U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 51,412 times

Advertisements

Help, please. What do you remember about Dallas in the late 70's. Specifically, I am researching the names of clubs and restaurants in the SMU area.
There was a club named "Up Your Alley" over on Yale, I think. And, nearby there was a "dive" bar where SMU football players hung out.
Also, does anyone remember a restaurant with a big chicken on Greenville Avenue? The food was served cafeteria style.
And what about the Point Restaurants? Sort of the sports bars of their time?
Any memories you have would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:57 AM

595 posts, read 2,365,369 times
I remember "The Stables" which was down in that area. It was close to Up your Alley. I don't remember anything with a big chicken.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:46 AM

44,321 posts, read 35,381,178 times
Dallas in the late 1970s?? Can't name any clubs (I was a kid back then), but I know we had fewer buildings in downtown. Reunion Tower had just been built. There was no Uptown. Central Expressway was antiquated. The escarpment waterfall next to Stemmons Freeway had a beer logo (can't remember if it was Lone Star or Pearl?) and an electronic clock. We had six TV stations. Downtown was also a movie set for various JFK movies. The Sportatorium was a hot ticket.......

Shoot, this thread is a great topic without you having to do research on clubs. You should expand this.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 AM

709 posts, read 3,116,748 times
Addison Point is still around.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 51,412 times
Thanks for the tips. A college friend reminded me about Tom Thumb (produce section) on Thursday nights. I just remember waiting in the TT parking lot for the delivery truck from the Dallas Morning News at midnight on Saturdays. We would snag the first edition of the Sunday paper. A news junkie even in my youth. And she also jogged my memory about Andrew's, a place we think we agree was called Chelsea Street Pub and The Old Church.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
If you have the time, review this thread. I am sure we touched on a lot of your questions here.

Remember these?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM

133 posts, read 517,382 times
Default 70s places

If this qualifies---

I remember a German restaurant called "Kuby's" in University Park (close to SMU) that was fun to go to on Saturdays for pastries and coffee, always bustling.

Also remember "Tolbert's" a chili restaurant that had a lot of Texas memorabilia with a large Lone Star neon sign that twinkled away---they had a country fried steak that was famous also.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM

595 posts, read 2,365,369 times
HP Cassidys.....The Gold Rush...Number 3 Lift....Madcap Mollies....Old Theater.....
We would drive in from SFA in Nacogdoches to just drink free at ladies night

Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
I loved the "Pig Stand" over on South Buckner.

That's all I got...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,352,573 times
We used to go to the Silver Helmet club (I think the Cowboys owned it) and remember thinking we were really uptown Charlie Brown. The players were often there and it was so cool.

Dewey Groom's Longhorn Ballroom.

I need help with this one before it drives me crazy. It was a small bar-b-que place that only cooked up so much bar-b-que and when it was sold out, they closed for the day. Just a tiny place, little desk like boothes that lined the wall and if you were lucky enough to get one you had to eat right by the line of customers waiting to place their order. We always took ours outside and in the summertime let the tailgate down on the truck and sat on it and ate. They'd put your order on a middle sized pizza pan. Actually, it was a pretty famous place and it was on the news some years back about it's closing. Cannot for the life of me rememer the name. Maybe Sonny B's or something like that? Grrrrr.....help me out, please.

Great thread, I've just got to get my thinking cap on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or