Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Royse City for about 8 months now. My husband and I are retired. We had heard that they were thinking of building a Walmart in the area and have yet to see agrocery store. We have to drive about 14 miles to get to any type of shopping and pharmacy. I checked out the pharmacy here in town and they seem to name the hours they work for their own personal time frame and not for the customers. I couldn't take the chance of being without medications that I need to live. We also noticed that when we were looking around we seen a billboard that said "See Historic Royce City". The only thing I have seen that is historic are the roads. They are in terrible shape. You need a four wheeler just to get around all the pot holes. What is the deal with the streets. How can you expect people to want to move into the area when you can't even drive through the town without worrying you will get a flat tire. We were also looking at some of the older homes and some seem to be leaning backwards. There is one home on a cute little street but the neighbors was using their fence to dry their laundry. This town is very backwards and it seem the city officials don't care what their town looks like. Oh well we still are looking to purchase but may change our mind and find something closer to civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
Thanks for the good info, We are in the process of moving out of Garland and have looked in Rowlett, Rockwall and Royce City we are pre approved for 200 K but would prefer to stay withing 150-175 K range sounds like Royce City may give us more home for the money. I work in Terrell and my wife works in Plano so hopefully 205 is not to congested during rush hours. Looks like there is a super walmart on the way right off the freeway.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicjim View Post
Thanks for the good info, We are in the process of moving out of Garland and have looked in Rowlett, Rockwall and Royce City we are pre approved for 200 K but would prefer to stay withing 150-175 K range sounds like Royce City may give us more home for the money. I work in Terrell and my wife works in Plano so hopefully 205 is not to congested during rush hours. Looks like there is a super walmart on the way right off the freeway.

While your commute would be great, Royse City to Plano sounds like a TERRIBLE commute for your wife. Now your commutes are practically opposites, but I would think Rockwall would be the best of the three cities commute wise, but I dont know if your price range will let you into Rockwall. Interesting decision for you. Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicjim View Post
205 isn't as much of a problem as Hwy 78 which is currently under heavy construction for road widening. Hwy 78 has been widened to 6 lanes (3 each way) through Wylie and to the Wal Mart just on the North side of Wylie. Then for whatever warped reason they chose not to widen from the Wal Mart to 205. Instead they are working from 205 and Northward. There is already a huge bottleneck during rush hour at the light on Hwy 78 at Wal Mart to 205. Unfortunately they have plenty of accidents as well which tends to shut it down for long periods.

If you're interested in Royse City then take a trip down I30, across Ray Hubbard, and find an acceptable route that way until HWY 78 construction is finished.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Oh my... On a map, that commute may not look too bad, but in reality, it is awful! My mother did that commute (except she started 10 miles further out in Poetry) for 2 years! It was 1.5 HOURS EACH WAY! Now, at least the PGBT toll road is an option to shave a considerable amount of time off, but its not free, and the time away from the family would really be bad. Personally, I would not recommend it unless you really have no other alternative. Buy in Rowlett, or at least in Rockwall!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
And getting to Plano from 78 is going to be a nightmare as well. You *could* cut thru Wylie and Parker but that would still be a long drive. 78 to 544 will end up a massive slowdown. It's already congested but once they really get the construction on Murphy Rd going, it's going to make the Murphy /544 intersection even worse. (Thanks TxDOT!)

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
If Plano is on the radar and you want country type of living, you might want to look at areas north of US 380 in Collin and Denton Counties, places like Prosper, Celina, Aubrey, Melissa, Anna. There are a lot of car dealerships in Frisco, McKinney and Plano within a decent drive.

I work at the Honda dealership in Frisco, plenty of my managers live out that way. Not a bad commute.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM

88 posts, read 201,886 times
are there are a lot of gas wells/fracking out that way?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjr01 View Post
We have been living in Royse City for about 8 months now. My husband and I are retired. We had heard that they were thinking of building a Walmart in the area and have yet to see a grocery store. We have to drive about 14 miles to get to any type of shopping and pharmacy. I checked out the pharmacy here in town and they seem to name the hours they work for their own personal time frame and not for the customers. I couldn't take the chance of being without medications that I need to live.
There are several reasons for these issues, but it all boils down to "small town politics." (My sister lives in Royse City, and she could explain it in detail!) The short answer is that as long as one certain person is in charge, there will not be a Wal-Mart or even a grocery store in Royse City.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
If your going to consider Royse City I would would strongly consider the city of Fate. It is closer than Royse City and your commute would not be nearly as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas