U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,027 times
The BB-Q place is Sonny Bryans. Love that place & they are still exactly the same. How bout the nightlife in the late 70's? Myself & few gal friends would hit Bellringer, Foxhunter, Scottland Yard. First place that we would stop would be the bowling alley in which they had a club at the top called The Cuckoos Nest. Holy Cow!! Had so much fun!! The next weekend we would hit all the rock & roll places such as the Bijou, the Old Plantation, Cardis. There were so many places in 5 mile radius.
I remember the Longhorn Ballroom as well as the Electric Ballroom where I saw many a band there. Right down the street from The Longhorn was 2 clubs that were pretty popular in the middle 70's, The Lampost & Thirsty Thirties. Many good memories!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 AM

6,586 posts, read 15,592,564 times
Anyone remember Little Bit of Sweden smorgesboard restaurant?? We went there a lot in the 1970s. In or near Park Cities area. Maybe Lovers Lane/Inwood. All the food was on a big circular spinning thing and you scooped out what you wanted while it went by and when it spun around to the back it went behind a wall and the staff refilled the food supply. It was constantly spinning very very slowly.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:21 PM

15,917 posts, read 24,428,057 times
It was behind the Inwood Theater, a little to the east...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 25,439 times
my uncle owned the playboy lounge on greenville ave. it burned down. his name was red dabbs.
my other uncle owned the players lounge, down on ross ave. and carroll ave. his name kenneth dabbs, other uncle owned the casba over on knox and henderson. jeannie patrone owned a bar on corner of greenville and lovers lane, s.m.u. football players hung out there. can't remember the name. bob whites barbecue was up on greenville, curb and inside. there was many bars now gone.
my aunt's name was margie and she worked at alot of the places, but mainly brownies over on east grand, it stayed open all night. i enjoy going down memory lane too. patsy

Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Default the debonair is on samuel's not the longhorn.

the longhorn is out close to industrial blvd. the debonair had a house band i think the debonairs. patsy

Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Default i think your talking about dickies barbecue.

dickies was by central, and it cooked and sold out and closed.
patsy

Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 AM

2,796 posts, read 3,529,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat cox dabbs View Post
dickies was by central, and it cooked and sold out and closed.
patsy
Last time I checked the original Dickey's BBQ restaurant was still there, at the NEC of Central and Henderson. I ate there every week during the early to mid '80s since my office was a block away.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Anyone remember Little Bit of Sweden smorgesboard restaurant?? We went there a lot in the 1970s. In or near Park Cities area. Maybe Lovers Lane/Inwood. All the food was on a big circular spinning thing and you scooped out what you wanted while it went by and when it spun around to the back it went behind a wall and the staff refilled the food supply. It was constantly spinning very very slowly.
Remember it well. Back when I was young and single, a group of us would occassionally dine there when we had saved up the costly 10 bucks it took to eat all of the steak, shrimp cocktail, and other good stuff you could put away. Great place.

How about Southern Kitchen, speaking of all you can eat. Their crabmeat cocktail and cinnamon rolls were to die for.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
If this qualifies---

I remember a German restaurant called "Kuby's" in University Park (close to SMU) that was fun to go to on Saturdays for pastries and coffee, always bustling.

Also remember "Tolbert's" a chili restaurant that had a lot of Texas memorabilia with a large Lone Star neon sign that twinkled away---they had a country fried steak that was famous also.
Kuby's is still there.

The Tolbert's I frequented was on McKinney, just south of Knox, back in the early to mid '80s. Fantastic food, esp. chili.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
HP Cassidys.....The Gold Rush...Number 3 Lift....Madcap Mollies....Old Theater.....
We would drive in from SFA in Nacogdoches to just drink free at ladies night
Wow, I almost forgot about HP Cassidys. I remember when Tony Dorsett was a rookie, I saw him get into a fight with a bartender at Number 3 Lift.

How about the Abbey Inn - lots of good bands including David Allen Coe, Nitzinger, etc. played there. And at the other end of that strip - the Caboose. And the Point on NW Highway near Sterling Jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas