U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 AM

4,175 posts, read 5,594,428 times

Advertisements

I have uses AHS and have mixed experience with them. A friend suggested OneGuard but I do not know much about them. Any ideas about OneGuard or alternate companies that could be good? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM

636 posts, read 1,626,544 times
Since you asked about alternate companies, I'm going to be the broken record and remind EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION.

I used AHS in the past, and was satisfied. NHP is such a scam that my credit card company refunded the full amount over a year after purchase. If a credit card company will refund after their policy allows them to, you KNOW it's a scam.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Since you asked about alternate companies, I'm going to be the broken record and remind EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION.

I used AHS in the past, and was satisfied. NHP is such a scam that my credit card company refunded the full amount over a year after purchase. If a credit card company will refund after their policy allows them to, you KNOW it's a scam.
Thanks for the heads up on National. I have had mixed experience with AHS.

In theory, OnGuard seems to be good (per their website, they cover a lot) and any feedback based on first-hand experience would be appreciated. I could not find a neutral site that compares various warranty companies.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM

4,121 posts, read 12,663,864 times
Check out Home Warranty of America...

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Check out Home Warranty of America...
Thanks. I checked their site - sounds they also have reasonable coverage.
Actually, most warranty companies have similar rates - it is the ratings I do not know about. Here is a site I came across:
Home Warranty Reviews Home Warranty Provider Reviews and Ratings

Here, HWA is rated 1.6 (184 ratings), AHS is 1.6 (774 ratings) - all on a 1-5 scale. I suspect people tend to provide more feedback when things did not go well - so the numbers above are scewed towards the low side.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 AM

6,714 posts, read 15,505,163 times
I'm not going to say which companies to use, as I won't even give an "opinion" to my clients anymore since I had a bad experience, but I will say STAY AWAY FROM NATIONS HOME WARRANTY as well. We sued, we won, they have lost a lot of money as I had a minimum of 10-12 clients a year buy their warranties for several years...

Stupid warranty companies screwing over the real estate community is not good for business when they want us to refer them.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM

636 posts, read 1,626,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Thanks. I checked their site - sounds they also have reasonable coverage.
Actually, most warranty companies have similar rates - it is the ratings I do not know about. Here is a site I came across:
Home Warranty Reviews Home Warranty Provider Reviews and Ratings

Here, HWA is rated 1.6 (184 ratings), AHS is 1.6 (774 ratings) - all on a 1-5 scale. I suspect people tend to provide more feedback when things did not go well - so the numbers above are scewed towards the low side.
You are definitely right about the numbers being skewed negatively. With that said, I'd never been able to find a good comparison site, and pretty much stopped looking when I decided to go without home warranty altogether. I will say that scam.com has lots of horror stories you can read about the various companies.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,437 times
Default Home Warranty ratings/reviews

You should contact TREC and real estate agents to get recommendations from them.

Be warned...there are several companies out there who offer a 'kick back' to realtors for a referral. So, be sure to get at least 3-5 companies and the local rep's phone number.

A home warranty is only as good as the contractors (repair people) they send their claim work to.

When you are researching which companies to go with, keep these things in mind:

how long has the company been in business?
how long have they been in Texas? - is their corp office local?
how do they pay their contractors?
Pre-existing is the number one reason claims are denied...how is this handled?

READ the contract!!! Be sure to know up front what is covered, what is not! Most companies have copies of their contract online.

The only truly local companies in North Texas are:

Everything Residential Home Warranty
Nations Residential
Southwest Home Warranty

Hope this helps!!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 34,667 times
I can't believe not many people have replied to this thread. I'm assuming a lot of people are buying or have already bought homes recently.
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a good home warranty company?
Going with a local home warranty company seems like a good idea.
Does anyone have any experience with the company called Sensible Home Warranty?

Thanks for all your input!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 60,013 times
AHS has worked out great for us. Unfortunately/fortunuately, I have had to call them out 6 times in as many months on our new to us house (15 years old). So far they have replaced with no pushback:

Replaced Garage door spring = $250
Replaced heating elements (ignitor) in each of our 2 gas furnaces = $250ea
Replaced Compressor in one of our AC units = $900
Repaired flapper door and damper door in our refrigerator = $190
Fixed poorly functioning hot water heater = $150

Each time all we have been out is the $60 copay. So far we are way ahead of the game. That said, our house is right at 15 years old which means that a lot of this kind of stuff is towards the end of it's usefull life. The previous owners paid in year after year and, based on the receipts they left us, didn't see much ROI. We lucked out, if you can call it that, on the timing. I was worried that they would push back on a lot of stuff, but they have been great so far (knocks on wood). We will definitely renew our contract with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas