U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM

686 posts, read 3,465,690 times

Advertisements

Hi, I finish high school in may and an considering moving to Dallas to attend college and settle down. I would like to know some info about the city.

Is the city pretty clean? What areas are nice to live that are affordable? What areas should I avoid? What is the weather like? There a lot of tornadoes?

I am considering University of Dallas, UT Arlington, UNT, and UT Denton. Anyone know anything about these colleges or know anyone that went there?

Is the pay good compared to the cost of living? Is Dallas dangerous? How about Arlington, or Allen, Texas? Are they nice too?

I appreciate all responses.

Daniel True

Last edited by Daniel_T; 02-20-2007 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
1. University of Dallas - private Catholic university located in Irving near Texas Stadium. Small school, few dorms, mostly commuters.

2. UTA (University of Texas at Arlington) - hubby went there. Large university located in Arlington between Dallas and Ft Worth. Large non-native American population. Commuter school = meaning very few live in a dorm. Arlington is a LARGE city. Engineering is their strong suit. Bachelor degrees lean towards BS (Bachelor of Science) vs BA (Bachelor of Arts). Does not have a football team but a pretty good basketball and baseball team.

3. UNT (University of North Texas) - located in Denton - I went here. Denton is MUCH smaller than Arlington. Still a commuter school but more people live on campus or in apartments near campus than UTA or other Dallas area universities. AWESOME jazz band. Great art department, education and business fields tend to dominate here. Leans more BA vs BS. Has a football team but not as strong of a following that you'll find at other large universities.

4. UT Denton - there is no such thing.

5. UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) located in Richardson. Was only a senior level 4 year school and a grad school till a few years ago. Now it is a full fledged 4 year university. Strong in the business fields along w/ engineering. Commuter school w/ VERY few dorms. No football team. Better variety of living options.

6. TWU (Texas Womans University) in Denton. You did not list this one but I'm adding it just in case it is of interest to you. I also went here when I first started and actually liked it better in hindsight over UNT. GREAT nursing school (RN, OT, PT). Strong in the education field. It is open to males and has a BEAUTIFUL campus. Commuter school but w/ plenty of dorm options.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 AM

"Is the pay good compared to the cost of living? Is Dallas dangerous? How about Arlington, or Allen, Texas? Are they nice too?"

Pay and cost of living in Denton is going to be higher than in Dallas. Apartment rent in Denton is just as high if not higher than newer apartments in Far North Dallas. Hopefully with all of the growth it is going to shed some of the college town mentality and pay will be better and rents will be more in line w/ the rest of the metroplex. No, Dallas is NOT dangerous. Like any other large city, just don't do stupid things. Most crimes are committed during times of day/night and places that most law abiding people don't go to and are against people that are known to them vs. stranger on stranger. Arlington is not that great. I know there are some on here that are going to defend it to the bitter end but it is not the safest place around. Just read the local paper and watch the news and you'll hear about more crimes being committed here than in other parts of Dallas - street races seem to plague Arlington and every month someone gets killed over there by street racers. Apartments are rundown in the majority of Arlington (saw plenty of them while hubby lived over there). Allen - this is a bedroom suburb and pretty safe but would be a BRUTAL commute to any of the schools except for UT Dallas.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the help. Don't know why I put UT Denton. I was thinking of UNT. DING!!! I want to go into journalism. Anyone know of which schools in Dallas would be the best? Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Journalism.......... of all of those I'd go w/ UNT. It is more of the artsy school.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Thnx Momof2dfw

I was talking with the childrens librarian that I work with at my public library, and she told me she got her library science degree from UNT. She says the school was great, but Denton wasn't that cool. She said it's an older town that looks dirty, and there isn't a lot going for it? I know older towns look not as nice, but is it trashed? When I was in Dallas for a few hours in 2005, we stopped in Fort Worth as well. Didn't like the downtown area too much. Is F.W. a nice place to live? There looks to be some very attractive housing at reasonable prices. maybe that's because no one wants to live there?

back to my question about weather, what is weather like in general in Dallas? Is it real hot in summer and cold in winter? I saw this thing on tv, that ranks dallas in the top ten of most tornado prone cities? Does Dallas really get that many tornadoes? Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 AM

How long ago did this person attend UNT? It is changing A LOT up in Denton. Around the loop there is SO MUCH. Back when I was there it was nothing, and I mean NOTHING. The mall, Golden Triangle, is getting a major boost and revitalized. Denton is nothing like it was even 5 years ago much less 10 or more. One thing it does have over any of the other places is that it does still feel like a college town but w/ more opportunities than most college towns as it is so close to Dallas and Ft Worth. The area around UNT is also undergoing a major change. Fry St was recently sold and all of the old places there, stores and restaurants, are having to close up and everything is being torn down. The Flying Tomato is no more as of last week . I'd recommend you checking it out before discounting it completely.

As for the weather......... OMG, it could not be more BEAUTIFUL this week. I have a job opening, cabana boy If only I had the time to sit out by the pool this week, lol. When I came in a bit ago it was in the mid 50's but drop dead wonderful outside, lots of people in shorts and the high is supposed to be near 80. Everyone that has a convertible is in it this week w/ the tops down. I'll take our few days of 100+ degree weather in the summer to have mild winters and the days like this. Some severe weather is supposed to come thru later tomorrow evening. As for tornadoes, don't worry about that. I'm a native of over 40+ years and have yet to experience a tornado firsthand nor has anyone in my family and my parents and grandparents are all from this area. The closest I've come to one is when one hit the ground about 5 miles from our house back in May 1993, Mothers Day. There is plenty of warning if the conditions are right for one.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Thnx

Wow, glad I found that out about Denton. I wanted to share that information with our childrens librarian, but she is out for the day. I was looking at some pictures of this neighobrhood she told me about. Deep Ellum. Looks and sounds nasty. Are there no good parts about that area? What about South Dallas and Oak Cliff? Are those areas okay.

I was talking with a real estate agent and he was telling me that Plano and Richardson are nice. He said that Richardson has had an influx of chinese gangs and is not as safe as it used to be. Can you shed some light on that?

What is the traffic situation in the metroplex like? Are there major traffic jams at rush hour? I expect there to be in a city like Dallas. Anyone know about employment at the Dallas Public library? I work at a library here in AZ and would want to work in a library setting if the pay is good. Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

Daniel True

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Wow, glad I found that out about Denton. I wanted to share that information with our childrens librarian, but she is out for the day. I was looking at some pictures of this neighobrhood she told me about. Deep Ellum. Looks and sounds nasty. Are there no good parts about that area? What about South Dallas and Oak Cliff? Are those areas okay.

I was talking with a real estate agent and he was telling me that Plano and Richardson are nice. He said that Richardson has had an influx of chinese gangs and is not as safe as it used to be. Can you shed some light on that?

What is the traffic situation in the metroplex like? Are there major traffic jams at rush hour? I expect there to be in a city like Dallas. Anyone know about employment at the Dallas Public library? I work at a library here in AZ and would want to work in a library setting if the pay is good. Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

Daniel True

Deep Ellum.......... well, it is all clubs and did attract alot of the goth kids for awhile. One of the oldest clubs down there (opened in the late 80's early 90's) closed up recently. There are some new places going in down there and the city is getting ready to do some kind of lit walkway under the highway overpasses at the parking lot. It's an older warehouse district that clubs, shops and restaurants went into. Check out Victory Park over by the American Airlines Center, McKinney Ave, Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Mockingbird Station, etc to see more of the newer areas of Dallas. Even Greenville Ave which has had clubs/restaurants for decades has a much better appeal than Deep Ellum.

If your going to be going to school at UNT I would not recommend a commute from South Dallas or Oak Cliff, especially if you are also going to be working. It would make for some long hours. I knew some kids that did it but they did not work.

Richardson and Plano. Richardson is very nice. It has some older areas but a lot of nice older areas. There is a small area that has a large influx of asian shops, restaurants, residents, etc but the city is NOT overrun by asian gangs, lol. That's a good one . Richardson is a large suburb of Dallas and home to the Telecom Corridor. The city is pretty much built out, one small parcel left for residential construction. I saw on the news last night that the city is giving incentives to residents to update their homes. Richardson Heights is one older area of Richardson that is in a great school zone, adorable homes, rising values, parks, mature trees, etc. The Canyon Creek area of Richardson is just south of UTD. Plano is another large suburb that also has it's high and low spots. Sadly, all most realtors know about Dallas is to push Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc . If your a young college student you are not going to be terribly happy in these areas even if your not into the party crowd.

Traffic, yes there are traffic jams. It is pretty much heavy in your typical rush hour and not as bad during other times unless something has happened or road construction. Some areas of the metroplex experience heavier traffic than others but it really is not near as bad as what I've encountered in other large cities.

I don't know anything about employment at the Dallas Public Library but most of the cities around here have a great public library system. I'd recommend figuring out which school you are going to attend first and then finding a place to live and a job.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,242,037 times
"all most realtors know about Dallas is to push Plano, Frisco, McKinney"

You just really hate those three places don't you :-)

Understandable. I work with a few true Dallasites and they hate them as well. It seems that the places that are most popular with the transplants are the least popular with the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or