Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for a newer neighborhood without alley entrances, I'd like to suggest Murphy. Murphy has no alleys and a few years ago started requiring side entry garages. (With 3 and 4 car garages there is usually a 1 car that faces front but it's generally set back further due to the two car garage entrance.

We also have many port cochere homes where you do enter thru the front but have a somewhat more private garage/drive area. Especially if you add a wrought iron gate.

Also most of the lots in Murphy are at least a quarter acre - which may seem small compared to other parts of the country, but are considered larger lots around here.

www.murphytx.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
If you are looking for a newer neighborhood without alley entrances, I'd like to suggest Murphy. Murphy has no alleys and a few years ago started requiring side entry garages. (With 3 and 4 car garages there is usually a 1 car that faces front but it's generally set back further due to the two car garage entrance.

We also have many port cochere homes where you do enter thru the front but have a somewhat more private garage/drive area. Especially if you add a wrought iron gate.

Also most of the lots in Murphy are at least a quarter acre - which may seem small compared to other parts of the country, but are considered larger lots around here.

www.murphytx.org

The drive to SMU would take at least a couple hours, one way, from there.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Seriously? What route are you taking? You know you don't have to drive thru Ft Worth to get there, right? Heck I can get to TCU in less than two hours.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Seriously? What route are you taking? You know you don't have to drive thru Ft Worth to get there, right? Heck I can get to TCU in less than two hours.

Not sure what TCU has to do with it, that in Cowtown.

2 hours is a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. Pretty much any route into almost-downtown Dallas will be jammed going down in the morning and coming home at night.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,667 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

If you'll bother to spend a little time actually becoming familiar with what you're talking about before you spout off, you'll see that almost without exception, my negative posts are in response to negative comments. You know, say someone from Seattle, or Chicago, or California trashing a place because it isn't like Seattle, or Chicago, or California.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: orphaned - comments referred to have been removed

Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
I have a machine gun nest built above my garage!!!

how's that for friendly???
How ironic; I got one of those instead of the bonus room! And now the secret's out about why we only have "six foot tall trees" in Plano. Gives us a wider field of fire.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times

Regarding the Murphy question - Murphy to SMU in rush hour would take roughly an hour - certainly not two.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Let's stick to discussing the topic at hand... NOT each other, folks!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
In response to the original question re: rear/alley entry vs. front entry - I live in Flower Mound. We've had both rear/alley and front entry homes and our experience in home #1 (rear/alley) was that we didn't get to know our neighbors nearly as well and we rarely got a knock on our door. In house #2 (front entry) we immediately got to know our neighbors while we were driving past their houses and into our driveway, getting out of the car, yelling hello! across the street, striking up a conversation, etc. I do agree that as the neighborhood ages (less small children and more drivers in each family), there are more cars on the street (overflow from garages) which I don't like the look of, but I'd rather live in a cohesive neighborhood where neighbors socialize and help each other out than one where neighbors don't know each other as well. Just my opinion. We'd never have an alley entry again! Another point regarding crime - since I've lived in the DFW area, there have been a couple of rashes of alley robberies - the people pull into their garage and before they get the door down someone is there robbing them. Granted, it happens infrequently, but you never hear of that happening on a front-entry garage.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
How about 10 minutes or less to SMU? That's why many faculty, staff and students live here.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How about 10 minutes or less to SMU? That's why many faculty, staff and students live here.

Yeah, what he said.

Lakewood is easily the most beautiful area in Dallas; I grew up on Lakewood Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas