rates for smokers. I've heard of people saying that is unfair. I think insurance companies should be able to charge higher rates if you're over weight, smoke or have other bad health habits. They have statistical data to show why these habits increase risk, so they SHOULD be able to charge more.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Hey, I can respect your opinion. I just think you're wrong.
That's cool... cuz I know that I'm right

Quote:
Speaking of insurance companies... they are beginning to charge higher rates for smokers. I've heard of people saying that is unfair. I think insurance companies should be able to charge higher rates if you're over weight, smoke or have other bad health habits. They have statistical data to show why these habits increase risk, so they SHOULD be able to charge more.
It's absolutely fair... I'm not a slim guy by any means and I wouldn't have a problem in the world with having to pay extra for health and life insurance because of it. I've made choices... no one put that extra slice of pizza in my mouth for me!

I think people who don't wear helmets while riding a motorcycle should have higher insurance rates, and I think that if you don't wear one and get in a collision, you waive your right to damages no matter who is at fault. But I still think all grown ups should be able to make the decision on wearing a helmet. But now I'm getting off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas