Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM

64 posts, read 347,407 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband was offered a job at a government contracted agency contingent upon a 3 month background check(they go back 15 years)! does anyone know what they are looking for(besides felonies)? Is there a credit check? Why so long?
We are really excited that he was offered the job but we are a bit nervous that the offer will be withdrawn based on something minuscule that we were not anticipating.

Has anyone else had to go through this process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Here's a site that pretty well explains all that a background check may and may not cover:

Employment Background Checks

If there's nothing to hide, there should not be a problem... and yes, I have had these done on me for every consultant job I've had, plus drug tests and sometimes even fingerprinting... no biggie.

A credit check is separate and your hubbie would have had to sign a separate form authorizing them to do that and is usually required if working for any financial institution.

Hope this helps!

http://bestsmileys.com/signs10/1.gif (broken link)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-06-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
I have had to go through it too when I was with the State Department. It really is no big deal if you have nothing to hide and if you don't lie on your application.

Depending on the job and classification level, they may investigate immediate relatives as well. They will do a credit check to see if he is not in financial trouble in case he will be in a position where he will be handling government funds. Kind of get an idea of his spending habits.

Naima

Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
BTDT. They will talk to your neighbors, and all of your former employers, etc. As others have said, as long as you have nothing to hide, you're fine. Make sure the former employers' names you give them are people who LIKED you...if they had an axe to grind and tell the investigators stuff that isn't true, it can make your career HELL...

Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM

The agency is in Arlington, and we are from Chicago, so they probably wont be interviewing our neighbors. He got the job through a recruiting agency and they asked for 6 references, and never gave him a security background form to sign. They never even gave him a form with questions to answer about his background that he could lie about if he had something to hide! We are just concerned because in 98 he was caught driving on a suspended license(no DWI's or anything). And his credit score is not very good. The job is IT related so we don't think that this will matter. A 3 month background check just is intimidating. We don't know if we should start packing or look for another job!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStrom View Post
And his credit score is not very good. The job is IT related so we don't think that this will matter. A 3 month background check just is intimidating. We don't know if we should start packing or look for another job!
Well, I am an IT Consultant and they DO perform a credit check if it is a financial institution or if your duties will include accessing financial data of any kind... they just want to be certain you have no reason to want to co-mingle THEIR funds with YOURS!

And, until you get the final word that he's passed all of their "checks", he's really not received a firm offer, since the offer is normally contingent on his passing them. I've seen several people pulled off assignments where they had let them start working before these checks were completed, only to find something negative when done.

However, I do think you're over-worrying this, so rest easy... I go through this so often, I don't give it a second thought anymore (they've even performed a new check on me when I've just completed an assignment with that same company!), so am betting it all works out for you two as well!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-07-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Well, I am an IT Consultant and they DO perform a credit check if it is a financial institution or if your duties will include accessing financial data of any kind... they just want to be certain you have no reason to want to co-mingle THEIR funds with YOURS!

And, until you get the final word that he's passed all of their "checks", he's really not received a firm offer, since the offer is normally contingent on his passing them. I've seen several people pulled off assignments where they had let them start working before these checks were completed, only to find something negative when done.

However, I do think you're over-worrying this, so rest easy... I go through this so often, I don't give it a second thought anymore (they've even performed a new check on me when I've just completed an assignment with that same company!), so am betting it all works out for you two as well!
Thanks. I guess all that we can do is wait

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM

150 posts, read 857,672 times
DH was hired @ TI years ago where he needed a "top secret" clearance due to the nature of his work which included many defense contracts. We moved here from KY so if there was any interviewing of neighbors that was news to me. They did interview former employers and teachers and we were told a background would include immediate family members. He was hired into the company but was not moved to his permanent position until all the check was complete. Years later he was required to "renew" his clearance but because he had changed positions he opted to not undergo the complete review. They did update his credit status and check for any recent charges/tickets. Considering your husband's proposed position, I wouldn't think the suspended driving license or poor credit would be an issue. I know it can be sort of an anxiety causing thing, but don't let it drive you crazy.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I did some military contracting work (doing their network) about 9-10 years ago. Regular clearance was easy, but "top secret" took forever. My brother worked for TI Defense (before it was bought by Raytheon) at the time - I kept trying to get him to tell me about some of the projects he worked on, but those were "need to know".... dang it!

I think generally, if you have nothing to hide, then no worries. They'll check into your friends, familiy, etc to see if there are any known questionable contacts - look into your travel records, etc, etc. Fun stuff, isn't it?

Brian

Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 21,103 times
Default DUI Charge

I recently received a DUI in December 2012 and I am applying for a government job. Does anyone know if this will affect my chances of getting a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: