Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
Grapevine would be my choice. But since we don't have kids, I don't know anything about the schools.
Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is VERY well-regarded. Home shere sell for a little higher than in neighboring ISDs because GCISD is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 AM

109 posts, read 398,510 times
We live in Mesquite and my wife works at Parkland. It takes her 45 minutes to get to and from Parkland on an average rush-hour. On terrible traffic days, it might take an hour. She takes Hwy 175 into Dallas. We have been in Mesquite for 2 years with no problems. Very quiet and community-oriented. Good schools. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengar View Post
I am moving to Dallas in about six months and we are so lost on where to move. We went there last winter to check it out and we loved the Allen/ Frisco area, but my husband will be working at Parkland Hospital and we saw the traffic!!!! CRAZY!!! It would take him probably about an hour and a half to commute. So we are trying to get closer. Anyway, we have heard that Rowlett is a good area and aslo Plano. Those places are a better commute, but we are having a hard time deciding on which area. We have two kids so the schools are very important to me. Can anyone please tell me what you think about the Rowlett and Plano areas? How about the school districts there? I heard a rumor that the water in Rowlett is very bad or that something is wrong with it. Is that true? Are there good and a good variety of places to shop in the Rowlett area? Are there bad places of Plano to stay away from? Please help!!!!
There is no way that it would take an hour and a half to get to Parkland from Frisco or Allen. I commute from Frisco to Downtown Dallas it takes me about 40 minutes, today I did it in 36 minutes. He may also have different hours, so he may go to work when traffic is not that bad. Frisco and Allen are very new areas that are very family-oriented. They both have a lot of shopping and dining, as well as a ton of new housing developments with really nice and affordable houses. The schools are also really good.

Plano is also a very nice area. It is older and more established. The schools are very good and there is about every store and restaurant you could imagine there. Most homes there are a little older except for certain areas.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Drove from sw Plano to Parkland for 4 years. Unless you are making this drive in non-traffic times (back and forth), I'd recommend moving closer. Tollway at traffic time = nightmare.

If you're driving there and back in non-traffic time, it'll take about 15 minutes.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 PM

109 posts, read 398,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Drove from sw Plano to Parkland for 4 years. Unless you are making this drive in non-traffic times (back and forth), I'd recommend moving closer. Tollway at traffic time = nightmare.

If you're driving there and back in non-traffic time, it'll take about 15 minutes.
I agree with this statement. Also, pretty much any town that requires taking Hwy 75 during rush hour will be hell when it comes to traffic. This is especially true if you are north of I-635.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM

96 posts, read 421,781 times
Here is another option I haven't read on this thread yet, take Dart train and connect dtn Dallas to TRE or connect with TRE out west like Irving or Midcities, my brother and his wife often take the TRE and like it as it cuts down on commute time.
In another year I think Dart will also stop at the hospital and will eventually connect all the way up to Carrollton/ Coppell area

Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM

129 posts, read 444,724 times
Sachse

Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,702 times
Parkland is in Dallas, so why not consider Dallas? Dallas is more expensive them the suburbs, but you can find a nice home, a nice community, great schools that are not associated (with DISD), and be about 20 minutes from work. It all depends on what you want to pay, how much you want to drive, and if you want to live in an area that maintains its property value. Sometimes when you get "inexpensive" you get what you pay for. Just do more research. People seem to be very honest in these forums.
The suburbs are nice and an inexpensive way to go with good school, but the commute can be brutal for many. Good luck to you. If you are interested in the Lakewood area at all, let me know. We live in Lakewood and there are soooo many doctors, nurses, and techs that work at Parkland, Medical City, Baylor, and Presbyterian Hospital. These hospitals are all 15 to 20 minutes away with out going on any major highways. No kidding.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,702 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment East Dallas has Lakewood Elementary and Stonewall, and they are excellent schools. I just know what people think of DISD, but I live in Lakewood and these are great schools.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
DISD does have great schools. They just happen to be the exception to most of there schools. The schools in the Lakewood area, WT White, Hillcrest and the magnet schools are highly regarded. A person living in the city simply have to do there homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas