Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,856 times

Advertisements

Lewisville ISD and Coppell ISD or parents with experience with either only....
Which district is better for special education (ADD and math LD)? I understand Coppell ISD is superior in regular academia, but I have heard rave reviews about Lewisville ISD when it comes to Spec education.

Also, does Coppell have a Leap program? Lewisville's is very good (so I've heard).

Which would you send you kids to for special services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,153 times
I worked in Spec. Ed in the Lewisville ISD for over 10 years and I never saw anything that wasn't right on target. Lewisville ISD is very "up" on what's going on in Texas Spec. Ed. programs and the school where I taught followed every single modification...and rule. I loved it there.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
My LD kid attends a private LD school - that tells you my luck with public school and LDs. I have heard good things about Lewisville's program through elementary school and not so great for middle and high school. Have not heard one way or the other for Coppell although there are students at my son's LD school who drive from Coppell (15 or so miles) to attend it.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,081 times
I know you want parent input but I had to share this...I have a neighbor that loves the special ed. dept in Lewisville for her child. She has had lots of good things to say about the parent/teacher connections and positive environment her son encounters daily. I am a teacher in a neighboring district and to hear parents talk this favorably towards a program is a plus in my eyes.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,007 times
I'm a psychologist in the Lewisville/FM area and I believe Lewisville schools do a great job with Special Education. The fact that you are researching this before moving tells me that you probably are a great advocate for your child, which every child with special needs must have! I think at all levels a parent needs to making sure modifications are being followed (even in the best of schools, sometimes teachers can lapse) and also making sure the child knows how to advocate for themselves as they get into the upper levels. It helps them to prepare for college, where they are eligible for many modifications as well, but need to know how to get them!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,420,037 times
+1 for Lewisville ISD. My wife is a teacher there, and I did my education training there. Top notch district.

Of course, if you have the money, you can always try for The Winston School at Royal Lane and the Tollroad. Pretty much the best school for kids with different learning styles in the entire United States.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,856 times
Thanks for all of your assistance. Have a wonderful night. It's good to get feedback from real people rather than finding it online.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,744 times
Lewisville spends large amounts of money defending itself from lawsuits from parents of children w/disabilities... Coppell, not so much. Freedom of Information from the TEA.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,854 times
any information on special education classes in carrollton farmers branch ?specially riverchase elementary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas