Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 AM

48 posts, read 158,247 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting the DFW metro in August from the ninth to the thirteenth. I've been looking around a bit for things that would be good to visit, and have come up with a few:

-see a rodeo (I've never seen one, so I would really like to)
-JFK museum
-Richardson museum
-Kimball
-Fair Park (cottonbowl)
-Fort Worth stockyards

Are these places worth visiting casually over a few days?

I'm open to any other suggestions, especially things that have a distinct Texas flavor or things that might not be on the ordinary tourist trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
The Mesquite Rodeo is the place to see rodeo Mesquite Championship Rodeo, but looking at their calendar, rodeos are currently only scheduled on Friday and Saturday night.

August is usually very hot so you want to factor that in to anything you might want to do outside.

Ft. Worth is more Texas-y than Dallas is.

You might see if you can tour Dallas Cowboy Stadium in Arlington. They offer tours as long as nothing is scheduled that day.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Sid Richardson Museum is EXCELLENT for western art. Their Remington and Russell collection is one of the best! http://www.sidrichardsonmuseum.org/

Stockyards is neat. Go in the morning to see the daily cattle drive at 11:30. There are several really good restaurants in the Stockyards, too. Fort Worth Stockyards There is a Stockyards Rodeo, too. Stockyards Championship Rodeo and Pawnee Bill's Wild West Show Fort Worth, Texas This would save you from having to drive all the way over to Mesquite. It is also only held on weekends.

Cotton Bowl is neat, but unless there is an event going on, there won't be much to see because you can't get inside. Fair Park does have some OK museums. Fair Park

Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,897 times
Top NTexas attractions are mostly in FTW, and much of that is explicitly listed, even extolled on Dallas Tour sites.
(a) new Cowboys stadium & Rangers stadium, Tarrant county
(b) Texas Motor Speedway - FTW
(c) Amon Carter Museum - FTW
(d) downtown FTW - superior tourist destination than down dallas

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
there are several art museums in FTW and have not checked but they usually have special exhibition going in the summer

you should also consider visiting the Nasher in Dallas--it is rather unique experience
the Center does a friday night movie event during the summer on the third Friday--which might include your stay

Nasher Sculpture Center - 2010 Spring/Summer Season (http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/Events-Calendar/-til-Midnight/2010-Spring-Summer-Season - broken link)

as well as the Winspear Opera House which is used for other musical venues if there is something you might like--otherwise there are tours of the Winspear available at certain times...at least I think there are but can't find anything when I google for info...

the new Cowboy Stadium does offer tours--you pay--and people who take it are impressed--
the Jones family bought lot of art for the stadium as well--to enliven the large open areas--some of it is worth looking at for its own value

the Stockyards area north of FTW downtown has restaurants--many high $$$ steak places but with good reps for their food--

Fort Worth Stockyards

BillyBob's is hugh country western dance hall with live music most nights and touring acts on weekends-

Sundance Sq the downtown area in FtW is safe, engergized--there are clubs and restaurants--live theater--cinema--shopping--
Fort Worth Official Website - Hotels, Restaurants, Maps, Western Culture - Vacation and Visitors Information from the Official Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau

Grapevine between Dallas and Fort Worth and Granbury SW of Fort Worth about an hour
might also be places you would enjoy touring
Granbury is county seat--has court house, main street with historic bldgs that have shopping and some local restaurants--
Grapevine has an historic train that makes a trip into FTW several times a day--
It is something most people do once even if they live in the area
but the trains are HISTORIC--so they are not AC--
Grapevine also has town sq with historic bldgs/shopping/restaurants--it also has the Grapevine Opry which has music shows every so often--quality might not be all that great frankly though...
https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Th...4/Default.aspx
it is also close to the Gaylor Texan resort--hotel with its restaurants

but it will be HOT in August--we have already had 100 degree days--
some people are not used to being outside in such hot/humid conditions
you should try to schedule any walking/sightseeing for early part of the day if you can
and stuff inside from lunch until later in evening
sun won't go down until close to 9PM and after that cities still reverberate with residual heat...
it can still be close to 100 at 8 pm
you can do it--just stay hydrated--wear a hat (does not have to be a cowboy one)--it helps

Overall most of the areas in FTW--Sundance Sq, Museum District, Stockyards--are safe but that does not mean you can act stupidly--
be aware of your surroundings and you should always lock your car and stow any valuables in the trunk--

I assume you are renting a car because public tranportation is just not going to work with any sightseeing you need to do
go to Walmart and buy a window screen for your windshield to put up when you park the car--I know that sounds like overkill but rental cars never have them and they are an absolute necessity when you park outdoors in our area in summer....
you might even consider getting some of the side panel window shades because the sun does not always just come through the front windshield...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Dallas / Fort Worth Entertainment | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 PM

86 posts, read 199,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Top NTexas attractions are mostly in FTW, and much of that is explicitly listed, even extolled on Dallas Tour sites.
(a) new Cowboys stadium & Rangers stadium, Tarrant county
(b) Texas Motor Speedway - FTW
(c) Amon Carter Museum - FTW
(d) downtown FTW - superior tourist destination than down dallas
What are you talking about? I'm not one to give Ft. Worth the cold shoulder but I'm afraid most people would wholeheartedly disagree that FTW is the destination in North Texas. Sure it has some fun things to see, The Stockyards, Kimbell, W 7th, but let's be serious here. Why would an out of towner want to drive to rural Tarrant County to see an oval racetrack?

Dallas has so much more to offer. Like I said, FTW has some good attractions too, but it's silly to say that "Top NTexas attractions are mostly in FTW"

Last edited by quietthings; 06-27-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM

48 posts, read 158,247 times
Thanks for everybody's imput!

I've modified my list a bit of places to try to get to (this is still open to revision of course):

Sid Richardson Museum-Western Art
Fort Worth Stockyards
Fair Park in Dallas (probably 1 day)
Nasher Sculpture Center
Downtown Fort Worth

The Kimbell museum looks very nice, too, but I don't want to spend too high a fraction of my time in museums.

I had no idea that downtown Fort Worth had as much going on as it does. It looks like I'd be pretty content just to explore there for a few days.

We're not renting a car, we're actually driving there from Delaware. My friend will be starting a masters program out there, and I offered to help with the driving for his trip out. I've always been curious to see Texas, so I thought this would be a good chance. I'll definitely remember to bring a sun blocker for the windshield.

Also, can anybody comment on the Museum of Biblical Art in Dallas? My friend mentioned that as something he'd like to see.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Sounds like a good itinerary!

For dinner in downtown Fort Worth, may I suggest Reata? It is really good, and about as Texan as you can get! Welcome to Reata Restaurants it is also decorated with western art/artifacts and trophy saddles!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Reata is a wonderful place to have some drinks on the penthouse bar and enjoy a dinner INSIDE--
the food is wonderfully updated Texas cuisine
you might be surprised at the number of excellent local restaurants in FTW that don't have to take a backseat to any restaurant...
Joe T's in the Stockyards is someplace that lots of people take visitors--I think the food is mediocre and the drinks are overrated--but the patio is nice area in the evening

just so you can saw you saw it--you probably should tour the Cowboy Stadium--it takes a couple of hours and is ACed so that is good for an afternoon...

the Cowgirl Hall of Fame is in FTW and interesting--modern and historic women have been inducted and it has a unique view of the history of the West where women WERE much more involved than most history texts credit them...

I think the place your friend is interested in is the Biblical Arts Center in Dallas
Biblical Arts Center - Google Maps
The Biblical Arts Center

too bad there is not really a GREAT BBQ restaurant for you to try while in FTW
Angelo's in Stockyard area is probably the best of the bunch or maybe Risky's --dont try Cooper's which is a new place just outside Billy Bob's--it is branch of famous place in Llano but IMO it is just not the real deal and it is expensive...

for good Mexican food--run a search on the FTW forum and see what hits you get...
we like our local place and have eaten at Los Vaqueros in stockyard area but it might be closed now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas